PDA

View Full Version : how do I protect my tank

Thorndunes
03/19/2006, 09:13 PM
I have a 75g wall tank in my billirad room and want to make a shield out of plexiglass to protect it from cue sticks and children. I have the plex. cut and trinm for it but my problem is that I want to be able to scrub it with a magfloat . I was thinking of building a frame and putting it on a heavy duty piano hinge and opening & closing it as need. Anyone have this problem out there? Any advise would be appreciated!

00nothing
03/19/2006, 11:20 PM
i dont have any advice but i have thought of this same issue when i do finally get into a house i own ai want a very large in wall but a foosball table is also a must and those suckers can fly

AndyL
03/19/2006, 11:37 PM
http://www.dynamicclosures.com/rolling/pristine.htm

These actually aren't that expensive and could easily be encorporated into your stand/hood... When you're going to play pool, just lower the shutter, can still see the tank, but it's protected behind polycarbonate.

AcroSteve
03/20/2006, 07:57 PM
I have the same issue. But I have not done anything about it yet. How far from the table is the tank?

Sticks would not be a problem, but the balls would.

The vast majority of the time a ball comes off the table is on the break right? You do break away from the tank don't you?

BeanAnimal
03/20/2006, 08:08 PM
Hrmm I used to play in fooseball tournaments...

How about build a frame and cover (assuming this is an inwall tank) and puttin rare earth megents into your inwall frame and into the protective frame. Just slap it on during play time.

I will have similar "black out fabric" cover as my In wall is in the home theater.

Bean

hllywd
03/20/2006, 10:12 PM
I've though of creating the same problem but never have because of this issue. I'd hate to end up with my tank inhabitants all end up on the floor from an errant queball...:eek1: I sorta like the magnet and polycarb idea...:cool:

Paverdude
03/20/2006, 11:04 PM
I have the exact same problem, tank running along the pool tabel 4.5 feet away. (in wall)

Iwas thinking of useing a lightly smoked plexi mounted flush with the dry wall, and setting the tank back 2-3 inches

the plexi would protect the tank and when the lights are out it would look dark (smoked)

Paverdude
03/20/2006, 11:06 PM
also light in the room at night , when aqu lights are off would be defused to the aquarium

jcm1229
03/21/2006, 01:50 PM
My billiard balls don't stay out. They come out of the box when we play - otherwise they are locked away.

AcroSteve
03/21/2006, 06:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7006707#post7006707 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jcm1229
My billiard balls don't stay out. They come out of the box when we play - otherwise they are locked away.

That is a good idea!!

hllywd
03/21/2006, 07:04 PM
They come out of the box when we play

That's the part I'm worried about, otherwise they are safely stationary on the table ready go on a moment's notice in case some prey enters the lair and a match breaks out...:D

Thorndunes
03/22/2006, 09:10 PM
Hmmmmm, lots of usefull info. Thanks everyone. I'll have to mull it over