PDA

View Full Version : glass drilling?

yoshiod9
03/10/2006, 02:45 PM
i recall wombat2 writing up or linking a glass drilling link a long while ago. i'm planning on drilling the 90g tank that i bought from sam (bluenassarius) with a few overflow holes using a dremel and was curious as to what bits were recommended.

i found this site (http://www.sv-sea.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7&mode=&order=0&thold=0#Figure1) but don't know if those are what anyone who has actually drilled glass would recommend. anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, please let me know!

thanks!
-danny

Elite
03/10/2006, 03:22 PM
Check out this guys on ebay. I bought some bits from him and they work great
Click Here (http://stores.ebay.com/Treasure-HK-Ltd)

wombat2
03/10/2006, 03:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6926077#post6926077 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoshiod9
i found this site (http://www.sv-sea.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7&mode=&order=0&thold=0#Figure1)

That's exactly how I do it Danny. :D I take it outside and use a garden hose trickling down the glass, or do it in the sink if it's small enough. You need to use a LOT of water. You can't overdo the water.

sumyungviet
03/10/2006, 03:40 PM
i just test drilled a 10 gallon yesterday... just use a diamond tipped bit, and go slowly... i didnt use a garden hose, but just sprayed water with a spray bottle as i drilled along

yoshiod9
03/10/2006, 03:44 PM
fantastic! thanks for all the help, guys!
-danny

lrsafari
03/10/2006, 04:05 PM
If you are in a hurry, Harbor Freight sells a diamond bit set with a lot of bits for about $7 or so. No great quality, but I have drilled several holes using a couple of the ones in the kit.

-Scott

little_d
03/10/2006, 04:50 PM
I got a 38mm diamond bit that you can use if you like to borrow it, require a drill though. I used it to drill a hole for my new sump on Monday. We just spray tons of water while drilling and it turned out great.

yoshiod9
03/10/2006, 05:13 PM
i just went out to HD and picked up a few different bits. one is made specifically for drilling glass (shaped like a shovel...just with sharp edges and point) and the others are the diamond bits that i linked to. i'm hoping that they'll work out well. i've read a few different articles on drilling glass and the most often repeated things i've read are that you need to go slowly and use plenty of water. :) i'm going to practice on some thinner glass before going to the real thing! thanks again for the help and thanks for the offer little_d!
-danny

pepe.king.prawn
03/10/2006, 05:25 PM
I tried one of those shovel shaped ones when I was drilling a 10g... definitely broke the tank.. lol.. oops.

wombat2
03/10/2006, 06:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6927138#post6927138 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoshiod9
i just went out to HD and picked up a few different bits. one is made specifically for drilling glass (shaped like a shovel...just with sharp edges and point) and the others are the diamond bits that i linked to. i'm hoping that they'll work out well. i've read a few different articles on drilling glass and the most often repeated things i've read are that you need to go slowly and use plenty of water. :) i'm going to practice on some thinner glass before going to the real thing! thanks again for the help and thanks for the offer little_d!
-danny

You know the bits in the article you linked are for a Dremel tool, not a drill, right?

bluenassarius
03/10/2006, 06:49 PM
sounds like a plan danny :) glad you like the tank, my wife wanted it out asap :P

thereefgeek
03/10/2006, 08:11 PM
Same way as Matt... I drilled a 40 AGA for a 1-1/2" bulkhead out of my sump. Go slow, use a little water, and go slow. Did I mention you should go slow? Worked like a charm and I didn't even break it!

yoshiod9
03/10/2006, 10:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6927478#post6927478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wombat2
You know the bits in the article you linked are for a Dremel tool, not a drill, right?

they're for a dremel?! ...

just kidding. ;)

yeah, i've got a drill and a dremel that i am going to test out the glass bits on and see which i like better.

thanks for the words of advice rich and tristan...i'll make sure to go slow...really slow and test the shovel style drill bit (and probably not use it!).
-danny

eben
03/15/2006, 02:42 PM
Just be careful of glass shards, especially if you use a towel underneath the tank....they can be really sharp and dangerous!

yoshiod9
03/15/2006, 02:58 PM
funny guy, eben!! hey, did i leave the pvc at your place? i NEED it and i'm not going to HD to buy another 10ft section for only 1ft of it. lol. also, the iwaki came in...woot! yeah...i'm just gonna call you.