PDA

View Full Version : Octopus update along with egg photos

Chckrbrd Wrasse
03/12/2006, 03:22 PM
Octopus update along with egg photos
I have had my octopus for a little over 6 weeks now. About 2 weeks ago she laid a few strings of eggs on the back corner of the tank. At first they were hard to see as she guarded them constantly with her arms. But I was able to get a shot of a couple of the strings of eggs.
First a picture of the mother. Which is a Caribbean or Florida Octopus.
http://www.geocities.com/checkerboard_wrasse/floridamother.jpg
Then her eggs.
http://geocities.com/checkerboard_wrasse/FloridaOctopuseggsthm.jpg
If you care like to see a bigger picture. You can see it at
http://geocities.com/checkerboard_wrasse/FloridaOctopuseggs.jpg
I have seen few threads asking about what can or can not be in with an octopus.
I can’t say this is typical only give you a time line for an idea of what I have done and seen with mine. I have always kept fiddler crabs in the tank and throw in some ghost shrimp from time to time. Lately I have seen only one fish and some inverts go way side. I think only because they came to close to her eggs. The starfish I lost just today has always been very close to her and her eggs. Today I found the star missing a very large part of its body and legs removed. From the start of this tanks setup I was prepared to lose any of the inhabitants as most were placed in either to cycle the tank or for food.
I have had my Caribbean or Florida Octopus since January 28, 2006 about 43 days ago. I discovered the eggs about February 28, 2006 about 12 days ago
Other inhabitants in the tank are or were:
1- Red Stripe Angelfish; February 1 for about 6 weeks and still alive
6- Blue Green Reef Chromis; January 23 for about 9 weeks as they were the ones I used to cycle the tank. All still living.
1- Percula Clownfish; March 10. Still Living
1- Yellow Tang; Feb. 1 for 5 weeks but now deceased got a little to close to the eggs.
Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab; January 23 about 9 weeks. Most Still Living
1- Red Brittle Sea Star; January 23 about 9 weeks but now deceased got a little to close to the eggs.
Turbo Snails; January 23 about 9 weeks. Most Still Living
2- Peppermint Shrimps; 4 weeks now only 1 Still Living.
2- Fighting Conchs; 6 weeks both still alive
2- Emerald Mithrax Crabs; 8 weeks both still living

If you’re curious to the tank you can see some photos on a previous thread I posted
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=757261
Or click on my homepage icon which I have many photos posted.
The only light I have on this tank. Is a Coralife T-5 strip light.

mmgm
03/12/2006, 05:15 PM
Very cool.... My hat off to you for attempting an Octopus tank..... I have read this is not easy and they are accomplished escape artists....

I always thought they are predators and should not be kept with other fish.... but I really don't know much about them.....

I'll be visiting this thread again to learn and see how your making out.....

Enjoy.....:D

Chckrbrd Wrasse
03/12/2006, 06:18 PM
Thank you mmgm, it is something I have failed at before. I have tried 2 other times to keep octopus. Each time before it was a small tank. Each time they lived no more than days. I was totally surprised when the fish I used to cycle this tank did survive after she was put in. It may have helped once she had her eggs. She will not wonder off. I am sure that is the only reason the one peppermint shrimp is still living. I have to say I am glad I did try it again they truly are awesome.

gvardaman
03/15/2006, 11:43 PM
Wow, very impressive. Is there a chance these eggs are fertilized? I don't remember if females store the eggs or if they lay them and wait for them to get fertilized...

I had an octopus in a 100g corner tank with a dwarf lion and a percula clown for about 1.5 years with no trouble. I too expected the Octo to get everything else and was prepared. What a pleasant surprise when they get along!

Good luck with your Ceph, she's a beaut!

Chckrbrd Wrasse
03/16/2006, 06:53 PM
I have seen some changes in the eggs to make them seem as they could be fertile. I have also notice some eggs dropping off though. So I am not sure if she is culling out the bad ones. Or possibly something else is getting to them. It has been a little over 2 weeks now I am seeing dots in the eggs. I think I read some where that this species eggs hatch after 30 days. So I would think I would see better devopment. The bad part is from any information I have read so far. This will be the last thing she does before she withers away. She has taken a little food but nothing real substantial. I ordered a book titled Cephalopods: A World Guide" by Mark Norman. I am hoping I can get a little more info on them from the book. gvardaman
Thanks for showing interest and your comments.

DHyslop
03/16/2006, 08:45 PM
The dots are a good sign.

If you're seeing some disappear that might be normal. Its been reported that expectant bimac mothers will eat a festoon here or there rather than leave the brood to hunt.

Dan

Chckrbrd Wrasse
03/16/2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the info Dan I
try and offer something to her every day. about 2nd to 3rd day she will take a silver side. I put in a couple of fiddler crabs the other day and when I came home from work I could see a claw and part of a body shell. I just have to make sure they stay on the left side of the tube tank because she will not leave the corner the eggs are in. Here is a recent shot of her tank
http://www.geocities.com/checkerboard_wrasse/seacleartube.jpg

ReefDriven718
03/18/2006, 02:40 PM
Hats off very cool with the success you are having with your octopus

Chckrbrd Wrasse
03/18/2006, 05:53 PM
Thanks ReefDriven718, I am glad she has made it as long as she has so far. It would be great to see the eggs develop all the way.
I keep crossing my fingers on that.

JmLee
03/21/2006, 05:57 PM
ive read that shortly after reproducing comes death for most octopus.

Chckrbrd Wrasse
03/21/2006, 07:35 PM
Yes I have read the same. She has been eating some but only when I drop something right over her and the eggs. Her only concern is the development and survival of here eggs. She will eat enough to make sure she has the strength only for that purpose. At least according to the reading I have found on it.

Brock Fluharty
03/21/2006, 08:34 PM
If the eggs are fertile, sometimes they will live on for a month or so, only because the babies will keep her going. If they do hatch, and you raise them and they are for sale, i'm first in line!

Chckrbrd Wrasse
03/21/2006, 09:32 PM
lol, you got it Brock Fluharty you can be first in line.

mejiggery
03/24/2006, 02:23 PM
Real shame your not gonna have her for much longer :-(
Hopefully you will manage to raise a baby :-) that would be cool.
I'm sure you already know but make sure you seperate all the babys when they hatch they are canabolistic.
I also have a small octopus they are so cool :-)

Chckrbrd Wrasse
03/24/2006, 05:17 PM
Very cool mejiggery, yes it is and thanks.
I did know that but thanks for checking.
What kind do you have?

liquidfunk
03/27/2006, 08:09 PM
I lsot my bimac a few months back, still looking to get another something. If your eggs are fertile, put me on the waiting list :)

Brock Fluharty
03/27/2006, 09:17 PM
Yeah. I could take a baby. I would really love to try to raise a baby, if you wouldn't mind Chckrbrd Wrasse. If you think they would be ok in shipping.

Chckrbrd Wrasse
03/27/2006, 09:40 PM
We will have to keep waiting. The eggs do look like they are progressing though. There are not as many as before. But I never had seen just how many there are I would have to move one rock which would aggravate her pretty much. I know even shipping adults can be a trick yet they do it. Not really sure about babies. But I will keep you posted.

alancolinet
04/07/2006, 10:21 AM
So how have the eggs been?

Chckrbrd Wrasse
04/09/2006, 08:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7130655#post7130655 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alancolinet
So how have the eggs been?
:confused:
The mother has moved away from where the eggs were. I can only see a couple on the back wall now. She has been staying right on the front glass. I have a feeling she may be in the last leg of her life. I have plenty of live fiddlers in with her and placed a dozen ghost shrimp in yesterday which she did go after. Right now I think it would disturb her to much. If I would look where they were to find out what is up.

Chckrbrd Wrasse
04/09/2006, 03:05 PM
I moved my web site so updating a few photo locations
here are the eggs
http://drkgryphon.com/checkerboard_wrasse/Albums/Album4/Large/FloridaOctopuseggs.jpg

Chckrbrd Wrasse
04/12/2006, 08:46 PM
The official report is. The mother died on the 4-11-06. When I woke I found her on the bottom.
Because of the ammonia spike from her passing, most of her co inhabitants went with her. Some that survived were 3 chromis , a few crabs, some snails and the coral. I ended up removing the tank to give it a proper cleaning. I set up a 24 gallon nano for now with no future plans of another octopus tank. At least for a little while until more research is done for a better environment. The tube tank was awesome but with it built in. I found it very hard to properly clean. One of my last photos of her getting ready to eat a piece of freeze dried krill. http://drkgryphon.com/checkerboard_wrasse/Albums/Album4/Large/macrofeeding.jpg
Her color was not looking good at this point.

liquidfunk
04/12/2006, 10:59 PM
sorry to hear.....

It sure sucks to find your "kid" dead in the morning. I wish you the best, I was just there 4-5 months ago, hopefully things will turn around and you'll be ready again.

Keep in mind this is the normal cycle for a female, it was her time. Nothing could have been done to prolong her life.

Chckrbrd Wrasse
04/13/2006, 08:15 AM
Thanks liquidfunk
Yep I knew it was the end of her life cycle as soon as I saw the eggs. But while I had her I noticed a few design flaws. The tank was awesome but really needed filtration on both sides. It would cycle through the tubes just not enough to keep up. If I had a place out in the open I think I could of done more. But limited to space here in my condo. That may even be a good thing. If I had room I would have speciman tanks all over. As much enjoyment as I had with her. I know in time there will be another. Thanks again.