PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp ATTACKS Anemone !!!

bjonesjr1
03/08/2006, 12:13 AM
Hello everyone, I currently have 3 peppermint shrimp in my 55 gallon tank, & I also have one pink tip anemone... After I feed my anemone... & when he is done sometimes a day later or two he spits out what he doesn't want, as soon as he does that it seems the peppermint shrimp can smell it and they go right towards him like their was nothing their. They try to steal the uneaten stuff before the anemone even gets rid of it... the anemone seems to fight back and not let go, its kind of amusing to watch but afterwards the shrimp prevails and gets the meat and the anemone goes back to doing what it does trying to catch more food... is this safe for my anemone or is that just normal for the peppermint shrimp to go at with the anemone....

thanks for the input....

bjonesjr1

SVXH6
03/08/2006, 12:15 AM
it can injure the mouth of the anemone.. which could lead to infection or worse death, this is very stressful to the anemone.. if its spitting up food maybe there is something wrong with it health wise or you just may be feeding too much.. i would keep the shrimp away though..HTH

bjonesjr1
03/08/2006, 12:19 AM
I feed it silver sides but I cut one up into 3 or 4 pieces and feed maybe 2 pieces once a week... it might be to much ??? but the anemone seems to just shrink all its tenticles in like its trying to catch the shrimp and the shrimp trys to get away.... sometimes i think the anemone will eat the shrimp if it could but doesn't... I thought the anemone would sting the shrimp in to leaving it alone... but I think im going to take out the shrimp if they keep doing that to the anemone and just put them back when I have more live rock in the tank to keep them busy and not messing with the anemone

bjonesjr1

tag
03/08/2006, 01:18 PM
if your anemone is spitting food out, the sizes are too large. cut them into even smaller pieces.

bjonesjr1
03/08/2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks I will be sure to do that... Whats a good amount of time's to feed the anemone so that it stays healthy...

bjonesjr1

tag
03/08/2006, 04:09 PM
if you want it to grow fast, every other day..but small pieces..and mix it up...flakes, shrimp, oyster

Drewcipher
03/08/2006, 04:16 PM
We got rid of a shrimp as it beat the cr** out of the anemone. When feeding the anemone, the shrimp came right over and took the food before the anemone could eat it. We moved the shrimp to another tank, but the damage was done, the BTA never recovered from the abuse.

bjonesjr1
03/08/2006, 05:09 PM
how long do pink tip anemone's usally live ??? and how big do they get ??? I know its not a special kind of anemone.... I just thought it looked cool but to later find out that it is aggresive with other tank mates I may just end up taking him out unless I don't get any other ones...

bjonesjr1

M. Python
03/08/2006, 05:18 PM
Believe it or not, peppermint shrimp will actually take pieces of your anemone and eat it. They pick at larger anemones and some corals and they are not reef safe in my opinion.

r00onmac
03/08/2006, 06:29 PM
mine eats everything... just ate a carnation my gf bought me... if my gf wasnt attached id toss him down the toilet... he picks at anything and everything that is new in the tank... any time i get new snails he eats 1 or 2 before he stops and at a zoo when i put the new branch in a few months back... always stealing flakes from my torch coral that my onyx takes careful time to feed to it... these buggers are annoying...

bjonesjr1
03/08/2006, 09:13 PM
I think i'm just going to take them little things out and throw them on ther :furious: skillet :furious: and have me some shrimp skewers:dance: ... lol but for sure im going to take them out before I put my new shipment of live rock in the tank seems like their a newsance and will bother my new additions !!! ........... :eek1: if they can read this better enjoy it while it lasts boys:lmao: ........... (if they can acces the internet from the tank)......... alittle dry humor:beer:

bjonesjr1:lolspin: :lolspin: :lolspin: :lolspin:

bjonesjr1
03/09/2006, 08:24 PM
mmmmmmmmm them shrimp were good......
great with some emerald seasoning

Reeferhead
11/01/2007, 07:36 AM
Ok, I've got the same problem. How do you trap the shrimp? I tried the cut up and inverted soda bottle trap last night and just caught nassarius snails.

Reeferhead
11/01/2007, 01:39 PM
Success! The coke bottle trick worked after all. I put it in last night and checked this morning... nothing but nassarius snails. However, my wife just called me at work, and we got the little bastage!

Reefynewby
11/01/2007, 05:47 PM
just a quick note: have you checked the possiblity of a camelback? camelbacks are more aggressive and bolder, and have a tendency to pick at things like corals.:mad2:

Reeferhead
11/05/2007, 11:13 AM
No, its not and camelback and its never bothered anything other than aptasia until this point. Its in my frag tank now and the RBTA has recovered nicely.

Monstrigity
11/05/2007, 04:36 PM
I have had the same problem with my RBTA and a huge peppermint shrimp for the last 2 years. He didn't get that big by being stupid so I have given up trying to catch him. When I feed the anemone I have to stand gaurd and push him away constantly for about 5 minutes. If I could catch that son of a B*TCH I'd send him out to dinner with the puffer!

timrandlerv10
11/06/2007, 01:31 AM
hey, if you catch them, i'll pay shipping [2 day should be fine right? :) ] and you can rest assured one of two things will happen: they will have found a nice home, or, like the other $150 worth of shrimp, they'll find by 16" bta has a sweet tooth :D
6 peppermints
3 skunk cleaner
3 scarlett

(sidenote: aiptasia are anemones, right? we know peppermints eat aiptasia, right? i can offer you what we call the southern corallary: peppermint shrimp are funny, right? rednecks eat funny things on bets, right? (((see where this is going?)))

Tim
(from alabama)

zotzer
11/06/2007, 07:31 AM
My female clown keeps the shrimp out. Actually, I think she may have killed my new cleaner shrimp. She was back in the rockwork behind the anemone (which she never does) for a long time the other night, and I haven't seen the cleaner shrimp since. :(

Tracy

Slakker
11/06/2007, 01:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11120743#post11120743 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reeferhead
No, its not and camelback and its never bothered anything other than aptasia until this point. Its in my frag tank now and the RBTA has recovered nicely.

I had a peppermint shrimp that got aggressive with a newly introduced Frogspawn. Some shrimp seem to become aggressive for no apparent reason, and I ended up trading mine off to a local reefer with an aiptasia problem.