PDA

View Full Version : overflow & Sump

swamp63
03/18/2006, 09:03 PM
I have a 3/4" return line from the sump to the tank and have a
1" line from the overflow to the sump. the problem is the overflow will fill and then drain down real fast, so i'm wondering if i should take the line from the overflow down from1" to 3/4" to even out the flow.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated

Kelly:confused:

hiflykitty
03/18/2006, 11:14 PM
No, it is pretty standard that the line going in to the sump be bigger than the line going from the return pump back into the tank. the rate at which the overflow box fills depends on your return pump. the overflow box should have a constant amount of water in it, it should not fill and then drain and then fill again. I am not sure why it is doing this, however you might check the line from the overflow to the sump and make sure that it is not overgrown with algae or have something else (ie snail) blocking it.

VCoo71
03/18/2006, 11:17 PM
is this a hang on the back type of overflow?

charlie

dugg
03/18/2006, 11:35 PM
What type of a stand pipe do you have in the box? If you have a durso, the air release hole is plugged up, if you don't have one, do a google search for a durso stand pipe. They are cheap and easy to make, and work great.

dugg
03/18/2006, 11:36 PM
http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/dursostandpipe.html

eddybabyhd
03/18/2006, 11:38 PM
your drain needs a vent, the pressure of the water where the it outs into the sump is too great...if you do the stand pipe or a vent on the drain, it will stop

swamp63
03/19/2006, 02:09 AM
I am not sure why it is doing this, however you might check the line from the overflow to the sump and make sure that it is not overgrown with algae or have something else (ie snail) blocking it.

It's a new line i just set it up today so there is no blockage there

Charlie it is a hob it's one that chris at heartland made and it does have a standpipe with a vent and the vent is clear so i can't understand why it's doing this

Kelly

VCoo71
03/19/2006, 08:59 AM
is the tube going toward the sump under the water?

charlie

swamp63
03/19/2006, 06:13 PM
yes the line fron the over flow to the sump was going donw in the water. i shortend it up the the water level and that helped a lot. I'm going to put a ball valve inline to adjust the flow a little and i think that help a bit more

Thanks Charlie

Kelly

zoomfish1
03/19/2006, 08:24 PM
It sounds like the water level in the tank is not constant. Do you have a ball valve on the return line @ the pump to regulate the flow back into the tank?

I also had to install one on the drain to regulate (cut back) the drain from the display. Maybe the return pump is too large? Just a few thoughts.

swamp63
03/20/2006, 12:28 AM
zoom yea i think the pump is to low flow to keep up with the drain so i'm going to add a ball valve to the drain line to even it up. I think that will fix it up. Thanks for all the help everyone

Kelly

Youngsilver
03/20/2006, 05:31 AM
My HOB overflow was really loud, even w/ durso mod, so I found out that if i can get the ball valve closed off just right, it will drain consistently, and silently. Just make sure you have plenty of time to watch it when you try this to make sure that it isnt cosed too much. Even the slightest bit to slow, and hours.. days.. later you could overflow your display. :D

swamp63
03/20/2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up Youngsilver.
I just put the ball valve on the drain and it's made a world of difference i'll keep an eye on it now and make sure theres no overflows

Thanks