PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 6 month old tank

simplytexas
03/20/2006, 09:54 PM
Hi, I bought a 55 gallon tank off a guy who had it up and running for nine years. I have had the tank now for a few months. Let me start by saying that my water conditions, according to my 4 part test kit, are perfect, and so is the lighting and filtration system. I cannot seem to keep powder blue tangs nor clowns alive. The odd thing is that the most sensitive corals just thrive in my tank. Does anyone have any ideas as to why my fish keep dying? I am doing everything I know to do and can't manage to keep these guys alive. Other fish currently in my tank are damsel, royal gramma, hippo tang, yellow tang and hawk fish. Most all of them have some level of ick and have it most of the time. I have snails, crabs and starfish as well. I maintain a constant temp and salt level. Thanks in advance.

angelsj247
03/20/2006, 09:59 PM
what do your test include.. and what are they? need to know..

simplytexas
03/20/2006, 10:17 PM
We use the Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit, it includes: High range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. My levels are pH - 8.4, Nitrate- 10, but looking on my records, on the 9th, it spiked to 40, Nitrite- 0, and Ammonia- .25 or less. Thanks.

old salty
03/20/2006, 10:21 PM
I steered away from Powder Blue Tangs as many folks have stated that they are quite difficult to keep, especially for beginners. Since your fish have ich, this may compound the problem as well.

mg426
03/20/2006, 10:23 PM
i am sure that the mention of ick is not helping things. Also three tangs in a 55 is less than ideal.