PDA

View Full Version : carbon and corals

Sk8r
03/10/2006, 09:53 AM
This filterless sort of marine system is new to me. We used to run carbon, polypads, particulate filtration, etc, in a big mostly fish/few corals tank. Now it's a sump with nothing in it and mostly corals.
System: a 52gal reef with a tiny sump (corner tank) stony coral, mushrooms, one zooanthid, two small fish and a healthy crew of inverts and abundant hitchhikers on live rock, with RO/DI water, Urchin skimmer. Everything is on the high end: cal, mg, alk, but within normal range.
In short, what's modern thinking on corals, carbon and polypads? Good? Bad? :confused:

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/10/2006, 09:56 AM
I run GAC (carbon) and recommend that others do as well, It is one of the few ways that certain organics will be removed from the water:

Organic Compounds in the Reef Aquarium
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/rhf/index.htm

I don't use or generally recommend particulate filtration. :)

Sk8r
03/10/2006, 10:08 AM
Thank you. :) And thanks for the link. Honestly, I had run through the topics in the read-it list looking for carbon, but hadn't twigged to this one. Your article covers a wonderfully useful lot of issues in a very short space. I'll mark that for re-reading at several points as I gain experience with this system.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/10/2006, 11:59 AM
You're quite welcome.

Happy reefing. :)