PDA

View Full Version : sea horses

Serra
03/15/2006, 05:46 PM
April-
Is it mysis shrimp, and what brand you feed your horses?

Sheryl

djc1026
03/15/2006, 06:25 PM
I know I'm not April but it is Mysis shrimp. There are several brands, not all of which are available down here in Lawton all of the time. When I can get it down here, I get Hikari for what it's worth.

Dave

jcatblum
03/15/2006, 06:42 PM
yep, Hikari is already enriched..... much better for your SH's

Serra
03/15/2006, 08:46 PM
Who carries Hikari?
Thanks-Sheryl

luvabunny
03/15/2006, 09:33 PM
Sheryl,
I feed a mixture of frozen Hikari mysis, frozen Hikari spirulina enriched adult brine, PE (Piscene Energetics) frozen mysis, frozen krill and live ghost shrimp. Any one of those on any given day. I try not to give the same thing 2 days in a row. Not all of the horses will eat all of what is offered, but if they refuse to eat for a day, there is always something different coming tomorrow.

The frozen Hikari mysis, brine and krill I get in cubes from Petsmart and ART. The PE I get in a flatpack from Crystal Clear. The ghosts I give as a treat whenever I can find them small enough at any of the LFS, Wal-Mart or Petsmart.

The Hikari mysis is much smaller, the PE is medium sized, and the krill is a little larger. I prefer the size of the PE, but it is pretty oily and I worry about polluting the tank. It is also a freshwater mysis, so I don't know about the nutritional value. Lots of people have used it for lots of years, so it can't be all bad. I absolutely detest the Sally brand. It's mostly pieces and stems if you know what I mean. Hardly any full shrimp in it.

Have you already gotten your horses? If not, what are you thinking of getting. Are they CB? If you already have them, and they aren't eating frozen, you will have to find something live they will eat quickly. Reef Shop, Aquariums and Crystal Clear sell live brine shrimp. It will do in a pinch. Nearly all Wal-Marts and Petsmarts have live ghost shrimp, if you can find them small enough.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm always willing to help.

Serra
03/16/2006, 06:49 AM
Thanks for all the info everyone. No, I haven't gotten the horses yet but I also like to vary food for my fish. The shrimp you fed looked good so I wanted to know what brand.

Still have to empty out my tank that will be their home and convert to salt. My dog just had surgery that used up my light/rock money. You know how that goes.

I am researching which species I would like. Any suggestions there? I will be getting CB.

Sheryl

Snprhed
03/16/2006, 08:56 AM
April, I am starting my horse tank also. I am curious as to your other tank inhabitants. Also I recently visited Exotic Aquatics in Norman. They had some nice looking ORA Reidi's, however I am interested in keeping H. Kuda, possibly Erectus. I am aware of the sites that seahorse.org suggests, I was wondering your opinion of local sources. Even local breeders. Thanks for the info

Cheers
Cory

luvabunny
03/16/2006, 09:16 AM
Easiest to find are reidi and erectus. I would pick one and not mix the 2 species tho, because erectus are known for carrying pathogens (yes, even the CB ones) that don't mix well with other horses, especially reidi.
I was unaware EA was carrying seahorses, so that's news to me. ORA has some good press, so I wouldn't be afraid of them. Recently I have seen seahorses at Reef Shop (supposedly CB but don't know what species), Crystal Clear (very nice set up, and I really like and trust Janielle, but she has begun mixing her CB and WC horses, bad idea), and Pet Vet (Supposedly CB but also don't know what species).
Sometimes Aquariums carries horses, that's where I purchased my very first ones. Also, Petopia in Shawnee has some, I haven't seen them and know nothing about them.

Whatever you decide to get, it really is best to get as many as you want of 1 species from 1 place all at the same time. Mixing species, and mixing different places you receive them from usually leads to trouble. Also, only go with CB. Make the LFS feed them whatever you're going to feed them to be sure they are eating. (Live brine is what LFS normally feed, if you're going to feed frozen, make them feed frozen and watch which horses actively go after it) If the LFS won't feed them for you the way you want, leave the horses there.
Locally, I don't know of anyone actively raising who would have any for sale. There are several with a few babies, none that I know of ready to go yet. I even have a couple at 10 weeks old, but they are no where near ready to sell. There are quite a few outlets for CB horses now, as long as you see the horses eat and trust where you purchase from, you should be OK.

Sheryl, the mysis you saw me feed was the PE brand.
Cory, as far as other tankmates, there are 2 alligator pipefish, and various hermits and snails. I removed the blenny when he began picking on the horses.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need any advice on setting up your tanks.

captbunzo
03/16/2006, 10:55 AM
You know what. I think that a seahorse/pipefish/etc tank is going to HAVE to be the next tank I setup. What do you think is reasonable with a 25G tank, April? And not to ask the same questions over and over, but what do you recommend for setup?

Filtration? Sump (or not)? Refugium? Skimmer? Flow?

And with a 25G tank, could one reasonably keep a pair of seahorses and about 3 banded pipefish? Maybe a pair of firefish?

The dimensions of this tank is about 24 long x 16 tall x 18 deep.

Snprhed
03/16/2006, 11:36 AM
It sounds like pipefish are rather difficult from what I read. Not really a good idea to mix with seahorses until you have more experience. I think its a feeding and disease issue.

Snprhed
03/16/2006, 11:37 AM
April, why did you go erectus over reidi?

Cory

captbunzo
03/16/2006, 11:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6968348#post6968348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snprhed
It sounds like pipefish are rather difficult from what I read. Not really a good idea to mix with seahorses until you have more experience. I think its a feeding and disease issue.

I couldn't disagree more. Partially it depends on the species of pipefish. But, moreso, I have heard that they are a perfect complement. Now the real question, methinks, is whether a 25G tank (as I described above) is really big enough for both the seahorse and pipefish. I think it would be fine, though.

And, thinking more, I think what I would like to do (eventually) is this.

Build some sort of horizontal over into the tank at the top back. Have that flow into a 10G sump (which I already have) with a small skimmer, refugium, and then very light flow back into the main tank - something like the Mag 7 I have now, or even a Mag 5.

I'd go with very light rockwork as to leave plenty of open space for plants, etc, for the seahorses to cling to. Through in some soft corals - keep it simple.

As for additional flow, one of 2 options.

1. A couple of maxijets around - don't really like this option.
1. A closed loop and manifold with a low flow pump - something like 250 GPH or so.

The point of the closed loop & manifold would be to create low, diffused flow around the tank, rather then flow beating down on things.

For lights, that's a toss up. Perhaps some simple PC fixture. T5 HO would be even better. In fact, here (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Finnex-T5) at Premium Aquatics, you can get some 23" T5 lights for either $100 (2 bulbs) or $162 (4 bulbs).

Travis L. Stevens
03/16/2006, 11:58 AM
Paul, for a seahorse and/or pipefish tank, even a Mag 5 return only might be too much flow for them. You definitely wouldn't need supplemental flow. I would recommend something smaller for a return or split the Mag 5 up to several outlets. The good news is with a smaller return pump, you can increase skimming because of it recirculating over and over before it gets back to the tank. And then you have a lower flow refugium.

captbunzo
03/16/2006, 12:02 PM
Here's an idea. Do an odd trick with a sump return manifold, rather then a closed loop manifold.

If you did a manifold on top that had 4-6 nozzles, I wonder what sort of a pump would be ok. I suspect at that point, at least a Mag 5 would be fine, maybe even a Mag 7. I'd suspect that the real problem with seahorse and flow is LAMINAR flow.

With 500 GPH from a Mag 7 (after loss due to head pressure) going through a 6 opening manifold, we're talking less then 100 GPH per output. With 1/2 outputs, that's going to more then fine, I think.

It's a fun idea. Hope I get to try it someday....

Snprhed
03/16/2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the dismissal (with the wave of your mighty hand)
Here is the link to Seahorse.org's pipefish and seahorse compatibility page. Certain ones do have feeding issues and the WC (which seems to be the most common) are not compatible with the seahorses (cb) because of disease issues. There are at least one variety that should be kept in numbers not lower than 3-4 also.

Cory

http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showforum=52

luvabunny
03/16/2006, 01:21 PM
Getting back to the questions, I didn't pick erectus over reidi. I actually own a TR reidi, with CB erectus, along with a trio of kuda and a pair of WC alligator pipes, all in the same 75 gallon tank.

Putting these horses together was only due to special circumstances, and I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner. Even with my years of experience, I have lost 2 WC reidi, a CB erectus and a TR reidi since doing so in Jan. I don't believe mixing the species was the cause of the loss directly, there were other mitigating circumstances, but the stress of mixing them could have helped to lend a hand.
There are nearly as many species of pipes as there are seahorses, and all of them require different situations, just like in seahorses. I don't believe keeping WC pipes (all you will be able to find) with CB horses should pose a risk, unless the horses have been kept in a completely sterile environment, which some breeders do. Bruce from seahorse.org keeps his in bare bottom tanks with daily water changes. They are never around LR, LS, other fish or even bristleworms, hermits or snails. In that case, I would decline keeping any other fish with them. If you were ordering from Bruce, I would suggest buying as many horses as you wanted and planning on keeping them in their own tank, alone, forever.
In a 25 gal tank, you could keep a pair of erectus, possibly 3 and thats about it, especially if you had lots of LR. A fuge or sump would probably help, but would probably only allow you to do 1, maybe 2 more horses. I don't think a 25 gal tank would be big enough for any but the dwarf pipes. My alligators are approx 14" long. Having dwarf pipes would mean having to hatch BBS daily, and pipes are well known for eating seahorse babies, so if you wanted to breed horses, you would have to watch for delivery signs very closely.
As far as I'm concerned, a sump and fuge aren't needed in a seahorse tank. I've had horses in 25, 44, 55 and 75 gallon tanks, all without and never had any problems. To go into more detail about sumps, etc, you guys are going to have to count me out. I don't know the first thing about them.
Ask me about anything else to do with seahorses tho. I'll be glad to answer. Hardware is the hubby's thing.

captbunzo
03/16/2006, 01:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6968847#post6968847 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Snprhed
Thanks for the dismissal (with the wave of your mighty hand)

Ok now, no reason to be snippy. There was no waving of any mighty hands. I simply believe the statement you made about pipefish isn't correct. I also believe that it is part of a myth that seahorses and pipefish are difficult. I think they are, rather, specific - you have to build and stock the environment with them in mind.

Again, please remain curteous.

captbunzo
03/16/2006, 02:09 PM
Btw, April, thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic!

luvabunny
03/16/2006, 02:24 PM
Actually, if you don't know what you're getting into, seahorses and especially pipefish can be difficult. It does make keeping them much easier if you prepare their tank, realize their feeding needs and find out the differences in species BEFORE purchasing them, but I would never class them with the same keeping ease as damsels.

captbunzo
03/16/2006, 02:44 PM
Ok. I'll give you that. But how about the same as any other specialized area of the hobby, even such as keeping SPS corals?

Snprhed
03/16/2006, 03:04 PM
I think your prior observation was right on. Specific.

Cory

luvabunny
03/16/2006, 03:18 PM
I can't compare to SPS corals, because I've never kept them, but to compare with some things I have specifically kept, i.e. agressive fish (puffers, filefish, triggers and lions) and octopus, and regular reef tanks, they are much more difficult, require more constant observation, and have far different nutritional needs with their own specific problems.

The biggest problem is getting pipefish and seahorses to eat. Just because you offer it, no matter what it is, doesn't mean they are going to eat it. If they don't eat within 3 days, there is a very good liklihood that their digestive system will shut down, and they couldn't process food even if they did eat it.
Setting up their tank is usually in the normal params for most SW keepers, but so many things can make them stop eating, and nearly all are stress related. You, as a seahorse keeper, have approx 2 days to recognize this and correct the problem before it leads to your fishes death.

Snprhed
03/16/2006, 03:20 PM
A place called seahorse sanctuary has cb blue stripe pipe fish. Very nice looking.
Cory

Snprhed
03/16/2006, 03:22 PM
Disregard my last. Although it is correct, it is in Australia.

luvabunny
03/16/2006, 03:54 PM
Blue stripes are soo pretty. My alligators are the most gorgeous green. One of them is even daintily eating frozen mysis now. Both of them are pretty good with the frozen brine shrimp tho. Of course, there's no feeding frenzy like the one created when you add live brine.....Food for pipes, popcorn for seahorses. Sigh...

captbunzo
03/16/2006, 04:08 PM
Fishbase has some great pics of pipefish...

http://www.fishbase.org/images/species/Doexc_ua.jpg
Bluestripe Pipefish (Doryrhamphus excisus)

http://www.fishbase.org/images/species/Dodac_u7.jpg
Banded or Ringed Pipefish (Doryrhamphus dactyliophorus)

And then LiveAquaria.com has something known as a Dragonface Pipefish. These are beautiful.

http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20040910145432/www.liveaquaria.com/images/products/large/p_89287.jpg
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=282

Serra
03/16/2006, 06:24 PM
After years of experience with all kinds of fish, I think stress is the biggest creator of problems in a tank. (Whether water quality or tankmate problems.) One of the reasons I quarantine fish is to get them used to being around me and recognize me as the food provider. In other words, desensitize them to humans and learn that my presence means food.

If any causes of stress in a tank go on for days, you can develop problems. This is why you have to observe your tanks for any sign of problems or potential problems. By the time you casually notice something is wrong it usually is a big problem.

Your fish's (or invert's) behavior will tell you if something is wrong. Really looking at your tank is the best thing you can do for your pets.

I will run my decision for species by you all before I buy. Thanks.
Sheryl

exoticaquatics
03/16/2006, 07:33 PM
I have had great luck with the tank raised Reidi's. Some coming from ORA and some from somewhere else. Not sure where. But they were all eating frozen mysis the day they came in. Not just sitting there waiting for the food to come to them but actually going after it. And they are pretty active as well. Cruising around the tank quite a bit. I would recommend tank raised as well, and make sure they are eating. I have had good luck with the banded pipefish as well. Most of the ones I have had lately have been eating mysis. Just be sure anything is eating before you buy it.

Paul B
03/17/2006, 03:54 PM
I can't get a picture of this blue stripe for the life of me. The old real film camera's were so much easier for close ups.
Bluestripes require no care in an old tank. They feed themselves. I hatch live brine every other day but I really don't have to.
Paul
That fuzzy thing near the bottom is really a blue stripe.
Or a piece of lint,
:eek2:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Feb_10-3.JPG

luvabunny
03/17/2006, 05:22 PM
I wish my lint were that gorgeous. How long have you had it?

Paul B
03/17/2006, 05:59 PM
April, actually I have a pair of them. I only have them about two months.
Paul

Serra
03/18/2006, 03:22 PM
What is the difference between reidi and erectus? Which would be better to try and raise?

April- Does your horse tank have HOB filters? Do you have a protein skimmer on that tanks? What lights?

The tank I will set up is a 29 gal. 36x12x20. I would like to set it up to look like yours (on a smaller scale). I was very impressed with the look of your tank.

Sheryl

luvabunny
03/20/2006, 09:13 AM
To try to raise - definitely erectus. Prettiest in your tank - definitely reidi.
Yes, my tank has HOB filters, no protein skimmer, no sump, no fuge, and the biowheels are in the HOB. The lights are 1 - 4 ft double VHO (I think) and 1 - 3ft 50/50. I bought the 4 ft fixture with the tank. There are 2 smallish bulbs, but no markings of any kind on them. They're pretty bright, but I just have to guess at what they are until I replace them.
Thanks for the compliments on my tank. I have recently re-done parts of it, and I think it looks even better. More tonga branch rock, a little less caulerpa, so I can see the horses easier.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
BTW, which are the height and width measurements on your tank? If it's a 36" high, that would be awesome!

Serra
03/20/2006, 09:42 AM
36" is the length. That would be awesome... It's 20 high.