PDA

View Full Version : SPS Coral question

Reggae Fish
03/20/2006, 08:35 AM
I have Power Compact 260 total watt- 2-12,000k and 2-actinic.

It's a 72 bow.

My question I had, is there any SPS that I can put in there. I have the ability to get them high up. Someone told me that montipora digitata and montipora cap would do just fine in that. Do you all agree or disagree and can you think of any other sps that would do fine with that lighting.

Thanks,
Justin

Nanook
03/20/2006, 08:48 AM
Agreed that the digitata will probably live and grow. You can try an acro or two, but I don't think they will thrive under that lighting. They need more intensity.

dave

rams
03/20/2006, 09:24 AM
Don't forget water quality and good flow are also key. Sometimes people with the most intense lighting fail because of this.

DrBDC
03/20/2006, 10:09 AM
I had a monti cap under pc lighting and although it did not grow fast, it kept color and did grow. I had an unknown hitchhiker acro that did ok too. I would def. stick to freebies or good deals just in case at first and watch. Clean the bulbs/glass very regular and carbon for water clarity will help get more light to the corals. I'd give it a shot. Maybe over in the sps forum do a search for sps and pc's and see what comes up.

Reggae Fish
03/20/2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks. My water flow is very good. Although, on my return nozzles, they are kindof spitting what looks kind of snowy. I just transferred my old tank to the new 72. Is this just a breaking in period. Or is it just look like it's coming from there any stirring up stuff that hasn't been filtered out yet.

I'm having a bit of an issue with my skimmer and hope it's ok. It was producing bubbles but I was running it too wet. But now that I emptied it and switched it over it isn't really producing bubbles as of this morning from last night. Is this because it's a new skimmer (couple week) and kindof got cleaned by running way too much water through it. Is it because it just needs to be broken in again?

If it doesn't start working properly soon, would someone who is around ballwin maybe stop by to make sure I have it set up correctly. I have a regular HOB filter also going right now to just get it cleared up since it caused quite a bit of stirring around when I switched tanks.

Also, if anyone has a good deal or is wanting to get rid of a acro or montipora digitata, please let me know.

Thanks,
Justin