PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Water?

SRT80
03/11/2006, 01:24 PM
Is it ok to use drinking water from the grocery store for top off water?

Steve

SRT80
03/11/2006, 01:36 PM
Reason I'm asking is, I ran out of top off water this evening and don't feel like goin' to the critter this evening. I usually use water from AC. So, I was just wondering for this evening and tomorrow morning will the drinking water be ok?

Thanks,
Steve

SRT80
03/11/2006, 02:18 PM
Anyone have any input?

Thanks,
Steve

DMBillies
03/11/2006, 02:54 PM
Because I live about 45 minutes from the Critter (which is where I like to shop most) I hate driving out there if all I need is water (whether top off water or for regular changes). As such, I've taken to buying the Culligan water from the Walmart that is 2 minutes down the street and mixing my own. From what I understand, the water gets charcoal treated, RO/DI, and then UV treated as it leaves the nozzle. Depending on where you go, they might not treat it that thoroughly, but I have had 0 problems with using it. I had used my own home water for a little while because that is what I always did with freshwater, but found out that it had a ton of copper in it, which was not good for almost anything in the tank (luckily I found out after only a couple of snails kicked the bucket and was able to treat with Cuprisorb and do a huge water change to fix the problem). I would say as long as they maintain their equipment, put it through an RO/DI unit, and don't add anything back to it, you're fine to use the water. There should be a maintenance schedule posted on the water dispenser that indicates when they last serviced the filters and most that I have seen have an explanation of how they process the water. I know a lot of people buy RO/DI units so that they can make their own water, so I see no reason that it isn't good enough. That said, I know that the Critter uses a little bit of a different method (can't remember what it is called) which is supposed to get even more impurities out.

Sorry about the novel...

sunamoon
03/11/2006, 03:47 PM
I have always used the cullligan water. I have never had any problems with it. 33 cents a gallon is what makes me tote 7 3 gallon jugs!

Mobikob
03/11/2006, 08:30 PM
I used distilled water for years and it did just fine. when I did switch to RODI I noticed I didn't have to clean my glass as often.
I would use it in an emergency situation, I don't see why not.

Mobi:D

Angela Short
03/12/2006, 08:55 AM
FWIW I tested the water from the cool springs wal mart and it had a pretty high amount of phoshate in it with a salifert kit. I guess they just haven't cleaned there unit in awhile.

SRT80
03/12/2006, 09:28 AM
I ended up using purified water from kmart. It said purified with reverse osmosis. Didnt say anything about added minerals like the others. I only needed like a cup to just top off. I'm goin' to AC today to get some top off. Thanks for the help...

Steve

KAiNE
03/12/2006, 11:21 AM
I think you need to PM me. I live in LaVergne and have plenty of 0tds RO/DI.
I keep about 40g on hand.

I am doing a water change this morning so i dont have that much currently but i probably have 5g to spare.