PDA

View Full Version : How do you do it?

Reggae Fish
03/09/2006, 11:50 PM
Ok, as I type I have my RO unit (100 gpd) pumping water into my tank to fill for the first time. However, I will be doing a small bit of curing some rock.

From what everyone seems to be doing is keeping a 35-50 gallon rubbermaid trashcan full of RO water.

My question is once I put the water in there, do I add the salt or do I wait till I get ready for a water change and put it in a 5 gallon bucket and get the salinity to where it needs to be? Or, do I just put the water in the trash can and add the correct amount of salt for the whole 35 gallons? If so, when do I mix it and for how long? Right before I put it in, 24 hours before changes, etc...

Would love all your help!

Thanks,
Justin

creep
03/09/2006, 11:58 PM
I to am very interested in this since i will be purchasing my first RO/DI unit soon.

nemofish2217
03/10/2006, 12:09 AM
from my experience... i had a 20 gallon trash can, and it just so happened i needed 20 gallons for my water changes... so i would just take a powerhead (fairly strong) as well as a heater and begin mixing the night before.... just add the correct amount of salt and mix overnight... by then, the next morning, the ph spike has gone away, and i was good to go....now, since i only do 5 gal water changes, i just fill a 5 gal bucket, put salt in, and mix... as far as filling containers you can just make a spicket in the bottom of your trashcan.... just drill a hole, get the right fittings and a ball vlave, and there ya go!

izzy_real
03/10/2006, 12:33 AM
I'm an RO/DI, trash can user!

I fill two trash cans, one with plain RO/DI for top off, and the other for water changes. Both have heaters, air stones, and the salt can has a mag 7 to keep things stirred up really good. I have two tanks, 26 gallon bow front, and a 75 gallon, both are reefs.

I do a 12-16 gallon water change weekly on my 75, and a 5 gallon change weekly on my 26. Both are stocked heavily, with good protein skimming.

I fill the trash cans with RO/DI, usually over night (I live in an apt. so I have to hook my system up to the faucet) The next day, I add salt mix to my water change can. I do water changes on Wednesdays, and usually make water on Wednesday night. That way, if my RO/DI happens to leave something behind, it has time to dissipate on it's own. Plus the benefits of the pH buffering on it's own.

Don't forget to add salt last! If you add salt, and then the water, you could have an ammonia spike!

nemofish2217
03/10/2006, 12:50 AM
you sound like you have it down to a science... i love it.... :thumbsup:

izzy_real
03/10/2006, 01:22 AM
That's the nicest thing anyone has said to me in a long time!

I don't really, because one of my cans always "seems" to leak water on the floor, but the level never seems to drop!? Hmmmm........I tried putting a in a heater, thinking it was condensation, but it still creeps along the floor.....I think it's alive...!!

Reggae Fish
03/10/2006, 09:30 AM
I use 2. One for water (normal evaporation) and one for saltwater. Can I make about 20 gallons of RO water in a rubbermaid and add the salt and get it to the right point say on a monday. Then on Friday night start the powerhead and heater to do a water change on sat. Is this ok?

However, if I did one container with a heater, I could use that water for top offs and when I needed to do a water change I could just use a 5 gallon bucket with a small powerhead, correct? That way I have more space and I don't need 2 heaters, etc...How long do I need to mix the salt with the powerhead. If it's 24 hours, that means, I'll still need a heater, for both containers, am I right? Or, since it's such a small amount, couldn't I only mix it for an hour or so?

Also, can I set the heater directly in the trash can or tub without worrying about catching on fire? I'm assuming it doesn't put out that much heat plus it's in water.

mille239
03/10/2006, 09:43 AM
I haev a very similar set up with two containers, one for salt, one for fresh. both have bulkheads put in the bottom for easy filling of 5 gallon buckets... I will post a pic tonight when I get home from work.

Paintbug
03/10/2006, 10:53 AM
i have a 35gl trash can with a float valve installed. i collect the RO/DI water there. the when its time for a water change i syphon out freshwater into a couple of 5 gallon buckets. then mix the salt. i also use the FW for top-offs. and with the float valve in the trash can it stays full, and i dont have to worry about it over filling.