PDA

View Full Version : A different approach to Recirculating Skimmers: running two back to back?!?

Mr James
03/21/2006, 07:52 AM
I used to spend my reef $$$'s without hesitation. I have a family now and want to continue the hobby (hobby = addiction), but need to be more careful with my $$$. I am settiing up a 90g reef tank and am looking for a skimmer. I would love to be able to spend $800 - $1400+ for a skimmer, but cannot at this point in time.

I just bought an entire system from a fellow reefer. There was an ASM G1X skimmer within the package. I don't think that skimmer is big enough to run a 90g (plus a pair of 30g sumps) fully stocked. I would love to get a Deltec skimmer and call it good, but the price tag is a little much for me at this time. I have added the recirculating mod and gate valve mod to my G1X. I was thinking about running a second skimmer in-line with the G1X. Maybe have the output from one run into the intake of the other?!?!? What do you think??

I read this and it makes me sound like a cheap-wad!! I might just toss the whole idea in the trash and get another MRC or GEO skimmer and call it a day.

ReeferAl
03/21/2006, 01:24 PM
You will get more total gunk out if you run them in parallel rather than in series. In series may make the water coming out of the skimmer cleaner, but unless all the water coming from the tank to the sump first goes thru the skimmer it will be less efficient than running the skimmers in parallel.

Allen

Fliger
03/21/2006, 03:23 PM
I agree, run them parallel. This guy agrees also. ;-)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/images/mar2004/pages/bac5475_HR_640.html
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/images/mar2004/pages/vanne6021_HR_640.html

Mr James
03/21/2006, 03:32 PM
Duh, I forgot about that method. Always helps to have another view at a problem. Thanks guys!! I could run an ASM and ER side by side and kind of do my own skim-off.

So, how many NW skimmers (such as an ER or ASM) does it take to equal the likes of a Deltec??

twon8
03/21/2006, 04:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7007593#post7007593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr James
Duh, I forgot about that method. Always helps to have another view at a problem. Thanks guys!! I could run an ASM and ER side by side and kind of do my own skim-off.

So, how many NW skimmers (such as an ER or ASM) does it take to equal the likes of a Deltec??

which model are you wanting to compare?

ive got a g3 on my 90, paid $250, love it.

viggen
03/21/2006, 05:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7007593#post7007593 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Mr James

ASM vs ER

You are paying for better materials with ER thus the higher price. On some of the larger ER's you are paying for better pumps & then you have the factory RC models which ASM does not do. I would put my ER 12-2/RC500 agains any ASM & I would bet the ER would be the winner :)

ER vs Deltec

Both made of similar materials. Deltecs use to have superior pumps & I am sure they still have the advantage but probably not as much. I have no clue how my ER would compare to a similar Deltec.... no clue :) But it was a $$$ issue for me