PDA

View Full Version : This is really weird!!!

tonkadawg
03/08/2006, 06:50 AM
I have my ACII set up to control my heaters and lights - like most every other AC user. I also have my chiller hooked up, but not being controlled by the ACII

I have my t5s and VHOs come on at 0800 and off at 2000. My MHs come on at 1400 and off at 1800. During this time period, my ACII temp reading, my thermometer reading and chiller temp reading are all about the same - 78* +/-.

Now for the strange part - at 2000 all my main lights are off, and the lights on my sump kick on (2x96 pc on a workhorse7 ballast). As soon as this happens, the ACII temp reading drops to low 70s and even mid 60s! However, thermometer reading and chiller temp reading are still at 78*. Then of course my heaters kick on, which drives up the temp which causes the chiller to kick on.

So for the entire reverse photo period (12hrs) the ACII + heaters are fighting against the chiller.

Then again, as soon as 0800 hits, the pc's shut off, the t5s and vho kick on, everything is back to normal.

Any ideas?

cwegescheide
03/08/2006, 09:04 AM
sounds to me like some kind of electrical interference given off by your PC lights over your sump? I would make sure your temperature probe is far away from your electrical cords for the light. I have no idea but I have had wierd things like that happen with meters when I have them too close to other electrical appliances. Good luck

Chris

tonkadawg
03/08/2006, 09:14 AM
Yeah I was thinking about that too, but I have the probes run on the left side of the tank, and the lights and ballast are on the right. So the wires for both are completely seperate and not crossing one another...

clp
03/08/2006, 11:02 AM
Make sure that the hood/reflector for the PC lights is grounded.

Curt

tonkadawg
03/08/2006, 11:29 AM
Curt, thanks for the reply. Thinking off the top of my head, I don't think this set of lights is grounded. Will double check tonight.

Thanks again,

Matt

tonkadawg
03/09/2006, 07:53 PM
Hey Curt,

I just grounded the ballast and that didn't work, but then I just re-read what you said about grounding the hood/reflector. Am I reading that clearly? You want me to attach a wire to the actual reflectors and ground it to some metal close by?

Matt

crumbletop
03/18/2006, 10:44 AM
I'm new to the controller thing (just got an AC Jr.), but it sounds to me like it might be related to where your temp probe is. Is it well under water? It sounds like you have your temp probe in your display. It would make sense if the probe was close to the surface in the display tank that the lights could cause it to read a higher temp, and then lower when the lights go off. Maybe try putting your temp probe in your sump?

Jack

tonkadawg
03/20/2006, 01:06 PM
probe is in the sump, with at least 18" of space between it and the lights. Reading from your post it sounds like you are suggesting that the temp is raising when the lights are on and dropping when they are off - the rise being caused by the heat from the lights and vice versa?

Unfortunately this isn't the case - the temp reading is dropping 10 degrees in the first 30 seconds that the light is on.

I still need to find some time to ground the reflectors - I should be in town this weekend and will give it a try then and report back.

Thanks for all the help