PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with dendrophyllia???

MattG
03/16/2006, 11:06 AM
Wondering if anybody here has this coral? If so how long have you had it and where did you get it? Does it stay open during the day?

Have a frag to trade/sell?

H.crispa
03/16/2006, 11:21 AM
I had dendrophyllia but my doctor gave me a shot of penicillin and it cleared right up.

mcox33
03/16/2006, 09:42 PM
I'm not sure exactly sure they are dendrophyllia, but I have two, you may have one. They are in the very bottom of my tank on the sand and come out periodically(sp). I got them at a lfs they stay pretty fat but I wish they would extend more poylps consistantly instead of just sometimes.

sixliner6
03/16/2006, 10:41 PM
What lfs did you get them Mary?

MattG
03/17/2006, 06:05 AM
Jason: Always the jokester. :D

Mary: Are you talking about dendronepthea or dendrophyllia? I know you have said you most likely had a dendronepthea so just wanted to make sure. The names are close so sometimes they get confused.

If you do have dendrophyllia then i would be very interested in hearing your experiences with it.

mcox33
03/17/2006, 07:15 PM
okay this one was called dendronepthia when I got it but it looks like the pictures I seen of dendrophyllia. I do however still have the other one as well. Meaning I probably have both of the dendro's. Just let me know when you want the phyllia

MattG
03/18/2006, 08:53 AM
That's a very nice offer Mary.

Here is a good picture of a dendrophyllia. They closely resemble sun corals (tubastraea ) but the polyps are larger and supposedly remain open throughout the day.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=111044&papass=&sort=1&thecat=998

If this is what you have I would be very interested.

I heard that Cliff (pappygonefishin2002) might have had one before he broke his tank down so if someone did get Cliff's old one speak up :D

phljess
03/18/2006, 09:02 AM
Matt there is someone selling dendrophyllia on the selling forum you may want to take a look at it.

coralreefer
03/18/2006, 02:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6982818#post6982818 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MattG
I heard that Cliff (pappygonefishin2002) might have had one before he broke his tank down so if someone did get Cliff's old one speak up :D
Seriously :eek2:

Matt now you've got me curious. I traded Cliff for some sun polyps awhile back. He did say he paid a lot for them and they were rare but they never opened for him.
I just figured somebody convinced Cliff sun polyps were "rare" in general.
These are bigger than "normal" suns but I always assumed they couldn't be dendrophyllia. It opens a lot during the day but not consistently, ie not right now :rolleyes:

Here's a couple bad pictures of mine from last year taken during the day. All the mature polyps are at least the size of the center one now.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/buffett2/2005_0423starssun0002cr.jpg http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/buffett2/2005_0423starssun0003cr.jpg

MattG
03/18/2006, 03:18 PM
Tough to say. The two are suppose to be very tough to distinguish. The only way i know to tell them apart is size and that dendrophyllia are suppose to remain open during the day. since size is a relative thing so that throws that out for the most part.

Did cliff say what 'expensive' meant? The prices i have seen for dendrophyllia are super high.d

Really i dont care if i have dendrophyllia or just regular old sun polyps. I just want them open during the day regularly.

coralreefer
03/18/2006, 05:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6984843#post6984843 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MattG
Tough to say. The two are suppose to be very tough to distinguish. The only way i know to tell them apart is size and that dendrophyllia are suppose to remain open during the day. since size is a relative thing so that throws that out for the most part.

Did cliff say what 'expensive' meant? The prices i have seen for dendrophyllia are super high.d

Really i dont care if i have dendrophyllia or just regular old sun polyps. I just want them open during the day regularly.

This was our very first meeting, pre-auction. He just muttered dam freaking expensive waste of money etc., etc :eek1: they weren't opening 'cause they were starved to death
I know what dendrophyllia has been selling for lately so I doubt it was "that" expensive but this was about a year before they became really popular too. That's another reason I doubted they could be dendrophyllia but with Cliff who knows. Still think it was a good trade for a green star polyp frag ;)

These do open pretty regularly during the day, just not when I want to take a picture :rolleyes:
Then again they and the micrantha have been trained to open/eat when the lights are on.