PDA

View Full Version : Xenia is taking over!!!!

Mickey
03/15/2006, 02:44 PM
Well, I allowed a small piece of Xenia into my display some months ago, and it is now spread over a 6" x 6" area, pulsing like crazy and continuing to spread. It is now growing on the tube of my red Coco Worm so you can't even see the worm.

I also have a nano tank with nothing in it except some live rock, lots of bubble algae, and pulsing Xenia. In trying to get rid of the bubble algae I even ran one of the rocks it's on under the tap while scrubbing the Valonia and the Xenia came back.

Anyone want any?

Can I just grab it with big tweezers and pull it off the rock in my display?

Any ideas on how to stop the spread? It looks real nice but I'd prefer it not spread any more.

Mickey

cerolost
03/15/2006, 03:19 PM
I'll take some xenia. I'm in Prospect probably just up a road from ya. If you want I have some mushrooms, anthelia, and other corals if you want a frag. PM me with times and location.

JackRent
03/15/2006, 03:24 PM
Frag it and trade it or sell it !!! My xenia grows like mad and now I think half the reefers in Maine have some.

Whaledriver
03/15/2006, 03:25 PM
Just cut off the stalks that are in the way. The base thats left behind will either dye off or start buding again. Some people do use it for nutriant export like the plants in a refuge.
I like to use it as a indicator of the tank health and chemistry.

amcarrig
03/15/2006, 05:06 PM
Hi Mickey. The only way that I know of to control the stuff is to surround the xenia with corals that have a strong enough sting to discourage it from spreading. A galaxea or torch coral could do the trick but I don't know how much room you've got in the tank.

N-A-S-O
03/15/2006, 05:59 PM
club raffle donations.... :beer:

Herpn
03/15/2006, 06:04 PM
If you are going to the meeting I will take a clipping of it. I could give you a devils hand frag.

wenright
03/15/2006, 06:48 PM
Nutrient export...great idea!

HartfordWhalers
03/15/2006, 07:51 PM
I would take some if you wanna gimme some. I got some mushroom thats starting to grow. Ill PM you!

km133688
03/15/2006, 08:31 PM
I used to have lots of it. It grew for about a year in my tank, best piece I had, the pulsing is messmerizing. But about 18 months into my tank I started getting good (or bad) at keeping the water chemistry and the stuff died out on me. But it was a great trader and money maker for me during the time.

I'd say trade it, give it away, put it in the raffle at the mettings, maybe even ask a LFS if they'd give you some credit for it. I got a good deal from F&F at the time. I can't speak for them but you might get as much as wholesale for it. You can expect maybe 2$ to 4$ for each cutting. The idea being to grow out multi-head pieces on little peables. I know this don't sound like a lot but when the stuff is speading all over your tank you'd be surprised how many two head cuttings you can grow out in a month. In a year's time you can easily do a 200$ to 400$ credit with a store.

Or... did anyone mention you could just put it in the club raffle?

congrats, Kevin

cato
03/15/2006, 09:48 PM
PM you

kroe
03/15/2006, 09:50 PM
Put the rock up as high as you can - xenia likes to grow up, but not so much down. If you really want it gone...

If you can remove the rock do so - scrape under the xenia and try to peel it off the rock. If you just pull the stalk it will rip. After you are done put some kalk paste on a toothbrush and rub the spot just to make sure it's gone (resilient stuff).

If you can't remove the rock, try pulling stalks out with tweezers, grab as low as you can and yank it off. Once you have pulled out as much as you can a syringe with kalk paste and a toothbrush are next. Watch your PH closely when you do this (not sure I would try it without a PH monitor).

NoSchwag
03/15/2006, 09:52 PM
What kind of xenia is it?

ShiftNation
03/15/2006, 11:53 PM
Ill have like 10 nice stalks for raffle donations and , if anyone wants some pm me . Its pulsing elongotta .