PDA

View Full Version : are goatfish allergic to formalin????????????????????????????????????????????????????

lost1st manty:(
03/09/2006, 10:46 PM
I am quarantining new goatfish for my 150 gallon predatory tank and recently read they are highly allergic to formalin which i recently had used in my 150 gallon predatory tank,to control ich breakout where he is headed it was a malchite green formalin treatment, so i am not sure if i should put him in or wait, or even if their are still traces or toxic levels still left the 150, perhaps they have all been skimmed out and removed with water changes, please help, i have read that snowfalke morays are allergic to malachite green but also heard they werent just to be careful not to over treat, im my 150 are follows 1 3 in huma huma trigger 1 5 in volitan lionfish
1 4 1/2 in green bird wrasse
1 10 in snowflake eel
1 4 in hifin snapper
1 3 in porcupine puffer
2 small hermit crabs i have not seen in ages
2 turbo snails i have not seen in ages
1 2in domino damsel i cant catch or trap neither can any of the other fish
1 3 in blue velvet damsel who i cant catch trap and is trying to tear everyone to smitherines

Hobby Experience: 6 months
Current Tanks: 29 gallon marine fish only 150 marine predatory fish
Interests: marine aquarium fish@critters

RLMainers
03/10/2006, 02:14 PM
I think everyone's afraid of all the question marks.
I don't know what formalin is...sorry. Don't use any medicines or additives...

Torno
03/10/2006, 05:44 PM
formalin is basically the brand name for formeldehyde. (you know preserves dead animals and such)

Amphiprion
03/10/2006, 09:18 PM
As per another thread where I posted, they are not allergic to it, but they are particularly sensitive to it. Since it is a dissolved gas, you should be able to remove it with water changes and carbon use.