PDA

View Full Version : Stocking help/ideas

ockers
03/08/2006, 10:48 PM
Hi all,

I’m after some stocking advice

A bit of background first. I moved house a few months ago and managed to break my old tank during the move :eek: It was a big, ugly cabinet/4' tank with full reef setup. Anyway, cut a long story short my LFS agreed to baby-sit my stock until the new tank arrived. 2 months and several VERY hot days later, all that is left is live rock, a few snails, a couple of crabs and a pistol shrimp that decided to hop out when I reclaimed the rock. He stayed in the shop! :) :)

RIP 4” tomato clown, 4” Blue tang, 2” Bicolour angel, anemone, several brittle stars, a few urchins and A LOT of corals, LPS, Zoo’s, shrooms, leathers etc.
We bought the tank off ebay 3 years ago, so some of that stuff and the 2 larger fish were at least 6-7 years old.:( :( :( Very sad

After much deliberation, I decided on FOWLR setup. Mainly to do away with the powerful lighting, (Read heat!). Also I suppose after 5 or 6 years reefkeeping, I fancy something different

So I’m back to square 1

72”x20”x14” tank
20”x12”x12” sump
Turboflotor multi
Heaps of live rock
2-3 Inch sand bed
Natural sea water
UV thingy

Flow wise
2500lph return (not accounting for 3’head)
2000lph pump on a 5’ spraybar
1400lph rotating powerhead
I have a few more powerheads if I need them later

Lighting
2 x 2’ 18w tubes. Not sure what they are, bought from the hardware store. They’re Japanese! Look nice though!!

I was originally thinking of eventually stocking something like
Harlequin tuskfish
Red tooth trigger
Yellow puffer
Maybe a snowflake

But I’m stuck between wanting the above or more ‘peaceful’ chappies. So I’m after suggestions, what do you think?

To get the thing going I dropped in
2 devil damsels
2 Yellowtail damsels
2 black sea cucumbers
1 urchin

I can remove the damsels in the future if needed, (I assume if I go for the trigger he will do that for me!?!?!?).

Any ideas or experiences would be appreciated, I will get the camera out tonight & take a few snaps

marrone
03/08/2006, 10:57 PM
I think the best way to determine stocking is to pick the one or two fish that you really want and then decide what goes with them.

I like Triggers
03/09/2006, 12:59 AM
Those fish seem to go fine with eachother. That tank works out to be under 90 gallons. That will inefficient for the life of the red tooth trigger (odonus niger?), those get real big, and need a minimum of 125 gallons. 14" tank is not very much either, all fish must not get even close to 14" or they will not be able to turn around. A snowflake eel probably would be ok, as would the H tusk and possibly the puffer would be too, but im unsure of the exact species you want.

ockers
03/09/2006, 02:58 AM
Hi Triggers,

I'm kinda with you on that too, my mindset is drifting more and more towards peaceful and smaller inhabitants

I have put a picture of the tank so far in my gallery, sorry about the crap photos! I will take some better ones with a proper camera and put them up on my website soon

Cheers

TAZ316
03/09/2006, 07:59 AM
I think that you could have all those fish that you picked out first. I have a 80g bow front with
A show size clown trigger
A large queen trigger
A large black volitain
A medium purple tang
And a medium semilarvatus butterfly

aquaman67
03/09/2006, 05:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6915729#post6915729 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TAZ316
I think that you could have all those fish that you picked out first. I have a 80g bow front with
A show size clown trigger
A large queen trigger
A large black volitain
A medium purple tang
And a medium semilarvatus butterfly

Any pics?

Especially the Queen?

TAZ316
03/09/2006, 11:06 PM
Not yet but soon. I'm in the process of getting them on the site.