PDA

View Full Version : algae?

davidhughes85
03/20/2006, 11:18 PM
My tank has been up for about two and a half weeks and i had my 260 watt PC running for 9 hours a day but i was afraid that my cleaning crew was going to die from lack of food so ive been running them 12 hours now. Today I have noticed my sand now is turning brown is this good? or should i keep my lighting lower so my sand is white again? Its not out of control but theres definately stuff starting to grow

davidhughes85
03/20/2006, 11:35 PM
anyone?

reefin'aggie
03/20/2006, 11:42 PM
Sounds like you have the first of the micoralgae stages called Diatoms. They are usually first in the chain and go away pretty quickly if you maintenance the tank regularly. They are the first sign that your nitrogen cycle is nearing completion. Most members of cleaning crews like hermits make short work of them also. You might want to check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels to see where you are at. If you don't have any corals in the tank, 12hrs may be excessive, but won't hurt.

HTH
Jacob

davidhughes85
03/20/2006, 11:49 PM
I have some mushrooms my titrite is 0 ammonia is 0 and nitrates is the second luvel liek .25 or something

reefin'aggie
03/20/2006, 11:53 PM
How much and where did you get your liverock from? Has it been in the tank the entire time?

Jacob

davidhughes85
03/20/2006, 11:57 PM
yes it sbeen in there roughly all the same time i have about 25 pounds some was base rock

davidhughes85
03/20/2006, 11:58 PM
ps i hate aggies, texas tech representing:-)

reefin'aggie
03/21/2006, 12:22 AM
HAHA!!! Funny, b/c you're asking all the questions and I'm answering them!!! Just kiddin around. I have nothing against any other TX schools because they are just that...in TEXAS!!!

Back to the rock, doesn't sound like too much rock in there to cycle so I would say watch the ammonia and trates for a few more days. If everything stays zeroed out, or the only thing increasing are Nitrates, then the cycle should be done. Start adding livestock slowly.

Well I better get some sleep,

Jacob