PDA

View Full Version : Genx mak4 problem

beaker020
03/11/2006, 08:58 PM
My mak4 had been getting a little noisier lately so I pulled it apart for a good cleaning. All went well until I reconnected it and powered it back up. It made an awful racket and barely pumped any water. So once again I drain the plumbing, remove the pump and disassemble the impeller . When I pull the impeller housing off the motor the drive magnet, which is supposed to attached to the motor, comes out with it! It doesnt seem to have been glued or fastened in any manner.

This is the second genX mak4 pump I've had. The first one was so noisy right from new that I sold it a month after I bought it.

I'm kinda stuck right now. I'm going to use some epoxy to glue it back in so I can get it back into service. One problem I see is that the drive assembly is ballanced so it will be unballanced and may vibrate.

I will see what PCI and custom aquatics have to say about it on monday.

http://www3.telus.net/beaker/genx.JPG

zapata41
03/11/2006, 10:01 PM
the drive magnet is held on by a setscrew, so dont epoxy it just tighten it up.

Tim

beaker020
03/11/2006, 10:39 PM
The holder for the magnet is held in by a set screw. The magnet has detached from the holder. If you look close at the picture you can see the holder still attached to the motor.

zapata41
03/12/2006, 11:34 AM
ok well then, you mioght wanna epoxy it. try looking for some marks to help line it up so it will still be balanced, or wait till monday and call whomever you bought it from and see what they say. the epoxy might void the warranty

Tim