PDA

View Full Version : gluing new live rock?

acrouse
03/20/2006, 08:34 PM
I have 130lbs of new live rock curing and would like information on the best way to aquascape when cured. I have read about epoxy, super glue, and using plastic zip ties to secure the rocks together. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips/do's & don'ts-Any specific brands that work best if epoxy is suggested?

thanks jolene

old salty
03/20/2006, 10:24 PM
I would skip the gluing of live rock at the beginning. I have rescaped my tank over half a dozen times trying to get that perfect look. Just stack the rock so there is little danger of rockslides. Also keep in mind to stack the rock so there is good flow around it.

yogisfriend
03/20/2006, 11:16 PM
There were several good threads here a while back about drilling holes in the rock and using acrylic rods to hold them in place. Made some nice arches that way. However, I agree with salty--you'll change your aquascape many times before you feel it is perfect.

acrouse
03/21/2006, 05:07 PM
sounds like a good idea to me-as a beginner -Im sure it will take several rearrangings before Im satisfied. If the rocks are very secure with no glue and my fish and I are happy-do I still need to permanently attach the rocks later?

Thanks jolene

FloatingFish
03/21/2006, 06:35 PM
My tank has been up for 3 years now and I haven't glued my live rock yet. It all depends on what you feel like doing. I change my rock around when I get bored of the way it looks. That is also why I don't glue my corals my rock. But you have to watch out for your snails and crabs pushing them down.

Dastank
03/21/2006, 08:23 PM
I have to agree with some of the previous posts. I have changed my aquascaping quite a few times and have never glued or strapped them together. I don't think I'll ever do it, but I've said that before!

jdm01
03/21/2006, 10:19 PM
I have yet to glue any rock and I have yet to have any problems. Just make sure the rock structure is stabile.