PDA

View Full Version : Question about Baking soda!

zimmy1979
03/07/2006, 11:48 PM
Hi,

I read on another post that baking soda will not effect PH past 8.2?..is this true?. I need to add about 3 TSP of Baking Soda in order to raise my ALK from 7 to 10. I have it dissolved in a cup of RO/DI water and was wondering when I could add it to the system. Should I wait until the morning to do it or can I add it at any time?

Thank you!

Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2006, 06:00 AM
Adding unbaked baking soda will not make an immediate pH boost. It actually initially drops pH a tiny bit. You can add it any time.

zimmy1979
03/08/2006, 06:16 AM
Thank you sir.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2006, 07:32 AM
You're welcome.

Happy reefing. :)

zimmy1979
03/08/2006, 01:18 PM
Now I need to figure out how much B-Ionic I need to add to keep my levels the same. I am going to test my alk/calcium tonight and make sure they are at the proper numbers and then see how much they fall over the next day or two. I was also wondering by adding the baking soda I should expect to see my calcium go down correct? Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2006, 01:27 PM
The calcium will decline as corals use it. That is usually fairly slow. Use alkalinity as a gauge for the dosing of equal parts of the additive, unless calcium gets substantially out of whack. :)

zimmy1979
03/08/2006, 01:32 PM
Randy. When I grow up. Can I be just like you? You are my hero *bows*. Thank you again sir!

-Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2006, 03:37 PM
You're welcome.

:)

When I grow up. Can I be just like you?

I don't know. Your location is good. I grew up in LA, but we didn't have computers then. :lol:

zimmy1979
03/09/2006, 01:01 AM
Randy. I tested my ALK today and it was at 10DKH. Perfect. I also tested my PH with a salifert test kit twice and my PH is at 8.6. The color is a lighter blue/greenish so it is possible that it could be around 8.45 to 8.55 (I think it is time to buy a pinpoint). I think that is a little high. I tested it during the day so my PH is at the max highest possible at the moment. Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

Paul

zimmy1979
03/09/2006, 01:37 AM
Randy. I just tested my calcium. It appears to be 380 now. Before I raised my ALK from 7 to 10 it was at around 460. Should I add some ESV B-IONIC part 2 in the morning to raise the calcium? Thanks.

Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/09/2006, 07:10 AM
I also tested my PH with a salifert test kit twice and my PH is at 8.6. The color is a lighter blue/greenish so it is possible that it could be around 8.45 to 8.55 (I think it is time to buy a pinpoint). I think that is a little high. I tested it during the day so my PH is at the max highest possible at the moment. Should I be concerned?

Maybe. Going up to pH 8.5 is OK, and a tad higher is also OK, but it accelerates abiotic precipitation of calcium and alkalinity. If the alk is OK, then that isn't a problem except perhaps in terms of pump maintenance.

I'd give the calcium a one time boost, then try to stick to equal doses going forward. :)

zimmy1979
03/09/2006, 11:24 PM
Randy. I dosed B-Ionic this morning and tested my paremeters which are:

PH: 8.5
DKH: 8
Calcium:400

So let me get this straight. If I raise my calcium more to let's say 425 my DKH will drop back down to 7. I don't understand how I can keep my calcium at 400-450 and my dkh at 10. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/10/2006, 07:42 AM
So let me get this straight. If I raise my calcium more to let's say 425 my DKH will drop back down to 7.

Are you asking me, or telling me that will happen?

It won't drop immediately, but will drop as corals use calcium and alkalinity, and as calcium carbonate precipitates. But you should be able to keep the alkalinity where it is and boost the calcium just fine. Just add some calcium chloride or just the calcium part. :)

zimmy1979
03/10/2006, 11:39 AM
Randy.

Thanks. I was asking you but it would of helped if I included the question mark :). Anyways..I want to thank you again for putting up with my post. Thank you!!.

Paul

bobt2
03/10/2006, 11:42 AM
so, can i use baking soda instead of reefbuilder? is there any difference between the two? thanks bob

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/10/2006, 12:11 PM
so, can i use baking soda instead of reefbuilder? is there any difference between the two? thanks bob

Yes, you can use baking soda. I do not believe there is an important difference between baking soda and Reef Builder. If you want it to raise pH as well, bake it before using it (300 deg F, 1 h). :)

Thanks. I was asking you but it would of helped if I included the question mark

You're welcome.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)

izzy_real
03/10/2006, 05:30 PM
I baked the arm and hammer baking soda today, per your instructions, and the physical property of the baking soda didn't change. So I disolved the soda, after it was baked, in water in a foil pan, while slightly heating it. The soda, after about 30 min. did disolve, do you think the CO2 burned off in the oven, even though it looked the same coming out as it did going in?

I'm one of those silly people that freak out if they think they didn't do it right! So please forgive my OCD!

izzy

TwistedTiger
03/10/2006, 09:05 PM
I couldn't look at it and tell the difference after baking either but when adding it to the tank you could tell the difference by the change in PH upward.

Horace
03/10/2006, 10:25 PM
Zimmy just curious but why are you dead set on haveing your alk at 10? Natural sea water is 7-8dkh. Also, I hope your not raising your alk from 7 - 10 in one shot. That can be very stressful to your corals if you do this. This can cause sudden tissue necrosis in SPS corals for sure. So moral of the story is if you can maintain the Alk between 7-8 w/out any problems then your good to go. Stop f'in with it trying to raise it up so high :P

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/11/2006, 07:15 AM
o I disolved the soda, after it was baked, in water in a foil pan, while slightly heating it. The soda, after about 30 min. did disolve, do you think the CO2 burned off in the oven, even though it looked the same coming out as it did going in?

Baking it does not change the look, it just drives out CO2 and water. I wouldn't dissolve it in a metal container. Use plastic or glass.

izzy_real
03/11/2006, 09:58 AM
I am such an idiot!

Do you think that whole batch is messed up? I used a throw away foil pan, that way I wouldn't have to use a pan I use everyday. Just when you think your ahead of the game, the ref throws a flag!

izzy

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/11/2006, 12:10 PM
It is probably OK, unless it looks corroded or pitted, but I'd avoid metal in the future, unless it is stainless steel. :)

izzy_real
03/11/2006, 12:18 PM
Randy,

This hobby wouldn't be worth doing without dedicated PROFESSIONALS such as yourself. I'm not sure what kind of time you spent developing the three part solutions, but it's awesome that you would share what you discovered to be cost effective ways of keeping our reef inhabitants healthy, and happy.

You are one of the reasons that I decided to become a premium member here at Reef Central. I've always been a big fan of Science, but never had the patients, drive, or self discipline to do what you have done, and I hope you know how many of us respect you for your knowledge, patients, and time that you dedicate to this board.

I'm just a radio guy with a really bad back, and my tank is all I have right now, thank you again, for all you do!

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/11/2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks very much. I appreciate the kind words. :)

zimmy1979
03/12/2006, 12:05 AM
Yes. Once again thank you Randy. I am off to test my water. I think I will keep my DKH around 8 and my Calcium at 400-450. That should be adequate for any SPS and clams I keep in my tank.

Thanks!

paul

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/12/2006, 05:55 AM
:thumbsup:

Good luck!

fuzz1974
03/12/2006, 10:59 AM
I have a question regarding raising my ph. Over the past couple weeks I have seen it drop to it's lowest point to date, it is 7.8. I have been reading on here and I didn't see anything as to how mush baking soda a guy should use. I gathered to bake it for about an hour at 300 degrees F. How much does it take? Do I bake it on a cookie sheet, and then mix it with RO water in a plastic container? Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Fuzz

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/12/2006, 12:23 PM
The baked baking soda should be dosed to maintain alkalinity, not pH. If you need alkalinity, then this calculatotr shows how much to use:

Reef chemicals calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

If you do not need alkalinity, then you should not dose any, as it will just push alkalinity too high.

Adding 0.5 meq/L (1.4 dKH) of baked baking soda will push pH up by about 0.3 pH units in the short term. :)

This article may help:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

fuzz1974
03/12/2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks Randy.

Fuzz

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/12/2006, 04:00 PM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)