PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going for halide lighting...

overCee
03/09/2006, 01:01 PM
I am thinking about putting a metal halide fixture over my 30g Oceanic cube so I can keep an anemone and some higher light corals. I would like to hear some opinions about the Coralife Aqualight Advanced Lighting Fixture (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_coralife_aqualight_advanced.asp?CartId=).

It has a hang on tank bracket which appeals to me and is also relatively inexpensive.

To go along with this idea, does anyone know where I could find one for less than $250?

Thanks

overCee
03/10/2006, 08:45 AM
Does anyone have any opinions or experiences with this light? Good or bad? I'd really like to see a comment or two before I potentially blow $250.

Thanks agagin.

dwdenny
03/10/2006, 08:52 AM
I would go with a regular pendant not a clip on. I have not used it nor heard any good or bad reviews on it. If I remeber correctly the 30g cube is what 21" deep. HTH

llewoh05
03/10/2006, 08:57 AM
well i just order a 150 hqi retro setup from www.illuming.com (http://www.illuming.com)
to go on my 10gal mixed tank. it should be here very soon. i got mine for $195. also, check the classified ads on reef central. they always have some great deals on almost everthing you could imagine.

I am also new to the whole MH thing. I currently have 40 watts of PC. Could someone tell me what i should use to adjust the inhabitants to the new and extremely more powerful light im about to put on my tank. i can't adjust the height because of the canopy restrictions. Ive heard people talk about tinted glass and screens. Now are we talking about like stainglass window material and regular bug screen or what. please help me out, i need someone to spell it out for me.

dwdenny
03/10/2006, 09:00 AM
use window screen several layers and remove one layer a week and go from there. If they seem to shrivling up put a layer back on. Just go slow. What are you keeping? I f you need something make it lay flat use some egg create from HD or Lowes cut to fit your tank. HTH

revance
03/10/2006, 09:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6923682#post6923682 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwdenny
I would go with a regular pendant not a clip on. I have not used it nor heard any good or bad reviews on it. If I remeber correctly the 30g cube is what 21" deep. HTH

If you haven't used it... nor heard ANYTHING about it... why are you making a suggestion regarding it?

Anyone out there actually use one of these things? I am also curious.

dwdenny
03/10/2006, 09:12 AM
I said I have not heard good or bad I was thinking about using it but with clip I dont like the idea so I did not get it. Any way I was trying to help but with that attitude good luck.

revance
03/10/2006, 09:23 AM
DISCLAIMER: I am not the original poster, however I am also interested to hear about these.

Suggestion: if you are going to offer advice give some reasoning with it. Otherwise it does nobody any good. You basically said you knew nothing about it, but suggested he not get it anyway. Even with your last post... all you said was "I don't like the idea". WHY?!

Seriously, I (and I'm sure the original poster) would like to know pros & cons of these lights. Anyone have experience with them or at least heard of other people's experiences? Opinions are much appreciated.

dwdenny
03/10/2006, 09:30 AM
Ok I feel that it could be a hazard and easily knocked off and fall in or out of the tank for that matter. For 250 I think there are better lighting out there. I am sure there are people that use them look in the nano reef forum and I bet you can get a better response there with more input. I personally would like something in the middle of the tank that I could adjust easier then what I think (key here think) that would be. JMO take it with a grain of salt.

revance
03/10/2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks! Very helpful :-) That kind of info can start useful discussion.

dwdenny
03/10/2006, 09:51 AM
no problem.