PDA

View Full Version : seaweed and other greenery

sniggib
03/21/2006, 03:55 AM
how can you get seaweed into your tank???:confused: my tank looks a bit rocky and needs some green in it. Please help by telling me how to put some greenery in there and which type of seaweed is best.
thanks
:)

Swanwillow
03/21/2006, 07:05 AM
macro algae-head on down to the forum for that, and see what people have done.

joe 09
03/21/2006, 07:10 AM
i bought 70$ worth of live plants,put them in the tank.they were gone in one day. the tangs and fox face are like rabbits.

Swanwillow
03/21/2006, 07:16 AM
;)

tangs main food source is algae... you better be feedin them nori!!!

Runner
03/21/2006, 07:30 AM
The type of seaweed (or macro-algae) seen most in this hobby is caulerpa. There are some nice feathery kinds and grape kinds that look good. There is even a macro-algae that builds on a calcium skeletal structure. Be aware, though, that macro-algae is invasive and persistant and will edge out or overgrow corals, so I would plan carefully before putting any in a display tank unless you just want the greenery. Also, many types of caulerpa from time-to-time release spores when the lights go out. This nutrient dump into the tank can cause a nitrate spike that many corals don't like. I would have a skimmer if I did a setup like this.

A tank with macro-algae in it can look great. Just be aware of the limitations before you go that way.

@Swanwillow: I can't get my Kole tang to even sniff the Nori! He likes razor caulerpa, though. :) And Formula II...