PDA

View Full Version : t5 electronic ballasts which one?

robthorn
03/13/2006, 12:52 PM
what are some of the good electronic t5 ballasts out there? does anyone know which ballast the giesemann setups are running? or where to get them? I am currently running ice caps and the bulbs are about 5 months old and I am starting to see acolor shift in the acro's. I also use ice cap reflectors . I am probably going to run 4 ft bulbs either 8 or 10 on the new tank being setup by the end of this month. just want to change ballasts so the bulbs will last longer. I would rather add a couple more bulbs that will last longer which was the whole point for me to use t5's in the first place but 6 month changes aren't going to cut it. the bulbs are ati/giesemann not cheapo's. 2 actinic 1 blue and 3 11k . all of these are 5 ft on a 6 ft long tank and I am switching to a 7 ft tank in about 1 month and will probably stagger and overlap 4 ft bulbs instead of running 5 ft bulbs. I know the hows and why's of the whole t5 ice cap thing and exactly how it overdrives them I do not want to do this anymore.
thanks for any suggestions everyone,
robert

h20cooled
03/13/2006, 01:54 PM
Icecap are supposed to some of the best ballasts out there.

robthorn
03/13/2006, 01:58 PM
there customer service is awesome also but the ballast just doesn't do what I want it to. which is burn the bulbs the way they were designed....

fish1219
03/13/2006, 02:01 PM
ICECAP is also offering some lower cost ballast for running just T5s. It does not overdrive the bulb. They sent me one to tryout. Its made by DYnamic. I understand you can purchase these from reefgeek.com. The ballast I have runs 2-54Watt T5HO bulbs. I am currently running 2-11k bulbs.

nikonosis
03/13/2006, 06:14 PM
why not use this
http://www.ballastwise.com/item.asp?PID=23&FID=15&level=1
or this
http://www.ballastwise.com/item.asp?PID=24&FID=15&level=1

nikonosis
03/13/2006, 06:15 PM
here is all of their t5 ballasts

http://www.ballastwise.com/category.asp?FID=15&level=1

robthorn
03/14/2006, 02:52 PM
I am liking ballastwise are you using anything from them? I do not see anything but triads and workhorse on reefgeek unless he has failed to update his site.

nikonosis
03/14/2006, 04:44 PM
i am thinking about using them for the t5s on my 180g and maybe a 70w mh ballast for our 24g nano

Horace
03/14/2006, 05:06 PM
you can run both the workhorse or triad ballasts as well. The triad is the better out of the two. It uses less power, puts out more PAR and soft starts your bulbs which will make them last longer. You can get the Triads at www.innovativelights.com

nikonosis
03/14/2006, 05:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6954182#post6954182 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Horace
you can run both the workhorse or triad ballasts as well. The triad is the better out of the two. It uses less power, puts out more PAR and soft starts your bulbs which will make them last longer. You can get the Triads at www.innovativelights.com

why buy those? they are so expensive compared to the ballasts on ballast wise.

Horace
03/14/2006, 06:17 PM
Well frankly I have never heard of ballastwise so I have no idea how good they really are. I know Triads are good because they are the same ballast that is in the Tek fixtures. Ive never once heard anyone use these before. They are cheap though...I would probably give them a try myself though.

Do they sell one that will overdrive??? Is the Icecap the only one that will overdrive?

Horace
03/14/2006, 10:28 PM
???

horkn
03/14/2006, 11:11 PM
you can overdrive with workhorse ballasts
i dont know how safe it is though

with all this talk about icecap ballasts killing t5ho bulbs prematurely, i wouldnt overdrive them at all, but merely alter my bulb selection for what is in the tank.

advance ballasts are good and cheap as well.

you can get workhorse or advance through www.aqualuxlighting.com

horkn
03/14/2006, 11:22 PM
those ballasts from ballastwise are darn cheap. i may run some just because of that.

Nyles
03/14/2006, 11:38 PM
The workhorse series ballast will run most any t5ho (I am planning a run of 8 x 80 watt t5's with 4 workhorse 7's) Enclosed in a hanging light fixture 72" long x aprox 14" wide for optimal spread, with fans. These Ballasts are Instant start. DIY puts me at $410-

That includes bulb mounting clips, and plugs, ballast, and bulbs (Giesemann 3-blue plus and Giesemann 5-aquablue special)

This is not including mirrored s/s reflectors and hanging encloser with plexy cover, I am going to have an encloser laser cut galvagnized and paint white and have ballasts wired behind tank.
This also does not include 2 fans probably run about $30 or so.
I'm thinking I will be in it $600...

Any reason anyone may think this ballast may give be premature bulb Lumens loss? Let me know please. I ts really hard to pick one with the limited us sources for t5ho right now. but it lets me run 2 blues at night and other 6 during midday. Should work out ok. Any suggestions?

horkn
03/14/2006, 11:49 PM
the workhorse is a great t5ho ballast. in aquarium use you will not see reduced output froma w ballast.

however, not using good reflectors is not a wise decision. aqualus, tek, and icecap reflectors are the tops in the t5ho biz for reflectors.

dattack
03/14/2006, 11:51 PM
Who here is running the ballastwise anyways? Seems to good to be true in term of how cheap it is.

robthorn
03/15/2006, 08:21 AM
I'm not sold on sunlight supply products because to me they don't seem as good as they should be and way over priced compared to better products out there. at least that is my opinion I could be totally wrong here. I do like the high power factor on the ballastwise ballasts that are .99 instead of .90 on the workhorse ballasts.
overdriving workhorse ballasts? how is this possible? I don't think they jack up the voltage or frequency over what the bulbs are designed to run. are you running only 1 or 2 bulbs on a 3 or 4 bulb ballast? not going to do it just curious about claims and how it's done.

crash519
03/15/2006, 08:42 AM
Take into consideration the fact that anything relating to the aquarium or horticulture trade is going to have a huge markup. Reefgeek, aqualux, innovative, etc. all mark the products up. Probably because it's marked up before it gets to them. The ballastwise site is set up more for the commercial "highbay" type of light fixtures. The ballast is probably the same as the Triad (Advance). probably made by the same people. I believe the case is the exact same dimension and the wiring is the same. I'm buying three ballast from them and the Icecap SLR reflectors, endcaps and standoffs from reefgeek.

Horace
03/15/2006, 09:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6958776#post6958776 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crash519
Take into consideration the fact that anything relating to the aquarium or horticulture trade is going to have a huge markup. Reefgeek, aqualux, innovative, etc. all mark the products up. Probably because it's marked up before it gets to them. The ballastwise site is set up more for the commercial "highbay" type of light fixtures. The ballast is probably the same as the Triad (Advance). probably made by the same people. I believe the case is the exact same dimension and the wiring is the same. I'm buying three ballast from them and the Icecap SLR reflectors, endcaps and standoffs from reefgeek.

I would agree....I would probably do the same thing if given the opportunity. Those ballasts are cheap indeed.

Nyles
03/15/2006, 10:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6957500#post6957500 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by horkn
the workhorse is a great t5ho ballast. in aquarium use you will not see reduced output froma w ballast.

however, not using good reflectors is not a wise decision. aqualus, tek, and icecap reflectors are the tops in the t5ho biz for reflectors.

Thanks I will use that ballast, as far as reflector, I'm 100% sure what I am going to have manufactured is as good or better. I'm thinking a "W" shaped 100% mirrored s/s #8 finish with Duratek coating so I can scrub the life out of it and it wont scratch even the slightest.

Im submitting plans to my layout guys in portland in the next week hopefully.

Nyles
03/15/2006, 10:10 AM
I'm in a Industrial park and the neighbor is a commercial light distibutor, I am going to see if he sells the wh7, I know he can get everything else that I'm not manufacturing.

ok Im done, didnt mean to hijack the thread, back to topic. Thanks for help.

guntercb
03/15/2006, 11:38 AM
Rob,

Wow, 5 months and your acros are changing color. That is amazing. That kind of makes bulb replacement expensive. Can you post back here with the ballast you eventually use?

Thanks,
Chris

CaptainDave
03/15/2006, 11:47 AM
hey, if any of you guys get the ballasts from ballastwise, can you give us a report on your thoughts on them? I'm running my T5s on an IceCap 660 right now, and if the bulb life really is that short, I will want to replace the ballast.

horkn
03/15/2006, 12:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6959322#post6959322 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nyles
Thanks I will use that ballast, as far as reflector, I'm 100% sure what I am going to have manufactured is as good or better. I'm thinking a "W" shaped 100% mirrored s/s #8 finish with Duratek coating so I can scrub the life out of it and it wont scratch even the slightest.

Im submitting plans to my layout guys in portland in the next week hopefully.

i have my 3x39w t5ho run by one workhorse5 ballast. 15 months strong, not one issue, nor any sign of " hard start bulb abuse" like i was told would happen if i used a w ballast.

which of these ballastwise ballasts are you guys running?

crash519
03/15/2006, 12:29 PM
I just ordered three of the 2x54w programmed start ballast. I'll post my thoughts on them when they arrive and I get them up and running.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6960086#post6960086 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CaptainDave
hey, if any of you guys get the ballasts from ballastwise, can you give us a report on your thoughts on them? I'm running my T5s on an IceCap 660 right now, and if the bulb life really is that short, I will want to replace the ballast.

WanaLeime
03/17/2006, 08:09 PM
IceCaps....Workhorse

robthorn
03/24/2006, 02:53 PM
did anyone get the ballastwise ballasts and hook them up yet? if so what do you think?

drouner
03/24/2006, 06:06 PM
My dad gave me two ballast from AH Supply PC kit he bought for his tank before he took it down. I has a AH Supply sticker on it but is states "Solid State - Electronic Fluorescent Ballast" "For CFS/4P lamp combinations of 110 Max Watts....". I tried pealing off the sticker but there is nothing under them for further explaination.

I am thinking about replacing my 2 55 watt PCs with T5's. So do you guys think these ballast will run T5's lamps or even VHO's?

slinger
04/04/2006, 01:41 PM
I have the 96 watt PC kit from A H supply, and I'd bet big money that we have the same ballast, which is a Fulham workhorse 5. A H Supply just puts that big sticker over the top to make it seem like it's their ballast.

drew22to375
04/04/2006, 07:32 PM
I have a couple of the AH supply kits. Mine do not have their sticker on them. The 1 X 55w is a workhorse 3 and the 2 X55w is a workhorse 5.

Drew..

crash519
04/05/2006, 07:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7032635#post7032635 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by robthorn
did anyone get the ballastwise ballasts and hook them up yet? if so what do you think?

I recieved my three 2-54 w ballast from ballastwise and from what I've seen, they are the same as the Triads. My tank isn't up and running yet, but the light rack was finished last night. I don't have anything to compare it to so I would say the ballast are fine. I ran them for about an hour last night and the ballast weren't even warm to the touch.

I'm used to halides so they don't "seem" as bright as my 250 w XM 10k, but I wasn't looking directly into the reflectors either. I was also running them over just freshwater for the leak test. on the tank Having sonething in the tank (rock sand, etc.) makes a difference as well. I do know when I had the fixture upside down and turned it on, I was almost blinded when the bulbs fired in the Icecap reflectors :eek1: I couldn't see for a few seconds :p

dc_909
04/05/2006, 08:41 AM
Just tagging along for the info.

nikonosis
04/05/2006, 02:01 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7115054#post7115054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crash519
I recieved my three 2-54 w ballast from ballastwise and from what I've seen, they are the same as the Triads. My tank isn't up and running yet, but the light rack was finished last night. I don't have anything to compare it to so I would say the ballast are fine. I ran them for about an hour last night and the ballast weren't even warm to the touch.

I'm used to halides so they don't "seem" as bright as my 250 w XM 10k, but I wasn't looking directly into the reflectors either. I was also running them over just freshwater for the leak test. on the tank Having sonething in the tank (rock sand, etc.) makes a difference as well. I do know when I had the fixture upside down and turned it on, I was almost blinded when the bulbs fired in the Icecap reflectors :eek1: I couldn't see for a few seconds :p

sounds like they are good ballasts at a fraction of the cost of the rip off fish stores.

dc_909
04/27/2006, 10:38 AM
bump

Nyles
04/27/2006, 11:08 AM
Regardless of ballast or light you should always call or look up the spec for the LOAD on the ballast for the lights you are using. I only use workhorse and I just give them a call and right over the phone they will gove me my load %. I have used then commercially for years and now am using them on my tank as well.

For instance I run 4 workhorse 7 ballast's with 2-60" t-5 80 watt bulbs on each ballast at 160 watts the wh7 ballast runs 101% efficient. This is perfect and will give proper light output and will not overload either the ballast or the bulb, causing short lifespans of either or both products.

Nyles-

robthorn
04/27/2006, 12:54 PM
nyles the only problem with using workhorse on t5's is they are not program rapid start as far as I know. if I am wrong please tell me. seems from what I read that they surge the bulb right away. the t5 as far as I have read needs to be warmed then fired which the program start is supposed to do. I went with advance centium ballasts for 8 4 ft bulbs on my 265. 4 actinics and 4 11k k . it looks awesome to me and sps seem to be doing well and growing. the colors are really coming around from the ice cap premature burn out of my other bulbs. I do agree the workhorse is a great ballast I am trying to extend bulb life as much as possible on the t5's .

Nyles
04/27/2006, 01:11 PM
http://www.advancetransformer.com/uploads/resources/IS_vs_RS.pdf

Nyles
04/27/2006, 01:15 PM
if your lights are on and off all day the rapid is better. If your off on on just a few times you are better off energy wise to go with instand on. the rapids are more for the guys running motion lighting. We replace our lights in a reef about once a year on the t-5 bulbs I use, thus not needing rapid start. You may get a slight more life out of the bulb but once a day instant on is not going to hurt the bulb.

dc_909
04/27/2006, 01:19 PM
Nyles,

What do you know about the ballastwise T5 setup?

Would they be a good choice?

Nyles
04/27/2006, 01:29 PM
They are very similar to the workhorse, both being priced about the same and being electronic....

I was moved to the workhorse due to the fact the ballastwise would not push my 60" long bulbs.

I think in total with shipping I paid $350 for all my 8 lights, 4 ballasts, plugs and cord. I made my own assembly and parobolic reflectors.

dc_909
04/27/2006, 01:46 PM
Where did you get them from? and How did you make your own reflectors?

Nyles
04/27/2006, 02:58 PM
I ordered my lighting from reefgeek.com they have free shipping with orders over a certain (?) amount.

I have pretty good ties to a few stainless and aluminum manufactures. I just sent them a blueprint of what I wanted and they next day aired me the parts. You can do something similar there is a supplier on ebay as well. He just didnt have the length I needed plus free is always better. Another option is go to a local fabrication plant and send him what you want for materials, this is probably the cheapest way. I can send you my plans PDF if you like. You can just chicken scratch your own dimensions on the length. Simply plug your new light into the new sockets and measure how big you want your reflector. I can provide you a pm link of the site I posted my DIY on. It really was pretty darn simple.

dc_909
04/27/2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah that would be perfect.

Thanks