PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater Tear Down Help Please!

commanderrabb22
03/08/2006, 12:27 PM
Hello everyone, well my last fish in my saltwater tank died today :(. I'm gonna turn my saltwater tank into a freshwater for now until I have the time and money to really dedicate to the hobby. My question is what should I do with the live rock? I figured I could hold on to it for in the future, should I just dry it out and how should I do that best? Right now it is below freezing at night here in buffalo so I don't think I should stick it outside and I don't want it to make the house reek lol. My other question I just thought of was could I possibly encorporate that live rock into my new freshwater system? Would there be any benefits and how should I do it? Take the rock directly from the living saltwater system or let it dry and cure. Thanks for any help it is very much appreciated.

Hattie B
03/08/2006, 12:36 PM
You could always sell it and make a little money for your freshwater. :)

30mini
03/08/2006, 12:45 PM
What kind of freshwater are you going to? If your going to Cichlids, they actually like the High PH that the live sand, and live rock give off. If you wanted to, you could just keep that stuff and put freshwater in your tank, let it cycle through, and get some African Cichlids, and just go that route!

Flyflicker
03/08/2006, 12:46 PM
Agreed.

Flyflicker
03/08/2006, 12:47 PM
Sorry, I agree with Tango05.

commanderrabb22
03/08/2006, 12:52 PM
Yeah that is a good idea Tango, it's jus that I will be doing a SW again in the future so I'd like to hold on to it. No Chillids just regular tropical fish like some tetras, angels basically, simple easy to keep stuff. lol.

30mini
03/08/2006, 12:55 PM
Cichlids are easy to keep! At least in my opinion! If you get some plants, and plant the aquarium, there is a constant replenishing food supply! And just an FYI, when Angels get big enough, they are considered Cichlids

tibbs2
03/08/2006, 01:00 PM
I would sell your live rock. You will make more money selling it as "live" than if you wait later when it is dried out and then trying to sell it.

commanderrabb22
03/08/2006, 01:05 PM
I'll have to look into chilads more. I'm not going to be selling my live rock dead or alive because I'm going to use it in the future and I figure i'll be paying more if I sell it back then buy it at a later date.

orionsmamma
03/08/2006, 01:08 PM
If you do plan on using it in the future, you could just put it in a tub with a heater and powerhead. Do water changes every couple of weeks, and that will keep it alive.

If you do dry it out, all you have is very expensive rock...it will not be "live rock" anymore; and you will have to buy more live rock to seed it. even if you buy a large amount of LR to seed it with, it is still going to take awhile before it becomes live rock again.

FWIW
Donna

MCary
03/08/2006, 01:17 PM
If you are eco conscience and concerned about the overharvesting and distruction of the reefs you should sell it. While its still live.