PDA

View Full Version : Tank went nuts...

ReeferRyan
03/19/2006, 07:50 PM
In a matter of minutes, my tank went from perfectly fine to completely nuts. All of my corals completely retracted, my inverts quit moving, and my fish started to swim around like they lost their minds. I tested my water, and everything but my nitrates seems to be in line. The nitrates are ~60 ppm. I added a lot more chaeto yesterday to try to counteract that.

I did add two new fish today (a blue velvet wrasse and a mandarin goby) and a bottle of tigger pods to the fuge.

The tank seems to be coming around but for about thirty minutes everything was crazy. Any ideas as to what may have caused this?

djc1026
03/19/2006, 07:53 PM
It sounds like something was added to the tank. Was an aerosol used near the time you noticed this? How close to the addition of the fish and pods was the tank reaction?

Dave

ReeferRyan
03/19/2006, 07:56 PM
No aerosols used all day. This happened about 4 hours after adding them to the tank. The new fish are swimming around and seem to be ok.

zoomfish1
03/19/2006, 08:15 PM
Kinda sounds like when you put a fish in quarantine for a few weeks and decide to put him in the display the next day. Next day he is dead.

Who knows why things like that happen in this crazy hobby.

pwhitby
03/19/2006, 08:26 PM
Electrical shock, at leat thats what it sounds like, have you checke d the tank for ground leaks?

ReeferRyan
03/19/2006, 08:37 PM
****! I will try a grounding probe. I have meant to do that and just forgot.

2ras
03/20/2006, 11:37 AM
I wonder how many people have actually thought of a grounding probe. There are arguments out there for and against grounding probes.
The one item that is a must, and that is a GFI circuit for your tank.

dustin Combs
03/20/2006, 04:00 PM
On saturday Ryan and I were discussing the voltage that I had experienced from a failing Mag 9 on my Ca reactor. I placed the Ground probe back in the tank and the problem was solved. Yea!!
I also sent the pump back under warrenty.

dustin