PDA

View Full Version : want a snowflake eel but hesitant - afriad of him getting into the overflow box - 90G

3bavboys
03/15/2006, 11:55 AM
with proclear wet/dry and protein skimmer

ChunksInClemson
03/15/2006, 12:24 PM
Maybe I misunderstand the question, but Eels stay on the bottom.

Jeremy Blaze
03/15/2006, 12:56 PM
Well, I don't know about eels staying on the bottom, i often see them cruizing all levels.

It is very common for newly introduced eels, to swim around the top of the tank, sticking its head out of the water.

Eels are mater escape artists are will find the smallest hole to get out.

It is very common for them to nd up on the floor, in an overflow, or in the sump.

You may be able to keep one, but i would rig up some sort of screen that would prevent them from getting into the overflow box.

A tight fitting lid is a must, may even need to be weighted down, depending on the size of the eel.

ChunksInClemson
03/15/2006, 01:37 PM
Just going by what I have and haven't seen. I've never seen one at the top.

Jeremy Blaze
03/15/2006, 01:39 PM
Wow, you need to go to the lfs when they get the new fish in. I'm sure you will see one at the top then.

ChunksInClemson
03/15/2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah i guess. I dont like em anyways so I dont have to worry about it.

jawaiianmon
03/15/2006, 03:27 PM
yeah they are escape artists.

kraze3
03/15/2006, 03:42 PM
Mine has been in my tank almost 8 months and I still see him swimming along the top of the water. Doesnt do it for long but he'll take a few laps lookin for some food.

Screen should work fine, even the babies are like 6 inches and they arent thin.

Besides the weighted lid id inspect your rock work if you have LR. They look for small openings to squeeze thru and you may have a problem with it toppling your rockwork when it gets a little bit bigger. Mine tries to borrow under everything.

coralfever
03/15/2006, 05:14 PM
I agree, the are definately escape artists, and also tend to burrow under everything. Make sure rock work is either epoxied together on mounted on a PVC/Acrylic frame work. I have a snowflake who is now about 18 inches and has deffinately outgrown my 55g, and uses up evey inch of the tank top to bottom when he is hungry. I was looking to get rid of it but haven't found a good home. Anyone interested? In the CT area.