PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about breeding

Chrissy
03/20/2006, 11:53 AM
I am thinking about breeding...seems you all have some great experience... where is a good place to start??

books? types of fish? web sites? articles?:)

what are your thoughts?

thanks

Kathy55g
03/20/2006, 12:06 PM
hI Chrissy, and welcome to the Fish Breeding Forum!

Books: Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson
Breeding the Orchid Dottyback by Martin Moe
Conditioning and Breeding...Marine Fish with emphasis on Clownfish by Frank Hoff
Phytoplankton Culture Manual by Frank Hoff, or is it Huff?

Fish: Ocellaris Clownfish are good to try. Cardinal fish are supposed to be pretty easy, but I have no experience with them.

Web site: this forum
Articles: Stickies at the top of this forum

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Kathy

Chrissy
03/20/2006, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the info-

I will let keep you updated...

Have you breed? which kind of fish?

Kathy55g
03/20/2006, 03:26 PM
I have had limited success raising clownfish that someone else bred. Only been doing this for 6 months

mako56
03/20/2006, 05:07 PM
Hey Chrissy good luck. I think you can do a pretty good job just listening to the people here. Just try the simplest method that seems to work and if it doesn't for you just keep adding things untill you got it. It has been a real treat being here and learning and once you get it it doesn't really seem that hard any more. Then you just have to figure out what to do with all the youngins. My wife wasn't that fired up about it at first but now she doesn't even want to get rid if any. :lol: We only have around 150 now. :rolleye1:

spk
03/21/2006, 04:23 AM
Hey Chrissy,

Welcome and good luck.

I am currently doing Bangaii Cardinals, and they are real easy when you get a pair.

Basically daddy looks after the babies till they are ready to come out and they are already little fishes. Easy to feed too. Only need Baby Brine shrim.

But agree with everyone here, read the books Kathy suggested and start from there.

Steve

Chrissy
03/21/2006, 06:28 AM
thanks for all the info...looks like I have some reading to do :-)

Here is an interesting site I found:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/aug2002/breeder.htm

Chrissy
03/21/2006, 06:54 AM
How did you find a breeding pair of fish?

spk
03/22/2006, 12:06 AM
Chrissy,

For me it was always looking at folks that were breaking their tanks down. Advertising a breeding pair of Cardinals or clowns.

You need to be patient. :)

Let us know how you progress.

Steve