PDA

View Full Version : tank covering

Fishie Nut
03/19/2006, 03:18 PM
I'm researching a 125 gal reef, plan to use MH, which hand over the top of the tank, leaving the tank open. What keeps the fish from jumping out? I've alread lost a wrasse -- uhg -- who jumped out. Do I use egg crate type material? Will that affect the lighting?

:confused:

wfrost
03/19/2006, 03:22 PM
You can use egg crate , and as long as the fixture is directly over the egg crate it wont affect it at all.

jdm01
03/19/2006, 03:27 PM
I use the glass covers that were designed for the tank. It leaves a couple of inches open at the back to keep things vented and keep it from becoming a complete pressure cooker.

Devildogg9745
03/20/2006, 10:01 AM
I think the egg-crate would be a better idea than glass tops. As glass collects water spots and saltcreep I will patially block the light and with glass tops there is always the possibility of temp problem.

ricks
03/20/2006, 10:48 AM
Buy fish that don't jump, or are slow learners... I don't and wouldn't cover my tank. You need the gas exchange and cooling. But I've also lost some a few fish over the years...

lvpd186
03/20/2006, 10:58 AM
I used to cover my tank with the glass that came with it. This always caused my tank to heat up when my lights were on. In addition to that the glass cut down on the light that got in to the tank. Since I have taken my glass off I havent had any problems with excessive heat and everything looks like it is getting better light. If you are worried about jumpers use the egg -crate, otherwise leave it open. PS: be ready to start adding more top off water when you remove the glass.