PDA

View Full Version : 5' X 5' Cube - 500 Gallon system

Wade2185
03/10/2006, 09:27 AM
I am in the process of upgrading to a new tank. The new tank is going to be 60" X 60" X 29". It will mainly be an SPS tank. It will be made out of acrylic. Steve West is my inspiration for this tank. I currently have a 90, 120 and 55 all plumbed together. I am going to use alot of existing compenents but I also need to add some new stuff. I need some advice.

Protein Skimmer - I currently have an ASM G4 skimmer. I love this skimmer. I am trying to decide how to upgrade this. Should I just add another ASM G4 or G5 and run 2 skimmers or is there a better way?

Calcium Reactor - I currently run an Aqua Medic calcium reactor which is rated for 250 gallons. Should I just add another Aqua Medic reactor or what?

Closed Loop - I want to do a closed loop similar to Steve west. I would like to run 2 different pumps for the closed loop. I am trying to not have any powerheads in this tank. If I do run powerheads I will run 2 Tunze Stream 6080 (already have them). How big do the 2 closed loop pumps need to be? Any one have any suggestions out there?

jacob30
03/10/2006, 09:42 AM
For the closed loops on my upgrade(350 gal) I am going to be using 2 reeflo Darts. For a 500 I would consider 2 sequence Barracudas.

Cal reactor: get a new one and sell the aquamedic.

Protein Skimmer: Run two

AcroSteve
03/10/2006, 11:12 AM
Do you mean Steve Weast?

I would not do two seperate reactors. Get a better one. GEO makes some nice ones that won't break the bank.

imbuggin
03/10/2006, 11:28 AM
I used to run 2 skimmers on my 300. It was a pain. They would work against one another and always require tinkering. I changed to one and had much better results. This is one of the few areas of reef keeping that redundancy doesn't help. Everywhere else I try to use 2 of everything. For example 2 smaller return pumps instead of 1 large one. If one gets stuck the tank still runs ect..

Wade2185
03/10/2006, 11:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924548#post6924548 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AcroSteve
Do you mean Steve Weast?

I would not do two seperate reactors. Get a better one. GEO makes some nice ones that won't break the bank.

Sorry, yes I meant Steve Weast. What model of GEO reactor would you suggest?

Wade2185
03/10/2006, 11:37 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924657#post6924657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
I used to run 2 skimmers on my 300. It was a pain. They would work against one another and always require tinkering. I changed to one and had much better results. This is one of the few areas of reef keeping that redundancy doesn't help. Everywhere else I try to use 2 of everything. For example 2 smaller return pumps instead of 1 large one. If one gets stuck the tank still runs ect..

What do you mean by "they worked against each other"? Anyone else out there running 2 skimmers?

imbuggin
03/10/2006, 11:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924724#post6924724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
What do you mean by "they worked against each other"? Anyone else out there running 2 skimmers?

when you would get one set the the level and production you want the other would be to high/low. It always required it to be messed with. I got more skim-mate after just yanking 1 of the skimmers and only running one.

Wade2185
03/10/2006, 11:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924771#post6924771 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
when you would get one set the the level and production you want the other would be to high/low. It always required it to be messed with. I got more skim-mate after just yanking 1 of the skimmers and only running one.

What about running 2 sumps with a skimmer in each sump? Would that help?

maxxII
03/10/2006, 11:54 AM
I've got a friend running two skimmers on her 120 SPS reef. SHe's running a ER CS8-2 and a Aqua-C EV 240 I believe. She says they both work great together.

This is not to say I'mbuggin is wrong, he's just had different results. This could be caused by the type of skimmers he was running. Becketts can be notoriously tough to set right, (for example).

The 2 sump, 2 skimmer thing wouldnt have much of a difference in overall results since skimmers reduce available waste/nutirents/crap in the system. I suspect you'd likely end up complicating your set up unnecessarily by having two sumps.

Nick

Wade2185
03/10/2006, 12:02 PM
On the subject of the closed loop pumps. It was suggested above to use 2 sequence Barracudas. Is this line of pump the most efficient as far as power consumption? I got online and looked at the specs for these and it looks like each Barracuda would use 325 watts. That is alot of power consumption over each month. I want pumps big enough to get the job done but at the same time they need to be as energy efficient as possible. Any thoughts on this?

imbuggin
03/10/2006, 12:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924910#post6924910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
. Any thoughts on this?

yeah my though is you will have a huge tank and huge electric bill. They go hand in hand:eek1:

Wade2185
03/10/2006, 12:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6924949#post6924949 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
yeah my though is you will have a huge tank and huge electric bill. They go hand in hand:eek1:

I know that. :) I just want to make sure that I save where ever I can. Why spend an extra $25 or $50 per month if I dont have to?

maxxII
03/10/2006, 12:22 PM
The Sequence pumps are about as energy efficient as you can get with large pumps. If energy savings are what you're after, have you looked at the Tunze Streams or the new Ecotech Vortech Pumps? They both use less than 60 watts for in excess of 3000 gph flow. Not cheap, but big tanks arent either.

Nick

Wade2185
03/10/2006, 12:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6925057#post6925057 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII
The Sequence pumps are about as energy efficient as you can get with large pumps. If energy savings are what you're after, have you looked at the Tunze Streams or the new Ecotech Vortech Pumps? They both use less than 60 watts for in excess of 3000 gph flow. Not cheap, but big tanks arent either.

Nick

I have 2 Tunze 6080 Streams. Good pumps but I am trying to not have any visible pumps, etc. That is why I think the closed loop would be my best bet for circulation in this tank.

jacob30
03/10/2006, 03:45 PM
You could always use red dragons (Red Dragon Pump - 14 M3 ). Very expensive but probrably cheaper over the long run.

This place has them: http://www.aquariumobsessed.com/

imbuggin
03/10/2006, 04:46 PM
wow that thing says " 135W 3698 GPH " that's insane and I think that is with more head pressure than you will be running them at.

kris4647
03/10/2006, 07:04 PM
The estimate isnt very accurate for a 14m3. At least by comparison, my 12m3 pulls 170watts and is rated at 115w.

They also had some trouble with the 14m3's conversion to American current. Dont think Will would be stocking those....

Wade2185
03/11/2006, 10:39 AM
I think I have figured out the flow. I am going to use an existing Dolphin Ampmaster 3600 to run 1 closed loop. I am then going to run 3 Tunze 6080 streams that will be hidden in the back overflows. Then I am going to get a Sequence pump (Baracuda) for the return which will run through my existing OM 4 way unit.

I think I am going to sell my ASM G4 skimmer and get one big one. I do not want to spend more than $1,000 for a skimmer. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good skimmer? My total water volume will be about 500 - 550 gallons and I will be heavily stocking my tank with mainly SPS. I think I need a skimmer that is rated for 750 - 1,000 gallons.

dgasmd
03/11/2006, 01:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6926980#post6926980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by imbuggin
wow that thing says " 135W 3698 GPH " that's insane and I think that is with more head pressure than you will be running them at.

Yeah:lol: :lol: :lol: Did you also see this part: Price: $1,219.00!!!

Protein Skimmer - I currently have an ASM G4 skimmer. I love this skimmer. I am trying to decide how to upgrade this. Should I just add another ASM G4 or G5 and run 2 skimmers or is there a better way?

Adding another G4 would be not only economical, but should work. I know of a few people running 2 skimmers or more just fine. I wonder why mbuggin's did not wor though.

Calcium Reactor - I currently run an Aqua Medic calcium reactor which is rated for 250 gallons. Should I just add another Aqua Medic reactor or what?

If your current reactor is keeping up fine with your current demands on your 3 tanks running together, I would say leave it alove for now. However, if you are going to upgrade I can atterst to the GEO ebing one of the most efficient desigsn there is. I run one myself.

Closed Loop - I want to do a closed loop similar to Steve west. I would like to run 2 different pumps for the closed loop. I am trying to not have any powerheads in this tank. If I do run powerheads I will run 2 Tunze Stream 6080 (already have them). How big do the 2 closed loop pumps need to be? Any one have any suggestions out there?

If you are going to do 2 close loops like Steve's tank, I would highly suggest you get 2 hammerheads or equivalent GPH rating. You are going to need lots more to create good water flow there and will need plenty of outlets for them too. Going with Tunze streams is always another option. If your tank if going to be viewable from the front only and your back pane is black, you can always get 4 tunze streams in the back pane towards the corners and position them to create flow throughout the entire tank. They are likely not going to be visible given the large field of depth.

tang_man_montreal
03/13/2006, 02:31 PM
Just found this thread...
Sounds like the exact size that I've been dreaming about.

In regards to the skimmers, Anthony Calfo has always suggested to run 2 different type of skimmers (ie: one needlewheel and one becket) and cleaning them at different intervals weekly so as to always have the most efficient skimming.

ruiny
03/13/2006, 04:05 PM
I would say go with the tunze streams over the big closed loop pumps. At 5 feet depth the view of the streams should be easy to hide. And the power difference between the options is a lot. And though streams seem costly, by the time you buy 2 pumps + 2 4 ways + all the plumbing the streams are not really that much more. plus the streams are much more versitile, move to new location, wave settings, adjustable etc.
just my thoughts.

asnatlas
03/13/2006, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6945739#post6945739 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ruiny
I would say go with the tunze streams over the big closed loop pumps. At 5 feet depth the view of the streams should be easy to hide. And the power difference between the options is a lot. And though streams seem costly, by the time you buy 2 pumps + 2 4 ways + all the plumbing the streams are not really that much more. plus the streams are much more versitile, move to new location, wave settings, adjustable etc.
just my thoughts.

I agree 110%...

maxxII
03/13/2006, 04:25 PM
That was my thinking too...

I have a 58 gallon tank with an Iwaki MD55RLT pushing 1000 gph through and OM 4 way unit......I'm happy with my closed loop set up for the most part...but my next tank will have Streams and/or the Vortech Pump in it. Simply because of the flexibility and redundancy a system like that provides.

Pro's:
Flexible and easily adjustable.
Redundancy in the respect that if one pump goes down or needs maintenance, the rest of the system still carries on like normal, the entire system doesnt come to a halt while waiting for replacements or maintenance, (Soaking in vineager etc).
Less power used. This becomes wildly important if you are ever in a power shortage type situation....less energy used means less draw on whatever back up power source you are using....think about it. Have you priced generators lately?

Con's
Not the most aesthetically pleasing choice for water movement
Up front cost not cheap
adds some heat to the water, (could be bonus in cold weather power outtages)

Its your tank, please take my thoughts as opinions only and not gospel, but I've learned a few things since setting up my system and I will be doing thigs differently next time around.

Nick

Bebo77
03/14/2006, 12:59 AM
on a tank that size you wont see the Tunze's... i have 2 6200's on my 300 gallon tank.. i hid them in the rock work...

As far as power goes get redragons.. they will end up being cheaper in the long run. 200+ watts an hours really adds up fast.(i have 2 panworlds i am replacing with 1 red dragon.) less power and noise count me in...

I also have 2 skimmers on my tank.. a Deltec and a Barr.. I never have any problems running 2. If you are going that size(500)gallons i would get a BIG Deltec...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=734279

I assume that this tank is not going to be built any time soon.. you will have to re-enforce your floor.. be sure to plumb into the house drain and water. If i was going that big i would get good equipment to begin with.. you might as well go broke the first time around.

Wade2185
03/14/2006, 09:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6945739#post6945739 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ruiny
just my thoughts.

Point well taken. After researching pumps and plumbing I agree with you. I have 3 streams now. I have 1 - 6060 (1600 GPH) and 2 - 6080 (2250 GPH). Do you think these 3 will be enough?

Wade2185
03/14/2006, 09:14 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6949745#post6949745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
on a tank that size you wont see the Tunze's... i have 2 6200's on my 300 gallon tank.. i hid them in the rock work...

As far as power goes get redragons.. they will end up being cheaper in the long run. 200+ watts an hours really adds up fast.(i have 2 panworlds i am replacing with 1 red dragon.) less power and noise count me in...

I also have 2 skimmers on my tank.. a Deltec and a Barr.. I never have any problems running 2. If you are going that size(500)gallons i would get a BIG Deltec...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=734279

I assume that this tank is not going to be built any time soon.. you will have to re-enforce your floor.. be sure to plumb into the house drain and water. If i was going that big i would get good equipment to begin with.. you might as well go broke the first time around.

Thanks for the advice. I will take a closer look at the RD pumps. The price is just a little intimidating.

What model of Barr skimmer are you running? I was looking at the Barr Aquatics web site this weekend. They look like very good skimmers. I was thinking about the SK5220. The other route I have looked at is to use my existing ASM G4 and add an additional ASM G5. The whole skimmer thing still has me stumped.

As far as the floor goes this tank is going in my basement on a concrete floor. I should not have to do any re-enforcing, etc.

cward
03/14/2006, 09:35 AM
"The price is just a little intimidating"

That's an understatement. It would be easy enough to see how many years it would take you to recoup your money back.

It sounds like it's going to be a great tank and I'm looking forward to seeing it finished. Just make sure you plan wisely up front and take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt, because some people give advice without actually having a tank set up;)

asnatlas
03/14/2006, 02:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6949745#post6949745 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77

Bebo77, what is the price per KWH in CA where you live ??

Wade2185
03/14/2006, 04:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6953107#post6953107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas

FYI - the KWH charge for me in Utah is $.12

Wade2185
03/14/2006, 09:47 PM
I think that I am going to start out by using my AMP master 3600 for my return. With the estimated head pressure I am thinking that this pump with return about 2700 GPH. Between this pump and the 3 streams will I have enough flow?

Bebo77
03/14/2006, 10:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6953107#post6953107 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas

i pay .68 per kwh.... you guys have it made!!!

i have the Barr sk 1220

lucky man no concrete work.. i had to tear my floor apart to get my tank in....

ruiny
03/15/2006, 07:06 AM
Point well taken. After researching pumps and plumbing I agree with you. I have 3 streams now. I have 1 - 6060 (1600 GPH) and 2 - 6080 (2250 GPH). Do you think these 3 will be enough?

Use the streams you have now and if you need more you can easily add them, another advantage with streams over the CL.

cward
03/15/2006, 07:45 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6956907#post6956907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77

:eek1: Are you kidding me???
Holly cow, I only pay .09 per kwh here in Ohio. Last month my bill was $221 and I used 2480 kwh. My tank uses aprox. 1500 kwh per month, so that would be $120.

cward
03/15/2006, 08:52 AM
Here is some info for anyone looking to use a Red Dragon for efficiency.

Red Dragon 12 M3/ 170W according to kris4647, and it cost's $970.
The Sequence Hammerhead/ 350W, and it cost's $300.

The RD pump would cost me $11.17 to run per month using the .09 per kwh rate. The Hammerhead would cost me $23.00 per month.
To make up the price difference of the pumps ($670) it would take me 4 years and 8 months ($11.83 per month), and that's just to break even.
For you guy's who pay .12 per kwh it would only take you 3 years and 7 months to break even.
Not to mention the fact that the Hammerhead would kick the snot out of the RD:lol:

Bebo77- The average cost of electric in California as of Nov. 2005 is .123 per kwh for residential.
The guy's on the northern east coast have it worse with an average cost of .13 to .14+ per kwh, and people in Hawaii have it for worse with an average cost of .23 per kwh.

kris4647
03/15/2006, 09:56 AM
Whoa.....

Hold up with the RD bashing, the intangibles here are silence and little or no heat transfer. No heat transfer=less need for chiller run time which in a large system sucks more power than anything else short of lights. No noise= I can hear my TV. I'm old school over here; everything in a stand and not a fish room ;). I had a Hammerhead on the same tank and couldnt handle the noise.

An RD12 will outflow a Dart so I dont know about the pants thing either :), maybe kick the shorts off of...........

I do however unerstand your point on price. But all the German stuff is ridiculous. The Dragons are hand made. Just depends on your budget and needs. I saved for two years for the parts for my 400g so I could have all the cool toys and for me it was worth it.

Getting back to the point here. Your ampmaster is a good option, although their power consumption isnt as billed either. My 3k pulled around 190 watts.

A middle of the road option may be the Tunze master circulation pumps.

As for skimmers I wouldnt go with anything but a needlewheel recirc. Its not a fad, they are truly the best option out there for efficiency and performance.

Best of Luck

Kris

cward
03/15/2006, 10:04 AM
I'm not bashing the RD pump because I would love to have one. My point was to show how long it would take to recoup the extra money spent on efficiency. I do understand your point about the heat transfer, but I have no experience with the RD pump to see how much heat the put out.
I was comparing the Hammerhead to the RD12, and yes, the Hammerhead would "kick the snot out of the RD".

Wade2185
03/15/2006, 10:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6959272#post6959272 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kris4647

Getting back to the point here. Your ampmaster is a good option, although their power consumption isnt as billed either. My 3k pulled around 190 watts.

A middle of the road option may be the Tunze master circulation pumps.

As for skimmers I wouldnt go with anything but a needlewheel recirc. Its not a fad, they are truly te best option out there for efficiency and performance.

Best of Luck

Kris

Thanks for the advice Kris. I am going to get started with my Ampmaster and then maybe change it out in the future. I am not worried at all about noise because I have the luxury of being able to build this into a wall and all of the pumps, sump, etc will be in there own "fishroom".

Do you have a recommendation for a good needlewheel recirc skimmer for about 600 gallons?

kris4647
03/15/2006, 10:36 AM
I was comparing the Hammerhead to the RD12, and yes, the Hammerhead would "kick the snot out of the RD".

I've owned both pumps in the same application and I don't agree with the snot either ;). The flow from all of my RD's was surprising even in light of their flow "looking" output curve. Nuff said on that.

Well Wade you can guess which skimmer I run :) . On a more slightly more reasonable note I would suggest Euroreef 500 recirc or an H&S 200 series or a Deltec Ap702.

The price points are tough though, even for the Euroreef. Although the Barr model you are looking at is $850 plus a $250 or so pump to run it puts you in the same $1000 or + area.

Your ASM idea isnt too bad really, I hear good things about them from everyone.

Its just where you want to go with your setup. As I mentioned I saved for a long time and picked parts up as I went. Only downside to this is the parts you pick up are burning warranty as they wait. My BK skimmer was purchased used over a year ago and it was just put on line last month :eek1:. I wouldnt go cheap on the skimmer, its just too important IMO.

alien9168
03/15/2006, 01:33 PM
Been seeing a lot of big cube tanks latley, and I like it!

I hope this project is as awsome as some of the nano cube tanks (not the brand---but actually cubed tanks :D ) that I have seen! :D

-good luck
:P
-alien

Wade2185
03/16/2006, 06:35 PM
Well I have made up my mind and have started my tank. I changed my tank size a little. It is now 72" X 60" X 28". I made it one foot longer so that I could have plenty of room for my aquascaping plan. I orderd an ASM G5 skimmer and plan on running this with my current G4 skimmer. I am going to start by using my existing AMPmaster 3600 for my return and run it through and OM 4 way unit. I will also be using 2 Tunze 6080s and 1 Tunze 6060.

I started finishing the fish room in the basement today. I am now wondering how I want to vent the fish room. That is my next project at this point. Anyone have any suggestions? Dehumidifier? Air exchange unit?

alien9168
03/21/2006, 02:37 PM
Any pics of the fishroom wade?
I dont know of any dehumidifying devices, but you could use a fan-like for bathrooms- and vent it to the outside. :)
Or use some sort of duct system.

-alien

rdavis289
03/21/2006, 04:39 PM
Quote: Bebo77- The average cost of electric in California as of Nov. 2005 is .123 per kwh for residential.
The guy's on the northern east coast have it worse with an average cost of .13 to .14+ per kwh, and people in Hawaii have it for worse with an average cost of .23 per kwh.
Cward... That .123 per kwh for residential is part of what we pay. Then you have to pay that again for generation fees. Not only do they charge us for what we use. They charge us again to make the electricity. Living in California Sucks when it comes to electric rates. Bebo has it right. And to get up to the .67 rate that he got. There is different levels. Just trust me. He is right on with that rate.

cward
03/22/2006, 07:21 AM
I pulled the info from a Federal Government page so I'm not sure how accurate it is. If what you are saying is true, then my electric bill for just my tank would cost over $1000 per month:(

Wade2185
03/22/2006, 09:09 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7007121#post7007121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alien9168
Any pics of the fishroom wade?
I dont know of any dehumidifying devices, but you could use a fan-like for bathrooms- and vent it to the outside. :)
Or use some sort of duct system.

-alien

I will take some pics tonight. There is not much to see yet because I am finishing my basement right now. I have had a plumber working on my drains, etc and that has turned into a nightmare. We had to break up the floor in order to run drains for the bathroom, etc. Once we did we noticed a ton of water. The plumber put a pump in to drain the water and it has been running for 8 hours straight! I have a miniature river/canyon in my basement! I planned on framing this weekend but that is now on hold until I can figure out this water problem. It has me very concerned. I had no idea that you could have that much water under your basement! :(

BlueCorn
03/22/2006, 10:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6956907#post6956907 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77

Are you sure that's right?

http://www.ladwp.com/ladwp/cms/ladwp001710.jsp

Nanook
03/22/2006, 11:21 AM
I have a 60x60x30 glass tank and a 96x30x30 glass tank that I am going to run with two skimmers and a common sump.

I think Tunze Streams are better than closed loops. I do not mind the look of powerheads in the tank though...if that is not what you want, then a closed loop might be your best option.

As for two skimmers, I have a beckett and a needlewheel. I think they will compliment each other nicely. Have fun with your tank.

Wade2185
03/27/2006, 05:04 PM
Quick question for everyone. The final size of my tank is now 76" X 60" X 28". The builder is telling me that I could save money if I went with 3/4" acrylic instead of 1". He claims that 3/4" will not bow, etc. What does everyone here think? I ask because I have been told by other builders that have given me quotes that I need to go with 1".

asnatlas
03/27/2006, 05:57 PM
I would say that 3/4" would work but you would need some euro-bracing... I would prob say at least 4" wide...

alien9168
03/27/2006, 07:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7054573#post7054573 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
I would say that 3/4" would work but you would need some euro-bracing... I would prob say at least 4" wide...

I agree wade. ^^^

If price is no object go with 1"
otherwise' go with the 3/4" It will probably do great with some eurobracing. :)

-alien

Wade2185
03/27/2006, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7055191#post7055191 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alien9168
I agree wade. ^^^

If price is no object go with 1"
otherwise' go with the 3/4" It will probably do great with some eurobracing. :)

-alien

Thanks guys. I guess I should have been more clear. The top will be euro braced 4" all the way around. The top will also have two cross braces with each being 6-8". That will leave me with 4 openings that are about 22" x 32" each.

skippyreef
03/27/2006, 07:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6950970#post6950970 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
Thanks for the advice. I will take a closer look at the RD pumps. The price is just a little intimidating.

These pumps rock. I bought the 6.5m3 for my 270 upgrade that I am doing. Scott at Captive Oceans really took good care of me and explained everything to me before the purchase. The pump I have pushes 1717 GPH at 65 watts and these pump come with a life time wear warranty.

This pump replaced an Iwaki I was going to use for the set up.

I like the deminsions your proposing for the tank as well :) this will be another spectacular set up it sounds like.

My tank is also in the basement of my home. It is filled right now with freshwater for curing the reef ceramics I am using in it. I bought a panasonic 290 cfm whisper quiet fan controlled with a CAP-1 controller.

Can't wait to see some pics when you get going :)

Mike

alien9168
03/27/2006, 09:20 PM
wade youll definatly be fine with structural tank integrity if you have a 4 inch eurobrace and 2 x braces

It'll be solid as a rock! :)

-alien

szwab
03/28/2006, 08:16 AM
never built an acrylic tank myself or a tank for that matter :) but you may want to check out this calculator for what it's worth

http://cyro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cyro.cfg/php/enduser/fattach_get.php?p_sid=LGEu4C3i&p_accessibility=0&p_tbl=9&p_id=133&p_created=1016821499&p_olh=0

http://cyro.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cyro.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=133&p_created=979155189&p_sid=_gPvDUCh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD01NzImcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=

Wade2185
03/28/2006, 08:50 AM
Thank you szwab for the link above. That is VERY helpful.

I need some advice now on the overflows. The tank itself is going to be 70" long and then it will have a 6" external overflow. The overflow will be on the 60" side so it will measure 60" L X 6" W X 28" H. I would like to turn over about 4,000 GPH. What type of drains will I need? I was thinking about using 6 of the magna flow durso style drains. My existing tanks are AGA tanks and the Magna Flow drains are all that I have experience with. Can someone give me suggestions and maybe pics? I want to make sure that snails, etc can not get into my sump and clog my pumps, etc.

cward
03/28/2006, 09:05 AM
You might want to consider using less flow for the return to the tank. This was one problem that I ran into with my tank when I first set it up because the water crashing into the sump would create too many micro bubbles for the baffles (and foam block) to handle. Anthony Calfo suggest using slower flow from the returns and increasing flow from the closed loop or powerheads to compensate. Just something to think about.
To answer your question about drains, I'm using two 2" drains and they could easily handle my Sequence Hammerhead that I used as the return.

Wade2185
03/28/2006, 09:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7058980#post7058980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cward
You might want to consider using less flow for the return to the tank. This was one problem that I ran into with my tank when I first set it up because the water crashing into the sump would create too many micro bubbles for the baffles (and foam block) to handle. Anthony Calfo suggest using slower flow from the returns and increasing flow from the closed loop or powerheads to compensate. Just something to think about.
To answer your question about drains, I'm using two 2" drains and they could easily handle my Sequence Hammerhead that I used as the return.

Thank You. Are the 2" drains just holes or do you have stand pipes in them? Are they open to where fish and snails could get through them?

cward
03/28/2006, 09:10 AM
Stand pipes. The 3rd drain is for the skimmer feed that I have raised since the pic was taken. I have egg crate cut to fit the opening in the 90.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/586/30741New_Tank_016-med.jpg

asnatlas
03/28/2006, 09:11 AM
I agree with cward... I would stick to like 3-5x (1500-2500gph) turnover... I would go with like 2x 1.5" or even 2x 2" drains with durso's on them...

Wade2185
03/28/2006, 09:15 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059017#post7059017 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
I agree with cward... I would stick to like 3-5x (1500-2500gph) turnover... I would go with like 2x 1.5" or even 2x 2" drains with durso's on them...

Forgive me if this sounds dumb but I have no experience with making Durso's. Did you guys make your own? From looking at the pic posted it seems pretty simple but looks can be deceiving. :)

asnatlas
03/28/2006, 09:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059040#post7059040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
Forgive me if this sounds dumb but I have no experience with making Durso's. Did you guys make your own? From looking at the pic posted it seems pretty simple but looks can be deceiving. :)

It's very easy... Just need some PVC pipe, Cap, T, and a 90...

http://600gal.asnatlas.com/Resized/Durso%20Drain%20with%20Sched%2080%20BH.JPG

cward
03/28/2006, 09:20 AM
It's very simple. The real big factor is the air hole that is in the cap on top of the tee. I always start with a small hole (1/16") and increase the hole with a reamer as I need to keep the water level in the overflow level.

Wade2185
03/28/2006, 09:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059063#post7059063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cward
It's very simple. The real big factor is the air hole that is in the cap on top of the tee. I always start with a small hole (1/16") and increase the hole with a reamer as I need to keep the water level in the overflow level.

Thanks guys! One more question. On my megaflows I just raise them up or down in order to control the water level. Are you saying that you do the same thing with the air hole in the tee? This sounds pretty simple.

asnatlas
03/28/2006, 09:26 AM
You could also attach a John Guest - Quick Connect Valve to the cap that way you have a "valve" to open and close...

http://www.savko.com/files/jgvalve.jpg

Wade2185
03/28/2006, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059102#post7059102 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
[B]You could also attach a John Guest - Quick Connect Valve to the cap that way you have a "valve" to open and close...

:) Thanks! :) I now understand. The valve idea sounds great!

cward
03/28/2006, 09:37 AM
Not sure how easy the valve would clog from salt creep. It would be easy enough to clean I guess, but I hate those little valves because it seems like there is no happy medium when trying to adjust them.

Wade2185
03/28/2006, 09:45 AM
OK. Now I am re-thinking my flow in this tank. I was not going to do a closed loop but now it looks like I need to. Here is what I am thinking now. Return about 2500 GPH through the sump. I am thinking about 2 returns with penductors. I will then run 1 Tunze 6060 stream and 2 Tunze 6080 streams for a total of about 5500 GPH. Then I am thinking about running a closed loop through my OM 4 way unit. I will use a 3000 - 5000 GPH pump on the closed loop. How does that sound? Also, I have seen some "Jacuzzi" style return heads that swivel. I cannot find them now. Can someone point me in the right direction? I am thinking about using 4 of these with the CL so that I can adjust the flow pattern as needed.

asnatlas
03/28/2006, 10:00 AM
If it were me I would skip the CL and go with one or two more Tunzes... If you are looking at like 3-5000pgh on your CL one 6200 would give you 5283gph @ 62w for about $450.00... With 62w (5283gph) running 24/7 at $0.08 KWH you’re looking at like $4.00 a month ($48.00 per yr)... So in the first year to get 5283gph 24/7 it would cost you like $500.00 and 50.00 every year after for running it... If you go with a CL your looking at about $300.00 for a hammerhead and like $20.00 a month ($240.00 a yr) to run it so in your first yr with your CL your at the same price as the 6200 would be after 2 yrs of initial cost with running and that does not include the BHs and plumbing which can add up very fast... If you go with a single pump CL if that pump dies your entire CL is down… If you go with multi Tunzes and one of them dies you still have flow…

NOTE : Figures above are ruff calculations @ $0.08 KWH

Wade2185
03/28/2006, 10:07 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059321#post7059321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
If it were me I would skip the CL and go with one or two more Tunzes... If you are looking at like 3-5000pgh on your CL one 6200 would give you 5283gph @ 62w for about $450.00... With 62w (5283gph) running 24/7 at $0.08 KWH you’re looking at like $4.00 a month ($48.00 per yr)... So in the first year to get 5283gph 24/7 it would cost you like $500.00 and 50.00 every year after for running it... If you go with a CL your looking at about $300.00 for a hammerhead and like $20.00 a month ($240.00 a yr) to run it so in your first yr with your CL your at the same price as the 6200 would be after 2 yrs of initial cost with running and that does not include the BHs and plumbing which can add up very fast... If you go with a single pump CL if that pump dies your entire CL is down… If you go with multi Tunzes and one of them dies you still have flow…

NOTE : Figures above are ruff calculations @ $0.08 KWH

So many options... Points well taken though. What about the Tunze wave box?

szwab
03/28/2006, 10:26 AM
that would eliminate dead spots that either your closed loop or tunzes miss. Don't have one but have seen many systems with them and they are impressive. I hope to soon have one in my tank to take care of the corners and underneath/between the rock work.

For what it's worth I tried the valves thing for my dursos and the were fairly loud from the air being sucked through them.

cward
03/28/2006, 10:30 AM
You would definitely need the wavebox extension to make it work with a large cube tank, but I have not tried this yet.

One point that Shawn overlooks when comparing powerheads to a closed loop is the ease of maintenance with the closed loop pump. If I had powerheads buried in rock work to hide the their hideousness:D, then I would have to dig them out every time I had to clean them. You could hide them in a false back, but this limits you in changing the direction of the flow as the tank grows and the corals block the flow.

I do think the Tunze's are a great product, but I think a large tank would be better with a combination of streams and closed loops.

My .02

asnatlas
03/28/2006, 10:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7059360#post7059360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
What about the Tunze wave box?

Tunze wave boxes are nice but are not to be used in replace of a stream as they both are for different purposes... If you are able I would look into adding a wave box and with your size tank you would prob need an extension...

alien9168
03/28/2006, 04:12 PM
Why not just go with a massive closed loop? You could completly customize the flow pattern from the tank bottom, sides and top. I have seen this on other tanks and it ends up looking mazing.

:)

-alien

kris4647
03/28/2006, 04:35 PM
I would definitely go with less tank turnover. 3-4x at most, It’s just too much of a hassle to accommodate and manage [micro-bubbles etc] that much flow in the sump. As well as not necessary.

IMO pursue a larger CL and supplement with maybe two tunzes. The points concerning powerheads are valid in terms of electrical consumption but aesthetics are what would concern me. You can completely hide a CL; not so with Tunze even if you use the rock then accessibility is an issue. Equipment failure is always gonna be there, if you were to lose your CL you'd still have your return for circulation.

The only thing I discovered about CL are they are a bit scary. Hole in the btm of the tank, leak = no bueno. To alleviate this concern use Savko bulkheads. Not even the haywards I have compare to them.

alien9168
03/28/2006, 07:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7062161#post7062161 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kris4647
I would definitely go with less tank turnover. 3-4x at most, It’s just too much of a hassle to accommodate and manage [micro-bubbles etc] that much flow in the sump. As well as not necessary.

IMO pursue a larger CL and supplement with maybe two tunzes. The points concerning powerheads are valid in terms of electrical consumption but aesthetics are what would concern me. You can completely hide a CL; not so with Tunze even if you use the rock then accessibility is an issue. Equipment failure is always gonna be there, if you were to lose your CL you'd still have your return for circulation.

The only thing I discovered about CL are they are a bit scary. Hole in the btm of the tank, leak = no bueno. To alleviate this concern use Savko bulkheads. Not even the haywards I have compare to them.

I completly agree. Everything about the tunzes--> savko! :)

-alien

Wade2185
03/29/2006, 10:15 AM
OK. I am seriously considering going the Wavebox route. I do not know much about them yet. I am wondering if I would install then in my overflows behind the tank and cut a hole in the tank for them. What does everyone think? Do they have to be completly submersed in water to work?

szwab
03/29/2006, 03:35 PM
i'd post thst question in the tunze forum. Roger is great at getting things answered quickly. He'd know for sure

Wade2185
03/29/2006, 03:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7069471#post7069471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by szwab
i'd post thst question in the tunze forum. Roger is great at getting things answered quickly. He'd know for sure

I was going to but I nticed he was gone this week. I thought maybe someone here might be using one and would know.

szwab
03/29/2006, 04:05 PM
from my understanding and what I have seen they are not completly submerged. I would think that in the overflow "outside" the tank would work. but as mentioned you will probably need an exention box due to the size and shape of your tank. not sure if that would go on the same side or the opposite end.

Wade2185
03/29/2006, 10:23 PM
Here is a rough scetch I drew up tonight showing what I am thinking as far as the Wavebox and Streams go. I am thinking about having 2 acrylic boxes made that would enclose the waveboxes.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=162784&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500 (http://)

asnatlas
03/29/2006, 10:31 PM
Here you go...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384Tank1.jpg

Wade2185
03/29/2006, 10:35 PM
Thanks Shawn! :)

pondfrog
03/30/2006, 08:50 AM
Roger typically recommends the WBs run the wave the "long" side of the tank, but frankly I think the way you are proposing would work better with your overflow situation. The waveboxes need about 3/4" clearance between the top of the water and the inside top of your tank (meaning they do not completely submerge) and then send a wave about 1 1/2" in height across the tank. You will love them!! :)

scarletknight06
03/30/2006, 11:11 AM
sorry if you've already found this out, but i thought i should let you know. the wavebox will not work on a large cube tank even with an extension. they are designed for rectangular tanks. you should search in the tunze forum and ask roger to clarify. there are a couple of threads about it there.

pondfrog
03/30/2006, 12:08 PM
At what point does a tank "not" become a cube? Technically the tank in question is not a cube, albeit very close. I'm using WBs on my 10 by 5 tank (or will be anyway :) ) per Rogers recs.

scarletknight06
03/30/2006, 02:21 PM
maybe i missed a change in plans in the thread but i thought it was a 5x5 cube he was building. my apologies.

Wade2185
03/30/2006, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7076425#post7076425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scarletknight06
maybe i missed a change in plans in the thread but i thought it was a 5x5 cube he was building. my apologies.

Sorry, I do not think that I can edit the title. I have changed the dimensions a little. It is now a 6' X 5' tank. :)

szwab
03/30/2006, 03:42 PM
having the wave go front to back would be a different visual effect as well. could be interesting.

tacocat
03/30/2006, 03:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7075085#post7075085 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scarletknight06
sorry if you've already found this out, but i thought i should let you know. the wavebox will not work on a large cube tank even with an extension. they are designed for rectangular tanks. you should search in the tunze forum and ask roger to clarify. there are a couple of threads about it there.

It works, but it looks weird. Aquarium Concepts in Hayward, CA has one on their cubish tank. The wave goes in sort of a corner to corner direction. It's not really a wave, but it looks cool and it gets the stuff in the middle moving.

alien9168
03/30/2006, 05:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7076454#post7076454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
Sorry, I do not think that I can edit the title. I have changed the dimensions a little. It is now a 6' X 5' tank. :)

Cool. :)

Bigger is not a bad thing. :p

I cant wait to see the tank. :)

Good luck with your new demensions.

-alien

Wade2185
03/30/2006, 08:30 PM
Well I went and met with the builder today to try and finalize what I want. Here is a drawing of what I believe will be the final tank. I incorporated an island on the right side. The middle of the island will have my 4 returns that will be run through an OM 4-way unit. I will then use 3 Tunze Streams on the left side. This drawing also shows my lighting plans. The 400 watts will all be 10Ks and the island will be lit by 4 150 watt 20ks. Any suggestions out there? The blue lines show where I plan on aquascaping with my rocks.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384Tank002-med.jpg

pondfrog
03/30/2006, 09:57 PM
aaaghhh where did the WBs go! :) J/K

Looks great, you've planned for some good water motion-- you can always add streams or WBs later if youdecide it's not enough.

The island idea is interesting-- my only thought is won't that get in the way of viewing some of the back rockwork?

asnatlas
03/30/2006, 10:26 PM
What kind of reflectors are you looking at ?? I would think that you could easily get away with like 4x L3's… You could have like 3x 400w and one 250w or all 400w... Just looks like alot more lighting then you really need to me...

ruiny
03/31/2006, 06:36 AM
I would get rid of the 4 x 150 watt light and replace with one 400 or a 250 if you want a lower light spot.
The reason is you will not want to be replacing 4 bulbs every year vs one. also the start up cost is less. And one lamp leaves more room in the hood.
Is this a 2 side viewable tank?
Looking good.

cward
03/31/2006, 07:06 AM
Heat from the bulbs will be an issue. Is this going in a basement or upstairs?

Wade2185
03/31/2006, 09:07 AM
Pondfrog - The island should not be an issue from a view standpoint. The tank will be viewable from one 72" side and one 60" side. My only hesitation with the island is that it will have to go all the way to the top of the tank because it has my returns in it. That way I can make holes for the siphon break in case the power goes out. I am toying this morning with the idea of making the island into a closed loop instead of a return. That way I would not have to go to the top of the tank. The WB thing is still up in the air for the future.

Asnatlas and Ruiny - I currently have 2 Reefoptix I 400W pendants. I was thinking about adding either 2 more or I guess I could just put 1 400 W in the upper left corner with a Luminarc III reflector. I already have the 4 150 watt setups. They are the Aquamedic Ocean lights. I think you are right. 4 is overkill. I will probably just start with 2 of them. I cannot just run 1 400 or 250 because I would have to mount it directly over the acrylic brace and it would melt.

Cward - The tank is going in my basement. It will be built into a wall and I will have a fish room in the back. I am currently working with my heat/ac guy on the ventilation, etc. I currently have a 120 setup in my basement running 2 -400 watt bulbs and 1 150 watt bulb. Heat has not been an issue on this tank so I am hoping that heat will not be an issue on the new tank. Also, beacuse the tank will be behind a wall in a fish room, I will just be hanging the lights and there will not ba a canopy. I should be able to run all the fans and ventilation necassary to keep things cool.

Thank everyone for all of the suggestions so far. I have changed my design and mind several times and it has all been for the best. You guys are great.

pondfrog
03/31/2006, 10:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7081642#post7081642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
Pondfrog - The island should not be an issue from a view standpoint. The tank will be viewable from one 72" side and one 60" side. My only hesitation with the island is that it will have to go all the way to the top of the tank because it has my returns in it. That way I can make holes for the siphon break in case the power goes out. I am toying this morning with the idea of making the island into a closed loop instead of a return. That way I would not have to go to the top of the tank. The WB thing is still up in the air for the future.

Having it run to the top would be exactly my concern, but converting to a closed loop would really solve that problem well!!
Good Idea.

ruiny
03/31/2006, 12:54 PM
I like the island, and with it being lower with a internal closed loop sounds great
Keep up the good work

lucubrator
03/31/2006, 02:46 PM
Are you planning on drilling 4 holes in the bottom of the island for each of the outlets of the CL, or what's your plan there?

Wade2185
03/31/2006, 02:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7083789#post7083789 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lucubrator
Are you planning on drilling 4 holes in the bottom of the island for each of the outlets of the CL, or what's your plan there?

Yes. I figure that I will run 4 1" PVC lines through the bottom and use zip ties to hold them together. Then stack the rock around to form the island and hide the pipes in the process.

szwab
03/31/2006, 04:25 PM
i'd be real nervous putting 4 hles ni thsame area on the bottom of the tank. Have you considered doing just the returns there and the supply in another location?

alien9168
03/31/2006, 04:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7084456#post7084456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by szwab
i'd be real nervous putting 4 hles ni thsame area on the bottom of the tank. Have you considered doing just the returns there and the supply in another location?

Why? His tank will be fairly thick. And he will probably use good bulheads. Im just curious as to why a tank, built as thick as wade's will be, would have a problem with holes in one general area? Just curious.

-alien

szwab
03/31/2006, 05:59 PM
first off... man my typing sucks :)
the holes will weaken the area that they are in. since it's acrylic It won't be as bad as glass, but it will still have a large amount of pressure on that area with and inch or 2 or 3 between the holes.
I guess I am just not a fan of placing hole in the bottoms of tanks IMO eventually they cause problems and usually it ends up in needing to completley drain the tank to fix. That's why I threw out the idea of limiting the # of holes.

cward
04/01/2006, 06:48 AM
With an acrylic tank you'll have the bottom completely bearing on the stand, unlike a glass tank that only needs to have bearing around the perimeter. I think it should be fine.

szwab
04/01/2006, 07:58 AM
would it matter that that area possibly won't be supported due to the bulkheads and piping having to go through the stand? playing devils advocate here.

alien9168
04/01/2006, 09:42 AM
szwab- Thanks for the clarification man. :)

BTW, my typing also sucks. I dont know that much about the pros and cons of drilling the bottom of tanks, so I dont want my coment to be offensive. :) Just a question.

As for the new question... You are probably right about the bulhead area not being supported by the tank.

THe bulheads...especially 4 of them would take up alot of unsuported space. You bring up a good point. :)

And now that i think about the arguments that you have mad, for fixing bulkeads, lack of support ect... Its probably not best to have holes---many holes---drilled at the tanks bottom.

BTW...Is cora a large reef club?
It seems that there are alot of members here on rc?

-alien

szwab
04/01/2006, 09:14 PM
CORA is a pretty nice size I believe we are up to around 120 "official" members and we definately have a good trime it's a real nice mix of reef geeks! :)
we have our own site but started off on RC so most post here (hard to beat the info on RC)

Wade2185
04/02/2006, 02:13 PM
I made a scale model of the tank this weekend in my basement. I had to make sure I could get it down the stairs, etc. Here are a couple of pics of the model. I used blue tape to outline the rock work and the round island.

Here is a pic when looking from the 72" side

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384550-1.jpg

Here is a pic from the 60" side

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384550-2.jpg

I am still torn on what to do with the flow. You guys bring up good points about drilling holes for the CL and it effecting the strength of the tank. I know that I will be using three streams (2 - 6080 and 1 - 6060) to start. That will be about 6,000 GPH. I will also be using a dolphin Amp master for the return which will be about another 2,000 to 2,500 GPH. All of this flow will be coming from one 60" side and shooting down the length of the tank. I really want to have water coming from the other side of the tank as well and that is why the island CL on my OM 4 way is so appealing. I think I am down to two choices. 1 - Do a closed loop with the holes spread out more (how much I do not know) and use a Hammerhead pump (5,000 GPH). 2 - Go with a wave box and extension. Can someone please help me decide?

Wade2185
04/02/2006, 02:29 PM
Maybe I could do the CL like this

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384550-3.jpg

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384550-4.jpg

I am thinking that I could drill the intake into the bottom of the tank where the bucket sits. Then surround the intake with a 4" square acrylic box. Then I would install egg crate or something on top of the box to keep fish, etc out of the intake. Then I would have the 4 - 1" holes surrounding the intake. You can see where I markd the 4 holes with the blue tape. The total height of the island woulc be maybe 15". I would hide everything with rocks.

pondfrog
04/02/2006, 03:49 PM
have you seen the videos of the waveboxes-- or I guess even better, would be one in person?

It is really almost deciding between two completely different setups. Not in terms of what corals to keep, but in the way the tank is going to look. There is a thread in the Tunze forum of several videos of the wavebox. If you like it go that way, if not you have your answer.

Wade2185
04/02/2006, 05:44 PM
Here is a photo of my latest idea.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384550-5.jpg

You can see the box in the center of the island. This will be the intake for the island CL. Then you can see the 4 1" outlets surrounding the box. These will be on an OM 4-way with a Sequence Hammerhead pump driving them. I think that all of these holes will be far enough apart. Also, I am going to incorporate a PVC structure to stack the L shaped rock on. I will not have any sand under the L shaped rock work. I am thinking that I will drill 4 more holes so that I can run outlets under the L shaped rock work. These 4 outlets will be fed by a little giant pump that I have. The purpose for these is so that I can blow detritus and other garbage out from under the rock work. This pump will not run 24/7. I think that I will put it on a timer and have it come on just 2 or 3 times per day. I am thinking that I will also install a valve on each of the four stations. That way if I need to I can shut 3 of them off and get more pressure out of just one. This should help me keep things very clean under the rocks.

I think I have made my mind up and this is the way I want to go unless anyone sees a major problem with this design.

Untamed12
04/02/2006, 06:17 PM
I like that latest design a lot...because I'm doing something similar.

But, I'm going to try to "grow" the island out of a single coral, eventually creating a large coral head just like one sees in the wild.

This will require a lot of patience, but I'll try to pick a fast growing, yet attractive coral.

Untamed12
04/02/2006, 06:19 PM
Rather than supply those outlets in the "L" shaped rock section from the bottom of the tank....they could easily be supplied from the back wall of the tank.

This might make them more accessable should you ever need to.

Yes, you absolutely need to have valves on each of the OM4way legs...if only to remove the 4 way for servicing every so often.

Wade2185
04/03/2006, 08:28 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7097178#post7097178 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Untamed12
I like that latest design a lot...because I'm doing something similar.

But, I'm going to try to "grow" the island out of a single coral, eventually creating a large coral head just like one sees in the wild.

This will require a lot of patience, but I'll try to pick a fast growing, yet attractive coral.

This sounds interesting. Do you have a coral in mind?

alien9168
04/03/2006, 03:57 PM
Cool idea wade.

I dont think ive ever seen sombody do that.

But what an amazing idea for a big tank, or any size tank for that matter :D

-alien

Wade2185
05/19/2006, 08:15 PM
Got my tank today :D :D :D

It is not a 5'X5' cube. I went bigger. :D The final size is 6 1/2 feet long, 5 feet wide and 30" tall. It is all made out of 3/4" acrylic with and external overflow.

Here are some pics. The blue tape in the tank shows how I plan to layout my rock work. The big circle is an island that will be made into my closed loop. I will have 4 returns in the island that will be hooked up to a OM 4-way unit and driven by a Sequence Hammerhead pump.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1811.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1813.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1814.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1815.JPG

sixxer
05/19/2006, 09:11 PM
WOW!!!!

Awesome. Unlimited Aquascaping ideas with that tank!!!!

SERVO
05/19/2006, 09:28 PM
THis is going to be an absolutely beautiful set up.

Wade, Have you ever thought about setting up a couple of surge set ups? I have a 400 gallon with a CL ran with a Dart, 2 6100's, a wave box and I still have dead spots. Right now the corals are not very big. I am going to have to change something once they grow up big! I purchased a couple of eductors, however the Dart isn't a pressure rated pump so I didn't want to put both of them on. I noticed a huge increase of flow, but it was very centralized and laminar :(

I wish I lived around you to help you aquascape your tank!

Good Luck

Wade2185
05/20/2006, 07:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7401579#post7401579 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SERVO
THis is going to be an absolutely beautiful set up.

Wade, Have you ever thought about setting up a couple of surge set ups? I have a 400 gallon with a CL ran with a Dart, 2 6100's, a wave box and I still have dead spots. Right now the corals are not very big. I am going to have to change something once they grow up big! I purchased a couple of eductors, however the Dart isn't a pressure rated pump so I didn't want to put both of them on. I noticed a huge increase of flow, but it was very centralized and laminar :(

I wish I lived around you to help you aquascape your tank!

Good Luck

I have thought about a surge device. I would really like to do 1 or 2 on this in the future. The only problem is I know absolutley nothing about them. I figured I would setup the tank first and then look into the surge. At this point flow is going to be my biggest challenge but I am excited to figure it out.

king4345
05/20/2006, 08:51 AM
I can't wait to see this.

alien9168
05/20/2006, 01:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7403345#post7403345 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by king4345
I can't wait to see this.

:thumbsup:

that tank looks great!

xxmattyxx
05/21/2006, 08:51 AM
Nice.

I'll be following this as I have a 5' x 5' x 2.5 planned for my extension later this year.

Good luck.

From the wet and miserable UK.

Matt

thetedinator
05/21/2006, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6923864#post6923864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
I am in the process of upgrading to a new tank. The new tank is going to be 60" X 60" X 29". It will mainly be an SPS tank. It will be made out of acrylic. Steve West is my inspiration for this tank. I currently have a 90, 120 and 55 all plumbed together. I am going to use alot of existing compenents but I also need to add some new stuff. I need some advice.

Steve Weast's system has inspired many including me. Good luck and very nice!

Ted

SERVO
05/21/2006, 02:25 PM
Here is a good start

http://www.marshreef.com/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=6

There is a great few pages in Sprungs Reef Aquarium Vol 3 (Science Art and Technology) on all of the alternatives to the classic CSD. The design of Borneman's toliet valve surge I think is great. If something fails, you lose your surge, but not your floor. These things are really easy to make. I would highly recommend Delbeek and Sprungs new text.

sonofgaladriel
05/21/2006, 02:34 PM
This is a great thread. I'm in the early planning stages for replacing me current 48"x48"x24" cube with a 72"x72"x30" cube and sure could use some of the advice already given to you on this set up. I too was debating between going with 3 closed loops or Tunze. I'm still on the fence at this point.
My tank will be 3, most likely, 4 side viewing so I wanted all plumbing to be invisible, thus hidden closed loops through the bottom were the best method. However, the Tunze really pack a punch in terms of flow at a greatly reduced enery cosumption. But there are those darn cords to hide.
Tank looks awesome. Can't wait to see you put it all together.

Bax
05/21/2006, 04:06 PM
That tank is awesome!!!

Very nice!

asnatlas
05/22/2006, 12:04 AM
xxmattyxx
[welcome]

AcroSteve
05/22/2006, 03:54 AM
This thread used to have some good pics in it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=778081

Wade2185
05/22/2006, 08:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7410242#post7410242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SERVO
Here is a good start

There is a great few pages in Sprungs Reef Aquarium Vol 3 (Science Art and Technology) on all of the alternatives to the classic CSD. The design of Borneman's toliet valve surge I think is great. If something fails, you lose your surge, but not your floor. These things are really easy to make. I would highly recommend Delbeek and Sprungs new text.

Very cool! I went to the link above and it sounds great! Are you saying that the new Sprungs Reef book has diagrams, etc? After reading the above link I need to see some pictures in order to have it make complete sense.

Wade2185
05/22/2006, 08:35 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7410242#post7410242 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SERVO
Here is a good start

Very cool! I went to the link above and it sounds great! Are you saying that the new Sprungs Reef book has diagrams, etc? After reading the above link I need to see some pictures in order to have it make complete sense.

xxmattyxx
05/24/2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks asnatlas.

Ive been browsing ReefCentral for a good while. Since keeping marines which has been getting on for 3 years, and found it a great place to source info and reference.

Matt

saltyFISHscales
05/28/2006, 03:54 PM
Cant wait to see more pics!

alien9168
06/04/2006, 07:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7454685#post7454685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyFISHscales
Cant wait to see more pics!

Me niether! :smokin:

Wade2185
06/04/2006, 07:16 PM
Drilling for bulkheads (this is not me).

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1827-1.JPG

Plumbing the new Hammerhead pump that will run the closed loop island.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1829.JPG

Here is the Hammerhead pump after the plumbing was completed.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1854.JPG

Wade2185
06/04/2006, 07:20 PM
Testing the closed loop system.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1836.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1839.JPG

Hung a couple of my 400 watt lights

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1843.JPG

Wade2185
06/04/2006, 07:23 PM
Made a rack for stacking my rock and forming the island around the closed loop returns. Now I just need to cover it with egg crate.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1860.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1866.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1868.JPG

I will be converting every thing over this coming weekend from my existing tanks to this one. I will post more pics next weekend.

IsThisNameTaken?
06/06/2006, 11:11 AM
This is sooo awesome!!! I cant wait for the weekend!!!!!

Wade2185
06/14/2006, 08:40 AM
Its alive! After 16 hours of work on Saturday my tank is finally going. What a pain in the butt! I had a 55, 90 and 120 that I tore down and converted over to this new tank. Now the real work begins - Aquascaping. All I had time to do this weekend was get everything changed over and to a point where it could "survive". Now I need to get more rock and start arranging everything. Here are a couple of pics:

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1883.JPG

Here is a picture of the CL island that I am building. I am in the process of hiding the 4 1" CL returns. I think it is coming along well. :)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1886.JPG

Here is a pic of the other side of the island.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1887.JPG

Over all I am very happy with the way this tank is turning out. The overall flow right now is very good. I will be switching out my 2 Tunze Streams in the near future for 2 larger ones with controllers. Once I do that I will be set as far as flow goes.

sonofgaladriel
06/14/2006, 09:28 AM
Great job! I'll bet you're glad to be at this point! The closed loop island looks great. Did you put an alternating device, like an OM, on the closed loop?
This is a beautiful set up! Please keep sharing the pics!

Wade2185
06/14/2006, 10:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7558481#post7558481 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sonofgaladriel
Great job! I'll bet you're glad to be at this point! The closed loop island looks great. Did you put an alternating device, like an OM, on the closed loop?
This is a beautiful set up! Please keep sharing the pics!

Thanks for the nice comments. Your tank is one of the tanks that inspired me. I cant wait to see what you do next...

As far as the CL goes I was originally going to use a OM 4 way on it. I changed my mind though. The Hammerhead pump pushes alot of water. With the OM 4 way my main concern was having water blast from each return as the other 3 were off. I decided instead to put ball valves on all 4 CL returns. I have 2 of the returns throttled back and 2 wide open. This allows me to adjust my flow as I need. I also put loc lines t's on the end of each CL return so now I have 8 CL water returns that I can position however I want. In the future I am going to upgrade my Tunze Streams and put them on a controller (possibly get a wavemaker?). I feel that once I do that I will be able to accomplish the random flow that I would have gotten from the OM 4 way unit. I am very happy with the way it has turned out.

Wryknow
06/14/2006, 01:45 PM
Very, very nice. The depth of the tank is quite stunning and you did an awesome job hiding the CL system.

jman77
06/14/2006, 03:28 PM
Wow .... great setup.... it looks very nice !

Briankook
06/14/2006, 07:59 PM
Wade, looking great! Any pics of the tank from a little further away? It is hard to tell how big it is. Also, it would be cool if you had a small rock structure in the center of the tank with your corals on both sides & the top of it & the rest would be all swimming room.
My tank for instance has too much rock & it seems that all of the tanks that I really like on RC don't have overkill rockwork. Less is better!

Bax
06/14/2006, 08:39 PM
Love the tank!!
Every thing looks great!!!!

Wade2185
06/15/2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the nice comments.

Briankook - I agree with you 100%. Less is more when it comes to aquascaping. I am just getting started on the aquascaping. All I really had time to do this weekend is convert everything over to a point that it could survive. Now I need to rearrange and aquascape everything. The CL island is going to be just what you described above. I need to get a few BIG pieces of LR first.

I take some more pics soon and post em...

Ceak
06/15/2006, 11:08 AM
Wade man your tank is awesome!!! I love the dimensions!

Re the aquasape, I hope you keep alot of open space, it looks more realistic that way. I will be following your progress closely as I am planning a semi-cube myself, keep up the good work!

I'd like to know what bulbs/ballasts you have on the right side? (blue)

Wade2185
06/15/2006, 11:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7566211#post7566211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ceak
Wade man your tank is awesome!!! I love the dimensions!

Re the aquasape, I hope you keep alot of open space, it looks more realistic that way. I will be following your progress closely as I am planning a semi-cube myself, keep up the good work!

I'd like to know what bulbs/ballasts you have on the right side? (blue)

Thanks! I definatley have my work cut out for me on the Aquascaping. I will not stack any rock against any of the sides. I want to try and form some sort of a canyon in the middle using the CL Island for part of that effect. I just need alot of time and more LR. :)

The ballast on the right is a standard PFO (not HQI or anything). The bulbs are Blueline 10ks. I bought this dual setup used and those are the bulbs that came with it. In the future I plan on trying the Coralvue Reeflux 12ks. I run the Coralvue Reeflux 10ks right now and am pretty happy with them.

Wade2185
06/15/2006, 11:36 AM
This is the type of Aquascaping that I want to do. Nice and clean...

http://members.cox.net/gregpeterson/tank2.jpg

Ceak
06/15/2006, 11:53 AM
Of course that tank is famous!

I also like cward's and Steve Weast's aquascapes alot. Those three tanks and now yours are my idol tanks. :D

Wade2185
06/15/2006, 11:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7566504#post7566504 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Ceak
Of course that tank is famous!

I also like cward's and Steve Weast's aquascapes alot. Those three tanks and now yours are my idol tanks. :D

That is funny you say that because those are the tanks that I drew my inspiration from for this tank. I am not even close to those tanks...Yet... :D

Ceak
06/15/2006, 12:03 PM
it all starts from the aquascaping... Cward has like 7or 8 corals in his tank and it looks amasing...

ReefWaters
06/15/2006, 12:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7558234#post7558234 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1886.JPG

What is that low light, bubble looking, coral under the over hang?
Where did you get it?

By the way, VERY NICE WORK so far! I really like the aquascaping. I am going to go with the "less is more" attitude in my next tank and have as little rock as possible.

Keep up the good work and please keep us updated with pics.

saltyFISHscales
06/16/2006, 08:39 AM
WOw, that picture is intense!!! Did you take that photo with an under water camera? That's some nice aquascaping!

Wade2185
06/16/2006, 08:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7566636#post7566636 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWaters
What is that low light, bubble looking, coral under the over hang?
Where did you get it?

By the way, VERY NICE WORK so far! I really like the aquascaping. I am going to go with the "less is more" attitude in my next tank and have as little rock as possible.

Keep up the good work and please keep us updated with pics.

I do not really know what it is called. I got it at my LFS and have had it for 2 years now. I will ask them the name...

Thanks for the compliments!

Wade2185
06/16/2006, 08:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7571620#post7571620 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by saltyFISHscales
WOw, that picture is intense!!! Did you take that photo with an under water camera? That's some nice aquascaping!

Thanks for the compliments. That picture is just from the side of my tank. Nothing underwater or fancy. I am going to try and do alot of aquascaping this weekend. After I do I will post some more pics.

Wade2185
06/17/2006, 09:03 PM
More pics :D

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1935.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1936.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1938.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1940.JPG

Wade2185
06/17/2006, 09:09 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1941.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1942.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1943.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1945.JPG

Wade2185
06/17/2006, 09:16 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1947.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1947.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1951.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1952.JPG

Wade2185
06/17/2006, 09:24 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1955.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1956.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1957.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1958.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384DSCN1959.JPG

Briankook
06/18/2006, 05:53 PM
wade2185, the pics look great!
Just curious, does your overflow handle a lot of flow? Is it easy to max them out with your return pump? The overflow looks like it can handle a lot.

AcroSteve
06/18/2006, 07:53 PM
Nice layout.

Wade2185
06/18/2006, 08:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7584200#post7584200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Briankook
wade2185, the pics look great!
Just curious, does your overflow handle a lot of flow? Is it easy to max them out with your return pump? The overflow looks like it can handle a lot.

I have 4 1" drains with the AGA megaflow kits. They are working very well. I estimate that they can handle around 3,000 GPH of total flow. My pump is feeding 4 returns and I think I lost alot of flow because I went from 2 1 1/2" returns down to 4 3/4" returns. But overall I am very pleased with my flow. I am do not want to return to much through my sump because of micro bubbles.

ReeferMonkey
06/23/2006, 11:51 AM
Great tank Wade! While I'm setting up a small system now (36Lx24Wx18H), SonOfGaladriel's cube tank (as well as his future plans!) have inspired me. My next tank will definitely be something like what you have here.

I'm a big architecture geek and I think you've done an excellent job with your aquascape! What sort of stocking are planning on?

Wade2185
06/23/2006, 01:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7614782#post7614782 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReeferMonkey
Great tank Wade! While I'm setting up a small system now (36Lx24Wx18H), SonOfGaladriel's cube tank (as well as his future plans!) have inspired me. My next tank will definitely be something like what you have here.

I'm a big architecture geek and I think you've done an excellent job with your aquascape! What sort of stocking are planning on?

Thanks for the compliments! I have had alot of fun setting this tank up so far...

This is mainly going to be an SPS tank. For fish I currently have the following:

2 - Rabbit fish
1 - Vlamingi(?) tang
1 - Chevron Tang
3 - Anthias
2 - Clown Fish

I am going to add more Anthias and some Chromis. I want the Anthias and Chromis to hang out and school together. I still want to add more rock and "perfect" my aquascaping further but I think I am off to a good start so far.

ReeferMonkey
06/23/2006, 01:48 PM
The chromis will not school. They'll hang out for a bit when first introduced and maybe a bit longer if they're still immature, but they'll start picking each other off.

Check out Apogon parvulus, the red spot cardinal, or Apogon leptacanthus, the glass cardinal. The red spots are very tiny and hard to find in the trade as they don't ship well. Glass cardinals are more common and should be readily available. Those and anthias are probably your best bet.

Wade2185
06/23/2006, 01:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7615598#post7615598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReeferMonkey
The chromis will not school. They'll hang out for a bit when first introduced and maybe a bit longer if they're still immature, but they'll start picking each other off.

Check out Apogon parvulus, the red spot cardinal, or Apogon leptacanthus, the glass cardinal. The red spots are very tiny and hard to find in the trade as they don't ship well. Glass cardinals are more common and should be readily available. Those and anthias are probably your best bet.

Thanks for the info! I am very "Green" when it comes to fish. If you were doing a tank like this how would you stock it? I am open to any and all ideas/suggestions at this point.

ReefWaters
06/23/2006, 02:14 PM
I added 5 chromis to my 50 cube originally. They kind of stay together but that could just be b/c they dont have a lot of room to get away from each other. :D

If you do decide on chromis, I would order a large amount. Like 30 or so at once. They WILL pick a few of themselves off over time. Mostly the weaker ones. I mistakenly tried to add two more to my tank and they were killed (by the other chromis) within a day or two. The original 5 dont bother each other. Just dont add a few at a time over time.

If you have any fish that like to chase the chromis, they should stick together a little more. Its probably hit or miss.

Anyway, IMO, I like chromis. I like cardinals too.

ReeferMonkey
06/23/2006, 02:16 PM
Dangerous question :) I'm a little nutty about fish keeping in that I almost exclusively prefer reef-dwelling fishes with small natural ranges comparable to that of an aquarium.

You've got a couple of big tangs, I personally wouldn't add any more. I would maybe think about adding a nice dwarf angel (a Pygmy, Coral Beauty or Flameback) or maybe a pair of Genicanthus angels (Watanabeis, Swallowtails, etc.) if you just must have more large fish.

With such a big tank I would get fish that are out in the open a lot. For me, this would mean a half-dozen or so more Anthias to form a nice little school and then grab another half-dozen or so Glass Cardinals.

To round it out, I would probably get a few other fish that would stay in and around the rockwork and surprise you with an appearance now and then. Since you've got some bigger fish, I would go with something that's not gunshy. That rules out Assessors, some of your funky Wrasses (also open top, yes?), Basslets, etc. Maybe an Orchid Dottyback or a Grama, a Goby or Blenny (Midas!) and/or a Pistol/Yasha combo. Keep in mind small fish will easily get lost but still could be interesting.

Wade2185
06/23/2006, 02:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7615875#post7615875 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReeferMonkey
Dangerous question :) I'm a little nutty about fish keeping in that I almost exclusively prefer reef-dwelling fishes with small natural ranges comparable to that of an aquarium.

You've got a couple of big tangs, I personally wouldn't add any more. I would maybe think about adding a nice dwarf angel (a Pygmy, Coral Beauty or Flameback) or maybe a pair of Genicanthus angels (Watanabeis, Swallowtails, etc.) if you just must have more large fish.

With such a big tank I would get fish that are out in the open a lot. For me, this would mean a half-dozen or so more Anthias to form a nice little school and then grab another half-dozen or so Glass Cardinals.

To round it out, I would probably get a few other fish that would stay in and around the rockwork and surprise you with an appearance now and then. Since you've got some bigger fish, I would go with something that's not gunshy. That rules out Assessors, some of your funky Wrasses (also open top, yes?), Basslets, etc. Maybe an Orchid Dottyback or a Grama, a Goby or Blenny (Midas!) and/or a Pistol/Yasha combo. Keep in mind small fish will easily get lost but still could be interesting.

Thanks for the info! I do not plan on adding anymore tangs. The Vlamingi and the Chevron are two of my favorite fish and that is one of the reasons I made such a big tank. I have ruled out wrasses because of my open top and my carpet anemone. The only exception to that is the "Mystery Wrasse". I really would like to have a Mystery Wrasse. I have also been thinking about a blue spot jawfish. They are very interesting. I am going to go to the LFS tonight and see if they have any Anthias in stock.

AZreefkeeper
06/23/2006, 03:17 PM
Very nice, I like your

AZreefkeeper
06/23/2006, 03:19 PM
Very nice, I like your priorities, finish the tank before the room...:rollface:

RyanJ
09/11/2006, 11:42 PM
Did you ever get any anthias? Shawn had a ton of awesome ones in the past couple of weeks. He even had ones that I've never heard of. Very cool.

mrchriscarlton
09/12/2006, 12:56 AM
I love that scaping. It's given me a few ideas - my tank has only been setup for a year and already I'm getting itchy tank fingers!

Any more pics to share with us guys and gals from overseas!

Nanook
09/12/2006, 09:28 PM
Beautiful tank! I have a 5x5x30 glass tank from IA that I will be setting up for sps soon.

dave :thumbsup:

sumpinhabitant
09/13/2006, 12:39 AM
very nice love the aquascping

alien9168
09/13/2006, 05:00 PM
Beutiful work wade! :)

I really like your selection of corals and your aquascaping! :)

Way to go!

Wade2185
09/14/2006, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all of the compliments. I have been having alot of fun with this new tank and I am learning alot as well. I will update this thread with new pics once I fix my broken camera...

Ryan - I bought the two Anthias that Shawn had at Aquatica. Unfortunatley I could not get them to eat and they both died. I am really bummed.

supermarvin76
09/14/2006, 06:22 PM
Just would like to give you mad props!!! This tank is KILLER!!! I have long been planning and dreaming of a 4'x4' tank.

This will be one for the books when it is complete.

Great Job!!

drummereef
09/14/2006, 11:12 PM
Your display is seriously sweet. Awesome job so far! :thumbsup:

Wade2185
09/15/2006, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the nice comments. I really appreciate it. I cannot wait to get my camera fixed. Things have gotten ALOT better over the last 3 months. I will post some updates in the future.

supermarvin76
09/15/2006, 05:33 PM
Can't wait to see more pics!!!

Wade2185
11/19/2006, 09:08 PM
Update

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0079.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0071.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0035.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0028-1.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0033.JPG

ReefWaters
11/19/2006, 09:31 PM
Looking great. Im hoping to place the order for my 5'x4' soon.

What are your bulb temps and configuration? It almost looks like you have some red "spot lighting" in there.

thetedinator
11/19/2006, 11:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6923968#post6923968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacob30
For the closed loops on my upgrade(350 gal) I am going to be using 2 reeflo Darts.

I have seen (heard) the Dart in action and I run a Barracuda. The Dart is very quiet. The Barracuda is very loud and loves electricity. Don't misunderstand. I am happy with my Barracude and with Reeflo/Sequence but my equipment is outside so noise is not an issue. When I make some plumbing changes to my system, I am going to replace the Barracuda with the Dart.

cya,

Ted

Bax
11/20/2006, 07:02 AM
Your tank looks awesome!

Typhon
11/20/2006, 08:49 AM
Great looking tank!!! :D

Wade2185
11/20/2006, 09:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8581947#post8581947 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWaters
Looking great. Im hoping to place the order for my 5'x4' soon.

What are your bulb temps and configuration? It almost looks like you have some red "spot lighting" in there.

The "red" looking area is a Reeflux 10K bulb. I am running 1 Reeflux 10K, 2 Reeflux 12Ks and a XM 20K.

Leonardo_
11/20/2006, 10:21 AM
Woow, a lot has happened since the last photo's :)

I see you have add fish. What species did you decide to put in?

Leonardo

Ironsheikh
11/20/2006, 01:31 PM
See threads like these make me think CUBES are the way to go. I think aquascaping is just as important as the fish really and the cube lets you create little islands and valleys.
I check out the large reef forums cuz I know the aquascapes are usually better---
where's the link to check out cward's and Steve Weast's aquascapes?

Quatro
11/20/2006, 01:39 PM
That's awesome, looks like a Japanese reef!

Are you still running two skimmers, G4 & G5? How is that working out? Do you think two smaller skimmers works better for you than one large?

Please post a clear shot from the front and right sides, when you get a chance ;)

Wade2185
11/20/2006, 02:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8584526#post8584526 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Leonardo's Reef
Woow, a lot has happened since the last photo's :)

I see you have add fish. What species did you decide to put in?

Leonardo

2 - Squamp. Anthias
2 - Christmas Anthias
1 - Chevron Tang
1 - Purple Tang
1 - Unicorn Tang
1 - Foxface Rabbit Fish
1 - Verigate Rabbit Fish
1 - Long Nose Hawk Fish
2 - Sixline Wrasses
1 - Unknown Wrasse
1 - White Sleeper Goby
1 - Pink Skunk clownfish
1 - Nigripes clownfish

Wade2185
11/20/2006, 02:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8585968#post8585968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hceiv
That's awesome, looks like a Japanese reef!

Are you still running two skimmers, G4 & G5? How is that working out? Do you think two smaller skimmers works better for you than one large?

Please post a clear shot from the front and right sides, when you get a chance ;)

I am still running the 2 skimmers (G4 and G5). I throttled the G4 back quite a bit. I run the ozone through the G4 and clean out the cup once every 4 weeks. The G5 in running all out and I change the cup once every 3-4 days. The G5 is doing a killer job. I am VERY pleased with this skimmer.

I just got a new camera. I will take some more pics tonight and post em. Thanks to everyone for the nice compliments.

asnatlas
11/20/2006, 03:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8586387#post8586387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Wade2185
I just got a new camera. I will take some more pics tonight and post em. Thanks to everyone for the nice compliments.

What did you pick up ??

Wade2185
11/20/2006, 03:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8586582#post8586582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asnatlas
What did you pick up ??

Pentax K110D digital SLR

cward
11/20/2006, 03:41 PM
Your tank is looking awesome.

Wade2185
11/20/2006, 03:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8586846#post8586846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cward
Your tank is looking awesome.

Thanks! I am going to try and pickup a zoom lens for my new camera on the way home tonight. Maybe I can get some better shots.

SunnyX
11/20/2006, 05:49 PM
Great looking tank and layout. :thumbsup:

My next tank is will definately be a cube or penninsula.

Keep the pics coming!!!

Briankook
11/20/2006, 07:21 PM
Can we see some pics from further away? Looks like this is going to be one of my favorites :).

johnnyatc
11/20/2006, 08:49 PM
Outstanding tank Wade2185. Wish I had a basement for a tank that size. More pics please....

drummereef
11/20/2006, 10:10 PM
TOTM candidate!!! :D

Wade2185
11/20/2006, 10:28 PM
More pics :D

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0117.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0118.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0119.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0120.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0123.JPG

Wade2185
11/20/2006, 10:36 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0125.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0126.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0127.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/18384IMGP0134.JPG

stlouisguy
11/20/2006, 10:46 PM
Fabulous tank. I hope mine will be there someday, just put my first coral in.

I am also running 4 x 400 in luminarc. I like the coloring, what bulbs are you using? What par?

Thanks

Wade2185
11/20/2006, 10:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8589997#post8589997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stlouisguy
Fabulous tank. I hope mine will be there someday, just put my first coral in.

I am also running 4 x 400 in luminarc. I like the coloring, what bulbs are you using? What par?

Thanks

1 - 400 watt Reeflux 10K
2 - 400 watt Reeflux 12K
1 - 400 watt XM 20K

stlouisguy
11/20/2006, 11:18 PM
I am thinking of 4 12k reeflux . Why did you go with one 10k? Is the blue nice from the 12k? do you use any acyntic? I know you get good growth (that sure shows!!)

Thanks

Wade2185
11/21/2006, 09:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8590211#post8590211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stlouisguy
I am thinking of 4 12k reeflux . Why did you go with one 10k? Is the blue nice from the 12k? do you use any acyntic? I know you get good growth (that sure shows!!)

Thanks

I do use some actinics. I run 3 110 watt actinic VHO. I left the 10K because it was not time to change the bulb yet. I am still undecided on bulb color. FYI - I think that the XM 20K bulb looks better than the Reeflux 12K. I have 4 150 watt MHs that I am thinking about hooking up so that I can continue to play with the lighting combos/colors.

stlouisguy
11/21/2006, 10:42 AM
I use 4 95 watt acynitc which adds to the look but not happy with how white the tank looks with CoralVue 10K Reeflux . I think I will go up to 12k as I dont want to lose the growth by going up to 20k

Will post pics on how it looks

asnatlas
12/27/2006, 10:11 AM
Any updates ??

Alphabet
12/27/2006, 12:31 PM
More pic's, did you finish the room? Love the cube tank!

rafael13
12/27/2006, 01:16 PM
really nice, great job!!!!

Deepsea2005
12/27/2006, 02:45 PM
Out standing. TOTM some day for sure.

BRISK495
03/12/2007, 11:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8835840#post8835840 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Deepsea2005
Out standing. TOTM some day for sure.

agreed!

TripleP
03/24/2007, 09:29 AM
That is one of the best looking tank i have seen :rollface:

ReefWaters
06/11/2007, 07:12 PM
How's the tank doing? Any updates?

Wade2185
06/12/2007, 09:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10123668#post10123668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWaters
How's the tank doing? Any updates?

Well, things have changed alot. I went on vacation and got a wild hair and decided I wanted to move. So I tore down the tank, sold all of the stuff and moved to a different house. At the same time I decided to take a break from the SW hobby. It has been nice to not be tied down by the tank and maintenance.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

thriceanangel
06/12/2007, 10:19 AM
WTH is a wild hair??

Bax
06/12/2007, 10:29 AM
It's apparently something that makes you want to change your surroundings ... radically.

... as long as it makes you happy Wade

pressthebutton
06/12/2007, 12:25 PM
great tank! square and cube tanks are my favorite!

Julio
06/12/2007, 06:54 PM
Beautiful tank!!! love the dimensions, congrats

Opcn
06/12/2007, 07:37 PM
Great looking live stock. Whats sad is that I can't get over the fact that the cube tank is not a cube, I may need therapy for my math-nerd-ness.

DisturbedReefer
06/12/2007, 10:12 PM
Just think of it as cubish Opcn:D
Wade, I completely understand where you're coming from. I had a 36x36x24 135g tank up for a little over 3 yrs, then work got the best of me and I decided to tear it down, sold everything, and take a break. However, I didn't get out completely, I set up an AP24 with my yellow fuzzy dwarf lionfish...it has become a full blown SPS tank...so much for my break, but it is still much easier than the big tank:D

thriceanangel
06/13/2007, 06:56 AM
So is a wild hair is french for midlife crisis?

TandN
06/13/2007, 05:48 PM
WOW amazing tank I love it how ablout some pics of the equiptment ????