PDA

View Full Version : Can't keep any angels why?

marchow
03/09/2006, 12:02 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been in the hobby for over 4 years and still enjoying it to the fullest.

I have a question. For some reason, I can't seem to be able to keep any type of angels, such as coral beauties, potters, and such.

I have been able to successfully keep damsels, clowns, wrasses, tangs, gobies, and so forth, but I can't seem to have any luck with angels, particularly coral beauties. Any ideas?

The water quality is comparable to another tank that has been able to house coral beauties with no issues.

The last one just died with no visible marks of ich, parasites, cloudy eyes, etc.

thanks

MCary
03/09/2006, 12:04 PM
Interesting, I haven't had any trouble. I do know angels like sponges in there diet. But I'm sure you have tryed diet designed for angels. Good luclk.

davidcalgary29
03/09/2006, 12:52 PM
Interesting; I've just posted two threads, both in this forum and in "fish diseases", about the same problem. I have, however, been able to keep centropyge angels in my tanks; it's only the large angels that seem to be succumbing to some malady.

Are your angels displaying any symptoms at all before death?

RichConley
03/09/2006, 01:44 PM
Centropyge angels dont need sponge, they need algae.

You've got some pretty aggressive fish in that tank, maybe theyre just not settling in well?

fishman805
03/09/2006, 03:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6918331#post6918331 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Centropyge angels dont need sponge, they need algae.

You've got some pretty aggressive fish in that tank, maybe theyre just not settling in well?

I was not aware of the fact that dwarf angels did not have the same dietary requirements as other angels... Where did you hear about that? Most sites I've visited say that they require a "high - quality angel food preperation " to thrive.... :confused:

I've not had any issues so far keeping my Bi-Color Angel happy. So far the only food he eats is spectrum pellets and I do plan on getting some frozen Angel formula that's got sponge in it...

Although I can keep fish like Copper Bands and Angels, I can't seem to keep Lionfish for more than 48 hours.... While others can keep them thriving in toilet water:lol:

Oh well.... I don't know what to tell you other than you might consider getting them from an on-line vendor like MarineDepot... That's where I got my Bi-Color from....

Bob

RichConley
03/09/2006, 03:39 PM
Care: Dwarf angels, unlike their larger brethren are notably not as dependent on sponge materials for nutrition. Algae is very important, and accounts for nearly 70% of their total intake in natural habitats. Some keepers will culture rocks within a refugium system, allowing them to overgrow with algae and then placing them within the main tank for feeding. However dried flakes, frozen fares and fresh greens will be readily accepted. A varied diet will ensure healthy colouration and metabolic develope

from http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/445.htm

I've seen many other sites/experts mention it too. Thats why there are specific dwarf angel foods too. Mine LOVES spirulina flakes

RichConley
03/09/2006, 03:40 PM
marchow, have you tried buying from other places? your LFS may be treating them with something that is eventually killing them.

Sports Girl
03/09/2006, 04:14 PM
Marchow-

I had the same problem for the longest time with CB's; they would live for a couple of days then mysteriously die. I now have had one in my tank for over a month and it is thriving. The only thing that I can think of that has changed is the tankmates. My parameters have always been at 0 for ammonia and nitrites and my nitrate is only slightly detectable. Jub Jub's (the CB) tankmates are: uniquely sweet tomato clown, firefish, p.j. cardinal, scooter dragonet and orange spotted watch man goby. Also, lots of live rock with grazable algae would be helpful, IMO.

JENnKerry
03/09/2006, 04:43 PM
Dwarfs and larger angels both benefit from algae and sponges. But it seems like dwarfs need more algae than sponge and vice versa for the larger ones. I feed my coral beauty and bi-color both and they love it.

davidcalgary29
03/09/2006, 04:58 PM
Do large angels with deficient diets simply die without any sign of nutritional deficiency, then? I still can't understand why my Queen, which was fat and seemed happy, suffered some type of paralytic attack and died yesterday. I fed it a wide variety of angel foods, and had assumed that its nutritional needs were being met. :confused:

JENnKerry
03/09/2006, 05:03 PM
How long have you had it?

davidcalgary29
03/09/2006, 05:07 PM
Four months, and this is the reason why I'm puzzled. I would have expected an angel to be suffering from nutritional deficiency to display ragged fins, cloudy eyes, poor coloration, general ill health and disease, etc., but it was boisterous and active two days ago. And I hadn't thought that genicanthus angels (e.g. my deceased female swallowtail) required sponge at all.

davidcalgary29
03/09/2006, 05:11 PM
Now that I think about it, do you think that the deaths could be attributed to metal poisoning? Partner dropped a paperclip in the tank about two months ago, but it slipped right down into the LR and I didn't want to break down the tank to retrieve it. I wouldn't have thought this to be the cause, as inverts are fine, but would appreciate input on this.

JENnKerry
03/09/2006, 05:41 PM
Could also maybe be cyanide poisoning. The fish will appear to be healthy and eating fine but what it does is basically shut down the digestive system. So the fish is eating, but not getting any nutrients. This is something that won't happen overnight. Can you tell if your fish are gaining weight?