PDA

View Full Version : humback cowfish in a reef?


Drake1
03/08/2006, 09:09 PM
i have read many different things about Humback cowfish in ref tanks..some saying yes and others saying no. what one is it? will they eat my corals in my 125 gallon reef?
thanks Jeff

davocean
03/09/2006, 12:43 PM
I'm not familiar w/ "humpback" cow, but I had cow(wife bought,
I knew it was a bad idea)
It ate EVERYTHING, clams, corals, rocks, seafans, you name it ,it ate it!
Ate till it's mouth bled, ate algae on pump intakes(and always got stuck and had to be rescued all the time, and thats how it died)
I will NEVER have one EVER again!!!

davocean
03/09/2006, 12:44 PM
I'm not familiar w/ "humpback" cow, but I had cow(wife bought,
I knew it was a bad idea)
It ate EVERYTHING, clams, corals, rocks, seafans, you name it ,it ate it!
Ate till it's mouth bled, ate algae on pump intakes(and always got stuck and had to be rescued all the time, and thats how it died)
I will NEVER have one EVER again!!!

davocean
03/09/2006, 12:44 PM
I'm not familiar w/ "humpback" cow, but I had cow(wife bought,
I knew it was a bad idea)
It ate EVERYTHING, clams, corals, rocks, seafans, you name it ,it ate it!
Ate till it's mouth bled, ate algae on pump intakes(and always got stuck and had to be rescued all the time, and thats how it died)
I will NEVER have one EVER again!!!

davocean
03/09/2006, 12:44 PM
I'm not familiar w/ "humpback" cow, but I had cow(wife bought,
I knew it was a bad idea)
It ate EVERYTHING, clams, corals, rocks, seafans, you name it ,it ate it!
Ate till it's mouth bled, ate algae on pump intakes(and always got stuck and had to be rescued all the time, and thats how it died)
I will NEVER have one EVER again!!!

davocean
03/09/2006, 12:44 PM
I'm not familiar w/ "humpback" cow, but I had cow(wife bought,
I knew it was a bad idea)
It ate EVERYTHING, clams, corals, rocks, seafans, you name it ,it ate it!
Ate till it's mouth bled, ate algae on pump intakes(and always got stuck and had to be rescued all the time, and thats how it died)
I will NEVER have one EVER again!!!

davocean
03/09/2006, 12:46 PM
I didn't mean to post 5 times
For some reason submitting reply is taking a loooong time

Reefmedic79
03/09/2006, 01:25 PM
I personally wouldn't trust a cowfish in a reef tank as they are crustacean eaters.

On a side note, some if not all of them have toxic slime and toxins in thier body that when overly stressed or if it dies can nuke the entire tank.

rustybucket145
03/09/2006, 01:31 PM
My mom has had a Long Horned Cow fish in her reef for almost 6mos now and it is her favorite fish. When she puts her hands in the tank the cowfish will rub up against her and nibble at her fingers. It has never touched a coral and she has a little of everything LPS, SPS and Soft. She actually has the thing trained to react to her voice. For instance if it is on one side of the tank she can say "Come here Moo Moo (the fish's name)" and the fish will swim right over to her and just look at her.

cristhiam
03/09/2006, 02:40 PM
I love the cowfish longhorn, Randy Holmes (Chemistry Forum) has one and never had a problem with it. I'm considering one my self. It's always a 50/50 chance, I had a hippo tang pick on my LPS (supposed to be reef save). At least cowfish are easy to catch :)

Drake1
03/09/2006, 08:30 PM
i have also had a cowfish and died when it got stuck in a pump, but i have seen how BIG the longhorn can get at the pet store and there is NOOO way it could fit in my 125 but i have seen that humback one only get 6 inches at there longest but still not sure if the humpback are reefsafe, my long horn only at at my feather dusters
jeff

Amphiprion
03/09/2006, 09:06 PM
Are you referring to Tetrasomus gibbosus? Be aware that all Ostraciids have potent toxins. The family also seems to be quite susceptible to ich. Another thing that is overlooked is appropriate amount of food. Where the stomach is encased, you cannot see it and tell if the fish is eating enough. Always err on the side of more food for these fish. Like everyone has said, htey are not necessarily reef safe, greedily eating any crustaceans and other benthic life (sometimes coral). Overly strong current should also be avoided. BTW, this species reaches nearly a foot, not 6 inches.