PDA

View Full Version : Miracle mud in refugium. Do I ever need to replace?

rhenie
03/07/2006, 10:58 PM
And if so, How?

I have a refugium on my140G tank. Per my LFS instruction as as newbie, I created the sandbed in the refugium with miracle mud. It is about 6 inches deep.

Well, now the tank is getting close to a year old and I haven't ever touched this "mud bed".

Does it need any kind of replenishment or replacement or vacuuming or anything?

Just wondering if I should do some maintenance.

Any feedback and/or other's experiences are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rhenie

steve the plumb
03/07/2006, 11:10 PM
Yes if I am not mistaken you have to change half the mud after one or two years then the other half after one or two year.I can't remember the time frame.You should change one side of the mud in your sump at a time.This way you don't lose all the bacteria.The mud loses its ability to substain the bacteria.It basicaly needs to be replenish.I can't remember the time frame.Like I said 1 to 2 years then change half of it.Wait another 1 to 2 years change the other.I would contact ecosystem and ask.It also depends on your bioload and the amount that the mudd is being used.It may last you longer than the given time frame.I would look into it since you have been running it for a year.I think it needs to be changed after a year but like I said I can't remember.I am using the kent product because it was much cheaper.

alazo1
04/02/2006, 12:05 PM
I think you can probably judge if it's exausted if you're macros start dying off.

Albert

drunktank
04/02/2006, 12:07 PM
change half every year

alazo1
04/02/2006, 05:12 PM
Please disregard my second post. It was a reply from another post..LOL.

Albert

affan
04/02/2006, 06:56 PM
I've been running an MM fuge for a little over a year, and haven't had the need to change the mud in it judging from the stable parameters and the steady growth. The manufacturers do recommend that you change 50% every year, though.

mickyfin
04/03/2006, 10:43 AM
Change it if you want to give them more profits. Otherwise, you could probably just dump in more silicate based non marine sand.