PDA

View Full Version : sump return in-line pump plumbing

unit91
03/19/2006, 12:55 PM
Hey everyone... I just exchanged a Mag7 pump for a Poseidon PS2 in-line pump... Tested it and it runs great. But I'm VERY concerned about when a power failure happens as it WILL NOT hold a prime. When the power is cut, all the water drains out of the system so when the power comes back on, the pump will be running dry and no doubt ruin itself... ideas? Is there a non return valve that anyone knows about? I must say I'm not too impressed with Poseidon for not having a non return valve built in to such an expensive pump... please help!

Rekonn
03/19/2006, 07:20 PM
Got a pic of your setup? I'm having a hard time understanding how all the water can drain out of your pump. As long as the water level in your sump is higher than your pump, it should always have water inside.

SDguy
03/19/2006, 07:46 PM
Unfortunately few external pumps in this hobby are self priming. You must therefore keep the pump lower than the water level of the sump, as Rekonn mentioned, to keep water in it after power goes out. How did you originally get it started? How did you get water in it the first time before turning it on?