PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing!!! Need some input!

MBuck
03/19/2006, 09:35 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/86521Plumbingdiagram.jpg

This is a diagram of what I would like to do:

Bulkheads have already been purchased, tank getting drilled tomorrow.

I have 72" tank, I place the drain holes 24" from each end....this leaves approx. 19" between holes.

There will be two 20g Long tanks for sump and refugium....is this doable?

I did the overflow calculation...with my bulkhead size it gives me 2700 gph, for both holes, is this enough flow?

It also recommends a 20" overflow, can I just place a 40" overflow, instead of two seperate ones?

What dimensions would you use for the box???

This is a FOWLR, large predator tank, Lionfish, Dog-faced Puffer, Eel, and something else, perhaps a harlequin tusk...

Looking forward to some feedback...

Also, what size return pump, would prefer submersible...

Critque it, tear it apart, tell me what's good, what you would do dfferent!!

Thanks!!

:D

Rekonn
03/20/2006, 03:21 AM
Are you set on having two separate tanks underneath, one for sump and one for refugium? Is there a reason you're taking that approach instead of one larger tank/tub with sections?

Since your tank will be FOWLR, I'm guessing your refugium will primarily be for nitrate reduction, right?

I'm no expert, but I believe a better setup would be to have one large container. Have both drains dump water into the first section that will contain the skimmer. The second section will be the refugium (with Chaeto), and the third section will contain the return pump.

Unless you have a need for high water flow in your sump, I'd aim for only 4x tank volume. Don't rely on your return pump to supply all the water flow in your main tank. It's much more efficient to use a closed loop or powerheads in the main tank. You'll use less electricity and be able to use a quieter and cheaper return pump that way.

MBuck
03/20/2006, 07:33 AM
I am running into the probelm of having 24" of vertical space in my stand.....most tanks are fairly tall...need room to remove skimmer cup, etc.

Thought perhaps two low tanks would be easier than trying to find a long short one....

I am looking for as much volume as I can get for my sump/refugium, to help with the bioload.

Someone had suggested a 40g long... I hadn't found one, but hear PSP has them.

May look into that. Don't expect I will need high flow anywhere in the tank or sump, this is where I get a little confused....

Just need enough flow to keep the detrius in the water column..

Thanks for your help!!