PDA

View Full Version : gorgonian air exposure?

alans22
03/15/2006, 12:36 PM
i have recently become addicted to gorgonians. i have always kept most corals under the 5 gallon line in my tank so that when i do water changes nothing is exposed to air. Now i am running out of space for corals and my new photo-gorgonian would be a couple of inches out of water when i change it. Is this alright? I have researched them and cannot really find info about whether they stand up to air well. In Sprungs book i know he reccomends semi-moist shipping them, so i think it should be fine . Please help me out.

alex93se
03/15/2006, 01:06 PM
From everything I've heard, you should never expose gorgonians to air. Why not fill a bottle or 2 of water and then drop them into the tank when you're doing water changes to account for the loss displacement of the water change?

Blown 346
03/15/2006, 01:48 PM
I have hadmine exposed to air while moving them form a bag intot my tank and they have been fine, but it all depends on the Gorgonian.

alans22
03/15/2006, 02:02 PM
hmmm.... that displacement idea is really good...its always the the simple answers that work the best. the species in question is a plexaura fexuosa, or sea rod, or candelabrum, i believe.