PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp?

SRT80
03/09/2006, 09:28 PM
How come can I not keep these alive? I have been through 3. They go in my tank and last maybe a week then dead. I know they died because my brittle star (no longer in tank) ate one, that died. The second one ate the aiptasia in my tank over night, died the next day. I know it died because I seen my hermits eat it. Same for the third one I got. It lasted longer, about a week and I noticed the hermits makin' a meal of it today. They always seem to turn clear before they die too...

Steve

M. Python
03/09/2006, 09:36 PM
Are you sure they aren’t molting? They aren’t too safe to keep with corals and anemones anyway.

c_stowers
03/09/2006, 09:36 PM
Maybe your iodine levels are way off. Do you do regular water changes. The only reason I suspect this is becuase I know iodine levels have alot to do with shrimp molting and they usually turn clear after they molt for a few days.

c_stowers
03/09/2006, 09:44 PM
I've got 6 in my tank and havent ever seen them bother any corals.

fishdoc11
03/09/2006, 10:02 PM
How are you acclimating them? They are very sensitive to changes in SG and pH. I try to keep a couple in all of my tanks for the occasional aiptasia and I don't have any problems with them as far as corals go.
FWIW, Chris

Mikeyjer
03/09/2006, 10:23 PM
I've had one in my tank for about 3 months now, no problem with'em. I need to look for him tonight, after that havoc storm in my tank with the new sump/fuge system, I dunno if it survived it or not. I also saw the molt this morning, maybe he's hiding. Are you feeding it? He's never bothered my corals at all, heard that they could, but mine never touch'em. I don't have any more Aiptasia though! I feed mine food everytime he's out begging. Usually twice a week he begs for food. :)

SRT80
03/09/2006, 10:46 PM
I do a 3 gallon water change every 2 weeks. I dont dose Iodine. My cleaner shrimp molts often though. So, I don't know if thats a problem? What's the best way to acclimate them? I just float it in the bag and take my dropper and add a few drops of water every 5 minutes for about 30 minutes. It was eating cause every evening when I feed the fish, the peppermint shrimp would come out and eat.

Steve

fishdoc11
03/09/2006, 10:56 PM
Stretch the 30 minutes out to a couple of hours or longer if you feel like it.

SRT80
03/09/2006, 11:05 PM
I'll try that next time. I need one because I've got some aiptasia I need to get rid of.

Steve

DMBillies
03/10/2006, 02:31 AM
I would definitely go with a 2 hour long drip for acclimatizing these guys. I had the same problem with peppermint shrimp... I lost a couple in what sounds like similar fashion. I would try getting a group if you can find them at a decent price. I got a group of 5 more than 2 months ago now and all but 1 are still alive (the 1 died a day or two after adding him and he was the smallest of the group). They all hang out in the same place and seem to like the company. Iodine could obviously be the problem, but if that seems in order, then try a longer drip and give 'em a few buddies to chill with. They did take care of all of my aptasia, even though I didn't think I was in the problem stage yet (I mainly kept trying them because my girlfriend loves shrimp and they are a pretty cool addition). Never had a problem with any of my corals (mushrooms, softies, SPS, or LPS). Also, a cool little tid bit... mine try to clean my fingers every time I stick my hand in anywhere near their hideout.

rcmike
03/12/2006, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I would think acclimation was the problem. Another thing to consider also, most LFS's don't acclimate livestock much if any at all so the damage could be done before you even bought them. If your acclimation was good and you still have problems I would try getting them somewhere else. I usually check the salinity of the water and if it is way off I will acclimate them over a longer period of time. If the salinity is nearly the same I don't acclimate for as long.

Sk8r
03/12/2006, 02:13 PM
I've heard they will eat yellow polyps,( which are related to aiptasia? ) but I have 3 big peppermints with stony corals (acroporas, stylophora, candy cane and frogspawn) and the only problem I have is that they'd rather eat fishfood. They do keep the aiptasia down, but seem to be managing them as a future food supply. I did have one take after some zoas, but after doing a dance on them and annoying them, it never bothered them again, and the zoas were unharmed. I've had about as good a luck setting heavy specimen rocks on them.