PDA

View Full Version : Reef Evolution Suppliments... too much, too fast?

chiefrokka
03/08/2006, 09:36 AM
I just got an Aqua Drip container from someone with some kalkwasser and 3 "Reef Evolution" suppliment bottles.

- Reef Evolution Strontium Concentrate
- Reef Evolution Potassium Iodide Concentrate
- Reef Evolution Trace Elements Concentrate

My question is, can you put like a teaspoon of all 3 of them at once in the drip container and let it drip over 12-24 hours with some RO water? or should you only do one at a time, or none at all? Should I put a teaspoon of a bottle one week... then next week put a different bottle, and 3rd week do other, then 4 week do kalkwasser? can you mix those bottles with kalkwasser mix as well? what should I do if anything? I figured I have the bottles wouldn't hurt to use em.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2006, 09:54 AM
I personally wouldn't add any of them (and I don't add anything similar), except the limewater (kalkwasser).

All that I add in addition to limewater is iron for macroalgae and silica for sponges/doiatoms/snails.

This article describes the things that I think are worth monitoring/controlling/supplementing:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

chiefrokka
03/08/2006, 10:38 AM
are they bad to add though? do they hurt to add it or are they just a waste of time?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2006, 11:15 AM
If the iodine and strontium do not rise above natural levels, then there is no harm, but you'd need a kit to know. With Instant Ocean, for example, strontium usually runs above natural levels in my system without any supplements.

I do not like trace element cocktails that you add whether you need any of the individual ingredients or not, because they may do as much harm as good, depending on what exactly is in them, and how much, and how much is already in the tank.

Does it say what it contains?

chiefrokka
03/08/2006, 11:29 AM
no, it doesn't say what they contain.. just says water and trace elements or whatever the bottle says it is

chiefrokka
03/08/2006, 11:39 AM
Original Post (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6908997#post6908997)

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/08/2006, 11:43 AM
no, it doesn't say what they contain.. just says water and trace elements or whatever the bottle says it is

Then I would not use it. :)