PDA

View Full Version : Durso problems

spjeff69
03/20/2006, 11:09 AM
My Durso keeps "flushing". The weird thing is that when it "flushes" the return water being pumped back into the tank stops coming out of the outlets in the tank until the overflow fills back up.

What the heck is going on??

theop
03/20/2006, 11:32 AM
Flushing like that is often a sign of not enough airflow into the Durso. How big is your air hole?

If it used to work ok then the problem is likely salt creep or something else (snail, calcium) plugging up the hole. Try rinsing the durso out with water or if that doesn't work, vinegar.

A second possibility is backpressure from your drain pipe being too low in your sump.

spjeff69
03/20/2006, 11:40 AM
The hole I have is very small. I will make it bigger and see what happens.

How would the durso affect the return water though?

crumbletop
03/20/2006, 12:03 PM
In addition to what theop says, it sounds like you don't have enough water in the overall system. If I read what you said correctly, it sounds like your return pump doesn't have water to pump back into the tank when the drain stops. If this is the case, you'll need to add more water to the system. Hopefully the sump will accomodate more water and still have enough reserve room to handle the overflow water and back-siphoning through the return pump when you turn things off.

Jack

theop
03/20/2006, 03:41 PM
^ Good point.

You should look at your sump during this "flushing" cycle to see if the water level is going below your return pump intake. However this is not necessarily a bad thing, since you don't want your return pump to overflow your tank.