PDA

View Full Version : Are firefish prone to ich, or resistent?

guyguerra
03/09/2006, 11:03 PM
I have ordered a pair of Helfrich's fire fish. I always Qt new fish, but these fish are so expensive that I am afraid of one dying while in a mediocre tank. My display is as good as a tank can be, so they will have a much better chance of survival in the display. It seems to me that I never really hear of ich and fife fish in the same sentence. I really don't want to put them in the Qt. At over $400 for the pair, I want to give them the best opportunity for success. I bought one a few weeks ago, and decided then not to Qt it. He did great, was eating and staying out all day, then he jumped out. I believe it had to happen while I was servicing the tank.I became hooked on this fish now. Do most of you agree or disagree that Ich seems unusual on fire fish? I could really use some advice on this. I've got other fish in my Qt right now that I intend to leave in it because my display is pretty much done. I actually just converted my Qt to a regular tank because I'm done adding fish for a while. Theres a Sailfin that's in my Qt that will eventually go in the display, but that will only be when he outgrows the Qt.

Blown 346
03/09/2006, 11:21 PM
Anyfish can get ich, but it they might be less prone to it fom there slim coat and skin. Like Mandarins, eels, they can still get ich but they arent as prone to it.
I dont think there are any fish that cant get ich, that I know of.

guyguerra
03/10/2006, 08:53 AM
Blown, I agree with you completely, and that's why I put up the question. I am a fanatic about not letting anything in my display before I know it's healthy. Your correct that any fish can carry ich, I haven't seen any posts or talked to anyone that had a firefish introduce ich. I went thru this internal struggle when I bought my striped Mandarin, but these wouldn't survive a QT tank, and they have that thick slime coat, so I put him in right away, and had no trouble. He's been in there for 4 or 5 months now. You mentioned "slim coat and skin". I've never read anything about their skin being different or that they have a slime coat. Could you explain more about that? Thank you for your input, Guy

SDguy
03/10/2006, 11:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924025#post6924025 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by guyguerra
Blown, I agree with you completely, and that's why I put up the question. I am a fanatic about not letting anything in my display before I know it's healthy. Your correct that any fish can carry ich, I haven't seen any posts or talked to anyone that had a firefish introduce ich. I went thru this internal struggle when I bought my striped Mandarin, but these wouldn't survive a QT tank, and they have that thick slime coat, so I put him in right away, and had no trouble. He's been in there for 4 or 5 months now. You mentioned "slim coat and skin". I've never read anything about their skin being different or that they have a slime coat. Could you explain more about that? Thank you for your input, Guy

Also, you have to consider the idea that they may carry ich into your system. Even if they are less likely to "come down with" a bad case of it, what about your other fish. Just a thought.

hth

guyguerra
03/13/2006, 09:59 PM
bump

guyguerra
03/14/2006, 08:49 PM
We'll they arrived. My LFS called me when they got back from their trip to pick up a group of fish, which was well after closing hours. I drove over and got them before they were taken out of the bag they came in. I drip acclimated them for an hour, and then I really started questioning this idea, but now it was too late! The guy's at the store were tired from driving all day an were home sleeping.My second tank is recovering from a slight Ich treatment, and I was stuck. I figured I already put a lot o thought into doing this so I put them in. They acclimated very good an one of them even eat. They are hanging together in the back of the tank now, and look good. I can only pray that I didn't make major mistake. It's not something I'll do again, but on the other hand, maybe they would have died in QT. I'll hope I made the correct decision.