PDA

View Full Version : Question on my 5' skimmer

kysmith
03/16/2006, 08:50 AM
I have been building it slowly and finally have had it running for about 48 hours.

Here are my questions

1. The collection cup is completely water/air tight and when I put the top on it puts backpressure on the bubbles and holds the water level really low. Too low to get any skimmate in the cup. I've left the top off for the last 12 hours to let it break in, but this is not a good solution. I can't have it setup like this bc it will overflow sometime and I don't want a nasty wet carpet when this happens. Anyone else had this problem?

2. What kind of turn over should I have in the skimmer, presently it is very low, like 4 gallons an hour (skimmer holds about 3 gallons).

Thanks,
Kyle

RichConley
03/16/2006, 09:02 AM
What type of skimmer is it? skimmers generally need vented collection cups. There are all sorts of ways that you can make it so your skimmer shuts down when the cup is full.

Critter
03/16/2006, 09:09 AM
My guess is you need to put a drain line in the collection cup to another container. What this does it two things... It allows you to close up the collection cup, but doesn't put backpressure on the bubbles because the air can escape out the drain tube. Now when skimmate starts flowing it will fill the container to the point where it reaches the tube from the collection cup. Once it does this it will be harder for the air to escape and thus put back pressure back on the skimmer stoping it from prducing more and flooding your room. Anyhow that is how mine works :) good luck.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967065#post6967065 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kysmith
I have been building it slowly and finally have had it running for about 48 hours.

Here are my questions

1. The collection cup is completely water/air tight and when I put the top on it puts backpressure on the bubbles and holds the water level really low. Too low to get any skimmate in the cup. I've left the top off for the last 12 hours to let it break in, but this is not a good solution. I can't have it setup like this bc it will overflow sometime and I don't want a nasty wet carpet when this happens. Anyone else had this problem?

2. What kind of turn over should I have in the skimmer, presently it is very low, like 4 gallons an hour (skimmer holds about 3 gallons).

Thanks,
Kyle

Roland Jacques
03/16/2006, 09:31 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967065#post6967065 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kysmith

you need to give more details for this question. tank size, skimmer type, what your keeping, maybe a photo

RandyStacyE
03/16/2006, 09:41 AM
If you don’t want to incorporate a drain line like Critter said, you could just drill some small holes on the outer perimeter of the lid of the collection cup.

When you run your skimmer, obviously you’re bringing in air, the air rises to the top and can not escape the skimmer, this air is building up pressure which is forcing the water to exit the skimmer resulting in the water level to drop rather quickly. Most skimmers have holes in their lids for this reason. Whether you use a drain or holes in the lid you will get a stable water level.

RandyStacyE
03/16/2006, 09:41 AM
http://www.euro-reef.com/images/accesories/ER-SkimmerCupLid6-0LG.jpg

kysmith
03/16/2006, 10:32 AM
I was thinking I would go with the drain line. I just wanted to avoid having to do this now ug....... drain line it is.

kysmith
03/16/2006, 10:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6967374#post6967374 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yourfishman
you need to give more details for this question. tank size, skimmer type, what your keeping, maybe a photo

Well I've got a 29g tank with a 10 gallon sump which only holds about 7 gallons, + a remote deep sand bed which has a 4" bed and is about half full.

The skimmer is a 4" piece of PVC pipe, about 5'6" tall. With a sedra 5K on it.

Livestock
bi colored blenny
pygmy angel
maroon clown
2 cleaner shrimp
adding a royal gama soon
misc. Snails and hermits
1 squamosa who isn't doing good
miscellaneous frags

I'll be adding some SPS soon.

Roland Jacques
03/16/2006, 02:38 PM
I differ to Randy here. IMO I would go 60 gph. Normally on bigger tanks 1 turn an hour is my outside goal for a recirc skimmer. But yours can hold 10% of your total water volume your skimmer can easily handle 2 turns even 3 turns.

kysmith
03/17/2006, 09:10 AM
ok I got 45 gph going through as a happy medium. It looks like it's breaking in nicely, only been running tuned about 12 hours and it's on the verge of making some gunk. We shall see...... I'll post pictures once it's preforming.