PDA

View Full Version : External inline pump opinions?

dugg
03/15/2006, 11:58 AM
With the return of summer, i once again am having heat issues. I am going to bite the bullit, and get an external inline pump. I need to have 600 to 650 gph flow rate at 4ft head pressure. I have been looking at the little giant 3-MDQ-SC. I have also looked at the Iwaki pumps. The have american models, and japanese models. Is there a difference in them? I have never used an external pump before, so any input from people that have used them would be very helpfull. Brands Models, do's don'ts?

captbunzo
03/15/2006, 02:29 PM
I have had these eheim pumps (http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_pumps_eheim_universal_hobby_powerheads.asp?CartId=) recommeded to me as great low cost external pumps.

_Sooner_2
03/15/2006, 08:32 PM
Dugg,

I have a Japanese motor Iwaki. My understanding is that the Japanese motors are quieter. I do KNOW that they are more expensive. Mine is silent while running the closed loop. But, considering the cost, I would sure ask for feedback on the Little Giants and USA made Iwakis.

Ronnie

dugg
03/15/2006, 09:02 PM
I may not be needing one after all lol. I just screwed up big. My PH has been real low for a few days, i thought dew to the heat issue. I turned up my lime drip to raise the PH. It is now snowing in Florida. My tank has gone from crystal clear to milk in the last hour. I have carbon on the way, but it don't look good. It's getting worse by the minute. Never had this before so i have no idea what to do other then turn off the lime drip and get carbon in.

Schmit
03/16/2006, 07:52 AM
Dugg,

I'm in the process of plumbing my tank. I picked up a Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC from Wayne. Tuesday I went to Lowes (with my son & grandson) and spent 1.5 Hours trying to figure out what PVC Pieces I needed to make my pipeing work. The guy helping me probably when home after work and got drunk. :D I got everything but two couplers and had to go back yesterday. The same guy was there when I walked up and started looking. When I turned around he was LONG GONE. :confused:

Snprhed
03/16/2006, 08:40 AM
Dugg, this is just a thought, since you live in Florida it might be a wise investment to get a chiller. I have seen several of them available on the forsale sight here.

As for the cloudiness I'd do a large water change. It should clear up your calcium blizzard. After the water change I'd do a good work up of your Calcium Alkilinity and Magnesium

Cory

dugg
03/16/2006, 09:05 AM
Wow schmit you must really be rich lol. Wayne has the highest price on the planet on those pumps. Over $100 higher than anywhere you could have bought one from. I am quite ****** at him right now. My heat problem is due to a pump he sold me a month ago going bad. He just chuckled like it's funny or something, then priced me the little giant pump at $215 that can be bought just about anywhere for under $120. He won't be spending anymore of my money in the future. I am taking my bussiness down the road.

Schmit
03/17/2006, 06:46 AM
No not rich but just sticking with one Retailer as he has been a lot of help to me just getting into this hobby. I call/e-mail him at all hours and always get a reply. That means a lot to me. Also, I'm keeping all my receipts and am tring to figure out a way to use them as a tax write off (possibly saying it is a school thing cause my youngest wants to be a Marine Bioligist or something. :rolleye1: )

dugg
03/17/2006, 09:06 AM
Yeah, i am usually pretty loyal to one LFS, but not when they don't stand behind what they sell and basicly steal from me by charging double retail price. I spend enough money there that i feel there is no need to steal from me. Good luck with your tax right off lol. Judging by the age of your daughter, i think those reciepts are going to be a little bit out of date by the time you could use them, maybe 15 years or so lol. I will be using petland in leesburg from here on.