PDA

View Full Version : Help with plumbing the 120g

Opiy
03/16/2006, 05:49 AM
I posted this in the Reef Discussion forum but atm no replies so i'll ask here.

I know there are alot of 120 threads here but I couldn't seem to find one that had a plumbing situation that would help me out. I bought a 120 today and I am trying to plan my plumbing to know how to plumb it all togehter and what size return pump to use.

I should be getting a sump built soon so everything has to fit under the stand. I was thinking of a Mag9 for return pump but wasn't sure if that would be strong enough. I wanted it to feed back up through the overflows and end through some LocLine. I was also hoping to get the new IceCap pump whenever it comes out to help with the flow inside the tank.

I plan to run a all softie tank of zoa, mushroom, and some LPS like acans and blastos(not sure if blasto is LPS though). No sps at all.

If you have a 120g tank with a sump below in the stand and willing to post some pictures of it please do that would help me alot!!

Thanks

Now I really don't have a clue how I should set up the plumbing and it done right. I hope to place an order with Savko.com as soon as I figure out what parts I need.

Opiy
03/17/2006, 06:31 AM
Anyone have anything to share on this ?

dirty59rt
03/17/2006, 08:24 AM
Sorry can't help with the plumbing. I'm plannin on goin to a 120. If yo don't mind me askin, what'd you give for the tank? That is if it's new. Was gonna do a 90 but it'd be nice to have that extra 1/2 foot in the back. Just tryin to decide if the price difference is worth gettin that extra space.

scothew
03/17/2006, 09:39 AM
I think you would be better off with a bigger pump, like a mag 12 since it will have dual returns correct?

Tomoko Schum
03/17/2006, 08:14 PM
I have an AGA 120 tank with dual returns on a mag 12. The dua overflow handled a mag 18 without a problem, but my sump is on a small side and I could not get rid of microbubbles. You might be better off with a smallish pump and a big external one connected to a closed loop. A 4 port ocean motion set up is great although expensive. You can try Anthony Calfo's manifold on a closed loop, too.

If you are keeping mainly softies and LPS's, a Mag 12 with locklines and Y's should give you enough flow. Without Y's, the flow from a return line is pretty strong. For SPS's I had to add SEIO pumps, though.

Tomoko

jsrph
03/17/2006, 08:50 PM
I am getting ready to plumb my 77 acrylic, I have a mag 9.5 for the dual reutrns and a mag12 with a 4 way ocean motion for the closed loop. The sump is a 29 gallon tank from John Newby's that I put baffles and built my refugium in. will start a new thread with pictures shortly

joejoe1055
03/17/2006, 09:38 PM
i use a mag12 on mine, i have a 29 sump built by the first owner but it works great

Opiy
03/17/2006, 10:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6975193#post6975193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dirty59rt
Sorry can't help with the plumbing. I'm plannin on goin to a 120. If yo don't mind me askin, what'd you give for the tank? That is if it's new. Was gonna do a 90 but it'd be nice to have that extra 1/2 foot in the back. Just tryin to decide if the price difference is worth gettin that extra space.

$554 for just tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6975668#post6975668 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by scothew
I think you would be better off with a bigger pump, like a mag 12 since it will have dual returns correct?

I planned to use both overs with the LocLine with Ys so I could help spread the flow around better. Just what I was thinking.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6979991#post6979991 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tomoko Schum
I have an AGA 120 tank with dual returns on a mag 12. The dua overflow handled a mag 18 without a problem, but my sump is on a small side and I could not get rid of microbubbles. You might be better off with a smallish pump and a big external one connected to a closed loop. A 4 port ocean motion set up is great although expensive. You can try Anthony Calfo's manifold on a closed loop, too.

If you are keeping mainly softies and LPS's, a Mag 12 with locklines and Y's should give you enough flow. Without Y's, the flow from a return line is pretty strong. For SPS's I had to add SEIO pumps, though.

Tomoko

I am pretty sure now I will end up going with the Mag12 because so far thats what I have heard is the pump of choice. I really don't want to go mag18 because I want to keep flow in my sump low. The oceansmotions 4 was a consideration for me but I really don't know a thing about them and I actually just heard about them pretty recently. I will have to do some reading but I really seem to like what they can do but I don't know what kind of flow they put out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6980273#post6980273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jsrph
I am getting ready to plumb my 77 acrylic, I have a mag 9.5 for the dual reutrns and a mag12 with a 4 way ocean motion for the closed loop. The sump is a 29 gallon tank from John Newby's that I put baffles and built my refugium in. will start a new thread with pictures shortly

Sounds cool. Can't wait to see some pics !!

alafish
03/18/2006, 07:48 PM
Wow, that sounds high for the tank. What kind is it?

Opiy
03/18/2006, 08:10 PM
Its the AGA 120g got it from aquarium designs

edwar050
03/19/2006, 08:46 PM
Nice tank was it the one in the back right corner? I found that with my refugium in the middle of my sump the mag 12's extra water movement barely compaired to the seios and did not increase skimming. I could not elimintate micro bubbles as well. I am currently running a mag 5 in my 120 and two seio 1500's. I like Tomoko Schum's idea of using another pump OM, CL, or tunze/seio for flow and sticking with a 12, 9.5, or even 7 for return. Other pumps may be more cost effective in electricity. What is the flow height it has to go up and how many turn will it take? They have a good calculator on here, garf, and googling mag pump to calculate head loss. Hope this helps some.

Opiy
03/20/2006, 06:13 AM
well if you were standing at the front door it was on the left with the stand that was a dark stain not the maple looking stand.

BTW can flex pvc be glued to a solid pvc fiitting? Or do you have to use the barb fittings?

I so ansiously wait for the new Icecap pump. Thats what I am hoping to put in the 120 as soon as they are available and I have the extra money.