PDA

View Full Version : 55 g SWAP

The Gnome
03/09/2006, 03:13 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there happens to have a 55g NON TEMPERED aquarium around that they wouldn't mind trading for my 55g TEMPERED. I need this for a sump, so its going to have to be drilled for intake and outake respectively.

This is pivotal to my project and I cannot proceed without it !

xroads
03/09/2006, 04:33 PM
How can I tell if it is tempered?

The Gnome
03/09/2006, 04:40 PM
Well, other than trying to cut it and it smashes into a millions shards of sadness, there are a few ways that I've learned from other people.

Many times, the brand of the tank could tell if it's tempered or not, some companies temper all the glass they put out, others only do some and others yet don't temper at all.

I would check the whole tank and look for a little brand on there, sometimes on the bottom or the corners (front or back) there's a little insignia burned on there or something. "tempered"

Some experienced people can just tap the glass and tell if it's tempered or not. I guess it makes a different sort of sound.

If you find out that your tank isn't tempered, PM me ! I noticed you live in Waterloo as well ... maybe we could swap :D

williamh
03/09/2006, 04:58 PM
is'nt there a way to tell if you take a polarized(sp?) lens to the glass and turn it if the lens turns really dark it is tempered if it stays clear its not. Correct?

Will

got2lb
03/09/2006, 11:40 PM
Supposedly you can take 2 polarized lenses and look through them some how and you can tell if it's tempered. Can't remember exactly how to do it though.

I've also heard if you take a glass cutter and try cutting into the tempered glass it won't cut the glass. It just kind of slides across. At least it won't make the "crunching" noise that normal glass does when you cut it.

By the way GOOD LUCK trying to find a 55 gal. that's not tempered. I think there's a better chance of the Cubs winning the World Series! :D

thugmebaby
03/10/2006, 12:02 AM
If its a ALL glass tank:
WHITE TAG: Tempered bottom and normal sides
GREEN TAG: 100% tempered

Perfecto (usally rounded corners)
100% TEMPERED

Oceanic tank:
Normally only bottom tempered unless its a big tank and then its 100% NON tempered.

As for other tanks sorry can't help much.

BTW if its ANY tank from Walmart or such its 100% tempered and CAN NOT be drilled.

got2lb
03/10/2006, 12:08 AM
Like I said good luck! :D

If you do try and drill it let me know so I can video it blowing up! :blown:

I'm using a 55 as a sump as well, but i'm using a submersible pump. You might be better off trying to find someone that has like a 40 breeder or something like that.

The Gnome
03/10/2006, 12:08 PM
How about 75g tanks ? Are those mostly tempered too ??

I really don't want to build my own sump .... but I will if I have to !

I happen to know an acrylic WIZARD :bum:

got2lb
03/10/2006, 12:21 PM
If you know an acrylic WIZARD I would go that way! Way easier to drill and then you can make it any size you want!