PDA

View Full Version : power outtage

padixon2
03/15/2006, 11:32 AM
So once again....housing maintenence is doing something to our power boxes. tomorrow, they are turning off my power from 9am-3pm. my hubby swears up n down i dont need to run out and get a battery operated air pump....bettas dont need an airstone,...goldfish live in a bowl there whole lives...

so do i need one? or am i paranoid?

i have 7 fish and plenty of lps, zoas, and mushrooms...so i guess pretty lightly stocked...

dugg
03/15/2006, 11:48 AM
I would get a battery air pump if it were me. 6 hours is a long time with no circulation. The lack of circulation and light will cause a big drop in PH. Fresh water fish are fine with a low PH, but saltwater is another story. The battery air pumps only cost like $10 at a bait shop, or 15 to 20 at a pet store. Worth every penny IMO.

luvabunny
03/15/2006, 01:09 PM
If they have it back up by 3 you should be fine. Softies don't need the light, your fish will be fine. The problem comes if they take it longer than the 6 hours.
If you can, every half hour or so, take a few scoops of water out, hold it up high, and pour it back in the tank, creating as many bubbles and current as you can. It just takes a minute or two and will ensure safety.
Our lights go out for several hours at a time quite regularly. Never had any problems for that length of time so far - BUT - a battery powered air pump is always a good thing to have on hand.....

pwhitby
03/15/2006, 01:34 PM
in my tank, 3 hrs was all it took for things to die.

captbunzo
03/15/2006, 02:27 PM
Sounds like, to me, a good excuse to buy at least one battery operated air pumps. :)

Travis L. Stevens
03/15/2006, 02:37 PM
I would get one anyways. Storm season is upon us. You never know when the power will go out for an undetermined amount of time.

Tell your husband that Bettas are Labrynth fish that breath air and goldfish are just dumb :p Just Kidding.

LotR Clown
03/15/2006, 02:46 PM
I cleaned out walmart's fishing area of the battery operated pumps last time I had a power outage. They are cheap but loud. Look in the fishing equipment area. They worked fine and I have a high load. Normally used to keep bait alive.

Kevin

2ras
03/15/2006, 06:24 PM
One could purchase a UPS, & just add enough load to circulate the water in the tank, when the power goes out.
I've got a APC 1500 & it seems to work okay. I only have 2 pumps on it (they draw <30 watts total) for a run time of ~2 hrs.

I also went out & bought a backup generator for the tank, just in case power goes out longer than 2 hrs. It has enough juice left over for a TV & light for me.

Ray

dugg
03/15/2006, 07:38 PM
They also make a battery air pump that you plug into the wall, and if the power cuts off, they come on automaticly. They go back off as soon as the power comes back on. If you had a tank like Paul's, you could just use a car battery and a trolling motor lol.

LotR Clown
03/16/2006, 09:45 PM
Yep Ray,
A generator would be the way to go. I hope to get one in the future.

Kevin

pwhitby
03/16/2006, 10:08 PM
I have used mine a couple of times....once for a six hour stretch.

At that point the money it cost and the fact it had sat unused for 2 years melted away. If you have a large tank...its a must have.

I also have an inverter, which runs from the car cigarette lighter. That can be plugged in in a few seconds and will happily power a couple of pumps.

They are about $40-60

P.