PDA

View Full Version : Congrats, you won a Mantis Shrimp!

boodwah
03/09/2006, 08:02 PM
I am having difficulty getting someone to take my hitchhiker. 3cm rust colored mantis shrimp free to good home. Call 423-335-3258. I need rid of him ASAP, I removed a piece of live rock with coral and other stuff on it and put it in an uncycled 10 gallon tank for someone Wednesday who never showed up. So come and get him or he goes swimming in the toilet tomorrow.

Mikeyjer
03/09/2006, 08:13 PM
I think rstegall would want one, I know fishcrazy wants one too. :D

theop
03/09/2006, 08:14 PM
fishcrazy was looking for one for a while, but I don't know if found one yet.

boodwah
03/09/2006, 08:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6920767#post6920767 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mikeyjer
I think rstegall would want one, I know fishcrazy wants one too. :D

He was going to take it but I have not heard from him. He was going to come get it Wednesday. I have emailed him but have got no replys. If you all know how to get in touch with him have him email or call (He has my number).
Thanks!
Wes C

rsteagall
03/09/2006, 08:52 PM
I emailed you a reply at 10:44am this morning. I had to work in Nashville yesterday instead of Shelbyville. No way I could have made it down Manchester way yesterday :(

Please check your email :)

I also just let you a message on your cell phone. I should be awake until around 11pm. I didn't want to call in the middle of the day and wake you up since I know you work 3rd shift.

I'd be able to get it tomorrow evening before you go to work.

Here was my email from gmail:

Ryan Steagall
to Wes
More options 10:44 am (10 hours ago)
Feisty is good.

I'm sorry I couldn't get out your way yesterday. I actually worked
out of Nashville yesterday. When are you available to receive phone
calls? I would hate to call and wake you during hte day. I'm hoping
I can leave work early tomorrow and pick it up before you go to work.

Thanks,
Ryan

boodwah
03/09/2006, 11:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6921134#post6921134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsteagall
I emailed you a reply at 10:44am this morning. I had to work in Nashville yesterday instead of Shelbyville. No way I could have made it down Manchester way yesterday :(

Please check your email :)

I also just let you a message on your cell phone. I should be awake until around 11pm. I didn't want to call in the middle of the day and wake you up since I know you work 3rd shift.

I'd be able to get it tomorrow evening before you go to work.

Here was my email from gmail:

Ryan Steagall
to Wes
More options 10:44 am (10 hours ago)
Feisty is good.

I'm sorry I couldn't get out your way yesterday. I actually worked
out of Nashville yesterday. When are you available to receive phone
calls? I would hate to call and wake you during hte day. I'm hoping
I can leave work early tomorrow and pick it up before you go to work.

Thanks,
Ryan

Dude, I am sorry. This is weird, I haven't got the email. I checked my spam blocker. He's yours if you want him though. But I guess I should have not been so hasty. I just downloaded Nero 7 and I have not received my unlock code yet and they said they emailed it also. And my wife emailed me and I didn't get it. Give me a call in the morning. I'll deliver him if you want me to.:rolleyes: :confused:

fischcrazy
03/10/2006, 07:01 AM
i have been looking for one for a while, but i cant drive for 4 more months and i talked to my parents about taking me to manchester and they got mad:(

Mdwannabe
03/10/2006, 04:28 PM
If it is still available, I'll take him.

Rick

Stinky2426
03/10/2006, 05:14 PM
If Mdwannabe does not want? I take him, if it is still available.

boodwah
03/10/2006, 09:25 PM
Ryan took him and it seems like he has a good home now.

fischcrazy
03/10/2006, 09:51 PM
wow... i thought i was the only person in this club that wanted one. At least i know im not completely insane

rsteagall
03/11/2006, 02:19 PM
lol.

I wish the guy would come out of the rock!

Boofer, that rock has 3 holes in it and they are all attached. It seems like in the middle of that rock, there is a large cavity. I can see the him from all 3 holes. I still don't really know how big he is, except when he turns and moves, I can see his back. I guess he's like 1.5". Its also a pretty color. Maroon, blue, green, purple... My best guess so far is that he is this one:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/images/n_curacaoensis1.jpg

fischcrazy
03/12/2006, 08:27 AM
i doubt its a curacaoinsis since its a hitch hiker. have you been able to see any meral spots on its raptorial appendiges?

rsteagall
03/12/2006, 09:08 AM
I have yet to see him in full. I've only seen parts of its body and matched the coloring to it. According to:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_curacaoensis

It also meets the description:

Functional type: Smasher
Range: Caribbean; Florida to Panama and Curacao
Habitat: Coral reefs; often found in live coral
Home: Cavities in live coral; often has more than one cavity
Availability: Occasionally found as hitchhiker in shipments of LR from Florida and Caribbean

Boofer got him as a hitchhiker from aquacultured LR from Tampa, but he thinks it was actually aquacultured in the Keys.

boodwah
03/12/2006, 08:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6932121#post6932121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsteagall
lol.

I wish the guy would come out of the rock!

Boofer, that rock has 3 holes in it and they are all attached. It seems like in the middle of that rock, there is a large cavity. I can see the him from all 3 holes. I still don't really know how big he is, except when he turns and moves, I can see his back. I guess he's like 1.5". Its also a pretty color. Maroon, blue, green, purple... My best guess so far is that he is this one:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/images/n_curacaoensis1.jpg

I think that is him. He'll come out when he gets hungry. But that looks like the colors he has. And he did look to be about 1.5" when he was out of the rock.

rsteagall
03/12/2006, 08:46 PM
It still hasn't been out of the rock. I tried to blow it out of his hole with a powerhead :P It didn't come out... but one of his molts did. The thing just looked out of his hole at me after I was done like... "Is that all you got?" heh. I'll put some more rock in this 10gal tomorrow to hopefully invite him out more.

SRT80
03/12/2006, 09:26 PM
Thats a cool lookin shrimp there.

Steve

boodwah
03/12/2006, 11:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6936205#post6936205 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsteagall
I have yet to see him in full. I've only seen parts of its body and matched the coloring to it. According to:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/species.php?name=n_curacaoensis

Man, that is one awesome site. If you read it and the links off of it, there is more mantis shrimp information than I ever knew. Thanks for sharing that link!

rsteagall
03/13/2006, 01:04 PM
np.

2nd guess... it could be a wennerae. They vary in color and I checked tbsaltwater.com where you got the rock from. Well... they sell wennerae's. I'm 2nd guessing it because the molt looks like the picture they have on their website. If this is what it is, I'm glad because they are more hardy, more active, and a much better choice for an aquarium!

not my pic...but here is a wennerae:
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/images/n_wennerae1.jpg

boodwah
03/15/2006, 09:18 AM
What a photo. That thing looks as mean as homemade sin.

BTW, I have a star that I have not seen in a little over a week. He might be in that rock. He is an orange-ish sand sifting star. Has he been out and about?

Wes

rsteagall
03/17/2006, 10:16 AM
No star and no chance of it getting lost in my rock. That 10 gal only has 1 other piece or rock (wtih holes) and I added it about 2-3 days after getting the tank together. Its probably just hanging in your rockwork somewhere.

the mantis has locked himself in the hole by taking substrate and blocking the entrance. I'm going to try and flush him out of the rock today with some freshwater.

rsteagall
03/22/2006, 09:17 PM
WoooooooohOooooooooooooooo.... I finally caught the lil booger. :) I made a trap with a water bottle by cutting the top off, reversing it, and holding it on with a rubber band. Total time trapping took about 3 hours for it to trust the trap enough to go inside. :)

boodwah, I have your rock out and in your bucket with a powerhead and heater. Hopefully we can hookup tomorrow?! I also have some GSP to give you.

-Ryan

boodwah
03/23/2006, 12:45 AM
Ryan, I start nightshift tomorrow night. I have to be at work at 7PM, I will be sleeping until about noon to one tomorrow so if it were possible to hook up between two and four it would be great. If not, I could wait. Just let me know.
Thanks man!
Wes Carter

rsteagall
03/23/2006, 11:44 AM
Yea, I called your house and talked to you son. He said you were in Nashville. It wuold have been cool to meet up on your way back home. :) Just call me when you get a chance. The powerhead got the bucket up to 83.7 degrees lastnight. I took it out this morning. Hopefully everything on the rock is ok.

-Ryan