PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP Tank Water Smells Can't Find Problem

saltman1
03/10/2006, 09:51 AM
OK, Here is my dilemma. Over the past week I have had a red slime alage breakout in the tank on some parts of the sand only! I had a new SPS RTN on me this week. Which it was only 2 weeks old anyway so it may have anyway. The tank is 5 months strong with never an issue until now. I'm no newbie I understand the hobby. All my water parameters are in check. Every Monday I test and this past Monday was no different. Everything was reef normal for testing. Well this week aside from my sps piece rtn my sun polyp which is out every day hasnt been out all week. The tank smells like a common dead coral smell....foul odor when I smell the water. YET everything looks fine, I only have 4 fish and they are great, I took out and smelled the few corals that havent had PE just to make sure and they are fine....where is the smell coming from?? THE ONLY THING I CHANGED, was I added a phosban 150 reactor to get rid of phosphates on last Saturday. It's running properly and after checking phpsphates 2 days after it went from .05 to 0. So whats's up. I will say that 24 hrs after adding that to the system I noticed the cynao....

saltman1
03/10/2006, 10:33 AM
any thoughts

wantahealthytank
03/10/2006, 10:37 AM
Not sure, but I have heard that some of those phosphate removers can possibly leach metals into the water. Not 100% on that. Maybe something fell behind a rock and is dying?

I had a problem with a horrid smell in my tank twice. Carbon always took care of it fairly quickly. One time the problem was when I started up a canister filter that had been sitting for a while, the water in the tubes went very bad and smelled up the whole house and the tank.

The other time, my DT's Phyto went bad, and I didn't realize it right away. Again, just having carbon in a canister filter made the water smell normal again in just a few hours.

Kinetic
03/10/2006, 10:41 AM
a lot of detritus buildup in the sandbed could cause red slime and the decaying smell

fgarvine
03/10/2006, 10:43 AM
IS it a rotten egg smell?

saltman1
03/10/2006, 11:00 AM
More like a dead coral nasty smell. I just did a water change and mixed up the sand bed so we'll see....

thereefmaster
03/10/2006, 11:07 AM
hmmm..... MAybe a crash? Not a huge one, but a minor one. 5 months old you say? JMO, but I think that is a bit too soon. Whatever works though.... ;)

Another thought, is it a DSB or an SSB?

-Nate :)

Kinetic
03/10/2006, 11:33 AM
any sand bed will hold a little bit of detritus. even a SSB can crash a tank.

Instead of stirring the sand, if it's a SSB just siphon as much crud out of it as possible.

Alaskan Reefer
03/10/2006, 01:53 PM
See what the carbon does. I don't think any phosphate media will create a foul smell, but there are some that are aluminum based which have the potential to put aluminim in your system -- I've never seen any scientific proof that it happens.

5 months is maybe a little early for SPS. I'm waiting a year to add any more than the ones I imported from the last tank, although it's pretty damn difficult to do so.

Cyano is almost always detritus buildup in the sand. I'd do water changes with siphoning.

Kinetic
03/10/2006, 02:41 PM
I only waited about 2 months before adding my SPS, and I have a lot of growth and very long polyp extension?

saltman1
03/10/2006, 03:00 PM
It's a 3-4 inch sand bed. I have plating monti that is doing wonderful as well as some digi's. Just the acro had RTN. More worried about the odor. Funny siphoned the sand with WC this morning and already seeing red slime build up again in the same areas!! AHHHH

Alaskan Reefer
03/10/2006, 04:29 PM
koden -- you can add them any time you want after cycling. Personally, I know I'm going to jack with the aquascaping, kalk dosage, where I point the Tunzes, and so on for at least another few months -- so I avoid anything I can't move. SPS mostly care about stability, and for me I don't get "settled" on how a tank looks or runs for at least six months -- and on the last two tanks it took me a year. The montis and turbinaria I have in the tank now are extending fully and growing nicely, but I'm just not ready to add more -- not "done" messing with the tank, which is where you need to be before dumping in acro frags.

Alaskan Reefer
03/10/2006, 04:34 PM
Salt -- yeah I went through that on my 75 -- clean off the cyano, siphon, and boom there it is again. Just keep doing it you will win eventually.