PDA

View Full Version : Just drill it!

wkbrdr03
03/07/2006, 10:44 PM
So I have figured out that I am putting an 18 gal refugium under my 29 but I have a dilemma. My LFS talked me into drilling my tank but I am not sure where to drill it. I really like the look of the water level going above the black plastic piece. Is there any way to keep this look if I drill my tank? Could I drill it and then put a 90 deg. elbow in to the top. Would this make the sound a lot worse?

drparker
03/07/2006, 11:24 PM
I've drilled my tank just as your think of.

I then took some acrylic sheet cut into three pieces and made an overflow box. It will be 15" long 3" high and 2.75" deep. I'll use 100% silicone to glue it to the tank. Slightly higher than the top of box will be my water line.

Hope this helps,
Drew

drparker
03/07/2006, 11:26 PM
Forgot to mention that I'm putting a 90 on the bulkhead facing down with some holes drill in the top of the 90. I'm hoping this will reduce noise.

drew

wkbrdr03
03/08/2006, 02:26 AM
i'm pretty sure it isn't tempered... but can i just drill it and then but an elbow up to the top of th water? how loud will this be???

drparker
03/08/2006, 06:31 AM
Most tank just temper the bottom. Use a diamond bit. Check-out this thread Step-by-Step: Drilling Holes in Your Glass Tank for Bulkheads (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=603816)

You could just go with the 90, however that's a very small area that's skimming the surface water of you tank. The larger the area the better a skimmer and sump work.

The designs for quit drains all have a upside down U with holes to add air.

I have a CPR overflow on my tank now with an upward facing hole and it makes a loud sucking sound unless I put a tube down the middle to add air. I have to adjust exactly where the tube sits to get rid if the noise. You could try putting an airline in yours, might work.