PDA

View Full Version : Banggai Cardinalfish Question

Lpabsolute
03/17/2006, 10:14 PM
I have a 54g. corner tank. Just added two small clowns about 1/2 " in size. I was trying to decide on another fish to add to the tank. I was wondering if i would be able to keep any Banggai Cardinalfish? Has anyone ever had a prob. with them in their reef tanks? I've heard that they would mess with my baby clowns and also my cleaner shrimp. If i get one i would try and get the smallest size i could. My question is would it be a safe addition to my tank? Would it mess with my clowns/cleaner/corals? And would i be able to add just one of them or would two be best? Thanks...........

Here's a pic of what i'm looking for and the size.....

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/537/1052486_week_olds.JPG

Ghumbee
03/17/2006, 10:24 PM
I have a pair of Banggai in my 54 corner. They are in there with a Perc Clown and a Blue/Green Chromis and Misc Corals,a Coral Banded Shrimp and an Emerald Crab. I have not had any problems with them what-so-ever, as a matter of fact the male has been holding eggs since March 2nd :)

I would suggest you try and get captive bred Banggai's though and be careful if you put two in---they may both be males and can/will fight until one is dead if they are mature (old) enough.

1/2" Clowns---I would wait awile, that is really small.

Search Google for Dr. Frank Marini. He has written some very good info on the Banggai's.

Chuck

Lpabsolute
03/17/2006, 10:29 PM
Chuck-

Thanks for the feedback on the Banggai. How are you liking your corner? Got any pics?........How hard is it to tell the sex of the Banggai's. Was thinking of only adding one. But again Thanks....

Lpabsolute
03/17/2006, 10:30 PM
Chuck-

Just saw the pics on your page. Nice looking tank, any full tank shots?

Ghumbee
03/18/2006, 07:59 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6981035#post6981035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lpabsolute
Chuck-

Thanks for the feedback on the Banggai. How are you liking your corner? Got any pics?........How hard is it to tell the sex of the Banggai's. Was thinking of only adding one. But again Thanks....

I do not believe there is a way to tell them apart until after you see the male holding the eggs or witness different behaviors..I can only tell mine apart now by differences in their spots. I love corner tanks--They are a pain to install lighting and for room underneath for sumps though. Most of the pics in my gallery are from 130W PC lighting (The Bright Pictures) and 175w 20k MH the too blue pictures :) I settled on 175w 14k and I am much happier with that look but don't have any recent photos.

Chuck

Wolverine
03/18/2006, 09:39 AM
Chuck's right. There are some old concepts about fin length and jaw size that have turned out to not be correct. The only reliable way is to have one of them carrying eggs.

In our old 46g we had a pair of ocellaris and a pair of banggai. The clowns laid eggs frequently, and the banggai carried fry all the time. We never made any effort to raise any, but a few of teh cardinals survived to adulthood anyway.

Dave