PDA

View Full Version : Any fish you regret buying?

Mikeeal
03/09/2006, 04:07 PM
I just wanted to say that I wish I never bought my yellow watchman goby. I feed him once a day, frozen mysis, etc. and all it's doing is degrading my water quality that I work so hard to keep clean. It would be different if I could enjoy the fish, however, everytime I walk into the room, it darts into the rocks and hides. I find myself sneaking up on my tank to see the fish. What's the point?

nanoreefs415
03/09/2006, 04:33 PM
try getting a pistol shrimp for it. maybe that will make him bolder?

WilllisTooL
03/09/2006, 05:05 PM
I have a bluespotted goby and while he does hide when startled he comes out in just a few mins. If you want some fun put some of those real small shrimp that are live, your goby will go nuts hunting them down! Maybe you just have a bum of a goby...

Mikeeal
03/09/2006, 05:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919154#post6919154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanoreefs415
try getting a pistol shrimp for it. maybe that will make him bolder?

There's already one in there with him, I thought the same thing, though they do hang out right next to eachother, he's still a sissy la la.

Mikeeal
03/09/2006, 05:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919379#post6919379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WilllisTooL
Maybe you just have a bum of a goby...

This is the second one. :mad: I'm gonna swear off of gobies all together. :mad2:

Blazer88
03/09/2006, 05:52 PM
How long has he been in there? My Yasha Haze was really shy for the first few months. Now he just spends his day laying out on the sand with Pistol Pete, his best bud.

Fishfreak218
03/09/2006, 06:04 PM
hmm.. Damsels and Royal Gramma.... and Occelaris Clown (SO OVERRATED)

Mikeeal
03/09/2006, 06:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919732#post6919732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Blazer88
How long has he been in there? My Yasha Haze was really shy for the first few months. Now he just spends his day laying out on the sand with Pistol Pete, his best bud.

Yeah, I'm hoping that's what's going on. They've only been in there a few weeks. I'm really impatient.

Cutiewitbooty
03/09/2006, 06:26 PM
Dragon goby, loves to dump sand all over your corals, no matter the tank size. I watched on in a big tank get a scoop of sand got about 5" above all the LR and corals and thats where he dumped it. He almost killed my sun coral :(

Mikeeal
03/09/2006, 06:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919803#post6919803 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fishfreak218
hmm.. Damsels and Royal Gramma.... and Occelaris Clown (SO OVERRATED)

In my opinion they are underrated, since you can atleast SEE those fish.

Mikeeal
03/09/2006, 06:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919916#post6919916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cutiewitbooty
Dragon goby, loves to dump sand all over your corals, no matter the tank size. I watched on in a big tank get a scoop of sand got about 5" above all the LR and corals and thats where he dumped it. He almost killed my sun coral :(

Dang, that would bug me too. Why do we put up with it?

Cutiewitbooty
03/09/2006, 06:30 PM
yeah but they are boring, i like my blue damsel so much better than the flase percula i had. I do love the maroon clowns though, they are more active.

Kinetic
03/09/2006, 06:38 PM
I regret ever getting gobies. They're skiddish, never eat if a nassarius snail is nearby because they get freaked out, and worry me to death because they might die.

Pistol shrimps don't help either.

I regret ever getting gobies,and will never get another one.

I also regret getting my flame angel, but because he ate $200 worth of montipora.

Blazer88
03/09/2006, 07:20 PM
I regret getting a Coral Beauty for my 65G. She was a complete bully and picked at my LPS and softies. About Gobies, I would have to completely disagree. My Yasha isn't scared of anything and just chills on the sand. My Kole Tang (5 x's his size) can bump into him without a care in the world and is almost always out in the open. I guess each fish is different though.

Kinetic
03/09/2006, 07:32 PM
i've had 3 gobies, and they're all extremely skiddish. a dumb nassarius snail that's buried in front of the goby will render the goby dumb. my randalli goby was freaked out by a small hermit crab that had sat in front of his hole. A flake food hit him in the face, and stayed there. He wouldn't eat it. Then the flame angel came by and picked it off his face.

Later when the hermit left, I fed the goby again, spot feeding (which takes so much effort) and he ate the flake. But then the nassarius smelled the food, and came over, this time I squirted the flake right into his face again, and he didn't budge.

So stupid! So frustrating! I don't know why =( I'm just unlucky.

So I told myself to never try to feed the gobies again. if they're hungry enough, they're going to have to fight for food.

somehow they both swim out for flakes / brine / mysis whenever I feed. which is a bit better. but they're skinny, and only eat to keep themselves alive.

=P

Blazer88
03/09/2006, 07:56 PM
Wow, yours do sound pretty stupid, lol. Even the pair I got last week are eating just fine. I am using brine shrimp in an eye dropper and they are nipping at the thing trying to get food out. So far these ones seem pretty smart but still hide a lot when motion is around the tank. I figure they will be fine as they get accustomed to the tank. It does sound like you have pretty bad luck :)

icenine2005
03/09/2006, 08:56 PM
Yellow clown goby.... found it a new home. I'm gonna join in on the "never a goby again club".

ReefCheeks
03/09/2006, 08:59 PM
It's not exactly a fish, but we bought a black brittle star a few weeks ago and all it ever does is sit there, I know serpent stars are known for being too active either but we had one of those before this one and it would eat out of your hand, and it would come out every now and then and let us see it, but not the brittle star... it just sits in the same corner and does nothing ALL the time, so I regret buying a black brittle star, worst ten bucks ever!

MandM
03/09/2006, 11:29 PM
Porcupine puffer. Poops more than it eats.
I love my yellow clown gobies. They were timid at first but I have had them for over 2 years now and come right up to the glass to see if I have food for them.

totaltrev
03/10/2006, 12:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6919917#post6919917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikeeal
In my opinion they are underrated, since you can atleast SEE those fish.

I also regret getting a false perc. He snatches food away from my corals when i try to feed em...and eats till it's freaking bloated...while my other fish starve. In my opinion... the amt of bioload this fish puts out...i could get two small fish like a yellow clown goby and a neon goby.

Kigs
03/10/2006, 01:21 AM
Mike, it's funny that you mentioned it. I had to sneak up on my YWG too for awhile. Now it at least sits still when I approach it, because it learned from my clownfish and neon goby that I approach the tank to feed flake food. He still darts away when I get up to leave the tank though (?) My little brother hates the YWG too; he thinks its so useless since you could rarely see it... but I think they are beautiful, especially when they are biger.

Amanda (AEALOVESHERGIRLS) says her YWG is always out and about... so I'm guessing it's the size of my tank that is causing such shyness from the goby. Anywho, good luck with your second one. Hopfully it'll start coming out more.

Danables
03/10/2006, 01:39 AM
Black and white damsel. He's a meanie to all my other fish! Anyone want him? lol -Dan

Kinetic
03/10/2006, 02:45 AM
let your cat go fishing for the damsel! though i doubt your cat could catch one. =(

EnFuego
03/10/2006, 11:10 AM
yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp. The pistol shrimp just dumped sand on any coral on the sandbed and the goby barely ever came out from their network of tunnels.

Alarmguy66
03/10/2006, 11:26 AM
Arc Eyed Hawkfish. Mean, indestructible, ruthless, long lived. I bet I could put him in my daughters guppy tank and he would live....that is, after he killed everything in it.

Charlie97L
03/10/2006, 01:50 PM
green chromis... i had 2 they swam around a lot, and were really cool, but they chased/bumped/fought all the time... that didn't bother me too much until they started picking on my sixline wrasse. who is wayyyyy cooler. also they tried to harass the cardinal, who was about 2x bigger than them, and he quickly chased them away.

they are in a new home as of yesterday. now my cardinal and banded shrimp are much more visible, so i wonder if there wasn't more terrorizing going on than i thought.

DarthBaiter
03/10/2006, 01:58 PM
Firefish, two of em. They both jumped out of the tank even tho I have it covered. They found a opening about a inchwide and across and jumped out. One two month ago and the other about a week ago. :(

Kreeger1
03/10/2006, 02:02 PM
ANy fish over 50 bucks, just sucks that much more when they Jump, die or get beat up on.
Erik

J3838
03/24/2006, 02:00 AM
I HATE my blue damsel (devil fish)... kills any new fish in the tank.... Such a pest..... Can't give hime away either... any takers?

GroYurOwn
03/24/2006, 06:49 AM
Yes, I completely understand about your blue damsel... we had one in our tank and it drove our diamond back goby out of the tank literally, it chased one of my maroon clowns into a powerhead, it constantly picked at all of the corals, and any frags we bought even small rocks she would knock of the reef into the sand bed... we just got her out two days ago though and took her back to the fish store. It was kind of sad even though i hated her so much. She was my first fish and lasted through the cycling process and everything imbetween. So if you're looking for a hearty fish they're great for it but nothing else!!!

GroYurOwn
03/24/2006, 06:50 AM
^ actually replied by reefcheeks didn't know I was in my friend's name

J3838
03/24/2006, 10:22 AM
Yea I know what you mean as well.... I hate to get rid of him despite how angry i get at him... He's been with me since the day i started the tank (go figure newbie with no knowledge of RC.. lol)... so I'd be sad to see him go.. Plus i know id have to take down all the rockwork in order to catch him.... and in the end... after speaking with the lfs... they told me they would not take him back so... i lose...

ReefCheeks
03/24/2006, 11:26 AM
i felt the same way, then it knocked more stuff over, crossed the line. took half my rockwork out (only have a 10gal) and tried using a net. then got smart and put one of my old clear plastic fish bags from the LFS in there, she swam right into it....i still felt a little bad though, till i started shopping for my new fish! she was evil, thats the bottom line. they say fish only have a couple second memory, but that stupid fish new when i put some new frag or something in, cause the next morning it was always in the friggin sand!

Cutiewitbooty
03/24/2006, 12:34 PM
i love my blue damsel :D I have had 3 before and never had an evil one, the most mine have ever done is tail slap the new commer lol IMO there is no other blue fish that is a more beautiful blue.

klese
03/24/2006, 12:41 PM
Bi-color dottyback: victims include various damsels, six-line wrasse, and a velvet nudibranch.

klangman
03/26/2006, 11:46 PM
purple firefish.... always hides in it's cave and never come out.

chocolateblnt
03/27/2006, 02:18 AM
2 blennies (Bi-Color, Algae)... I can't keep any clams because of 'em ... currently the Bi-Color chases the Sailfin Algae and sometimes nips its' tail however I know it won't kill it so I just let them play fight.

steelhealr
03/27/2006, 06:50 AM
Yellow striped clingfish. Difficult to feed.

Common firefish...either jumps into the sumps constantly or hides in the darthole forever.

SH

The Reefer91
03/27/2006, 09:55 AM
wow, never knew that many fish had problems. in my nano i was gonna have a Maroon clown, Banggai cardinalfish, neon goby and sharknose goby. the idea was they are all tank bred

Hattie B
03/27/2006, 02:26 PM
Bi-Colored.. He bite my pearly Jawfish tail and fins within 20 minutes of being in the tank. And they were in my 135.

I no longer have him and the jawfish is in the nano.

GroYurOwn
03/27/2006, 03:11 PM
doea the bi-color nip at clams?

30galreefkeepr
03/27/2006, 03:48 PM
My yellow watchman has been a JOY I love him to death and he is the favorite in my tank.

Brian5280
03/27/2006, 05:58 PM
I have a firefish I hate. Never comes out. Stupid thing!

alien9168
03/27/2006, 07:23 PM
I HAD a yellow head jawfish for my first saltwater fish. Two days after I got him--even with a covered tank. He jumped out... :(

I was really sad and regreted buying him. ---especially since my father said---while we were still in the lfs---that he thought the fish was insane. :D

-alien

Kigs
03/27/2006, 08:35 PM
My Pseudanthias rubrizonatus, Redband Anthias.

I thought it was so pretty when I first bought it, but now all it does is eats like a pig, steals everyone's food, getting way too big for my tank, and bully all my other fish. Thinking of selling it. *wink*

http://www.bootylife.com/anthias.JPG